Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ethanol Free gas and the EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by jimk55124
True enough but I can show you a lot of folks that don't share your opinion about the quality of ethanol (run it in all your lawn and garden equipment...oh yeah, the state says we don't have to because it's apparently not good for those engines) but then selling corn to the ethanol plants is not our livelihood so we do have a different perspective.
they say it is not requied for lawnmowers, because they are considered ILEV, not because they are harmfull.

i run it through everything ... got tired of having two different gasoline supplies, so i just use e10 in everything. (antique tractor, chainsaw, lawnmowers)

people say that the ethanol burns up small engines, damages pistons ect. but i have yet to see an explanation as to how a fuel that burns cooler, has higher octane, and contains less BTU burns a hole in a piston.

more than likely, the ethanol cleaned the crap out of the tank, and clogged up the carburator causing a lean condition and that's what damaged the engine. to some, the problem was caused by the ethanol, to me, this was caused by the gasoline.... crappy gas leaves deposits which the ethanol can disolve..... chicken and the egg.

i have no direct benefit from the ethanol industry ... i just think it is the right thing to do.

on a side note, I do think it would be interesting to see what emissions equipment would be required on an e85 or e98 vehicle to pass current standards.

i do appreciate the overall positive attiuted of this thread ... it is a touchy subject, and i am well aware of my minority position on this topic.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
jimk55124
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
they say it is not requied for lawnmowers, because they are considered ILEV, not because they are harmfull.

i run it through everything ... got tired of having two different gasoline supplies, so i just use e10 in everything. (antique tractor, chainsaw, lawnmowers)

people say that the ethanol burns up small engines, damages pistons ect. but i have yet to see an explanation as to how a fuel that burns cooler, has higher octane, and contains less BTU burns a hole in a piston.

more than likely, the ethanol cleaned the crap out of the tank, and clogged up the carburator causing a lean condition and that's what damaged the engine. to some, the problem was caused by the ethanol, to me, this was caused by the gasoline.... crappy gas leaves deposits which the ethanol can disolve..... chicken and the egg.

i have no direct benefit from the ethanol industry ... i just think it is the right thing to do.

on a side note, I do think it would be interesting to see what emissions equipment would be required on an e85 or e98 vehicle to pass current standards.

i do appreciate the overall positive attiuted of this thread ... it is a touchy subject, and i am well aware of my minority position on this topic.
Yeah, I do to and that's why I suggested this is not the right forum to pursue this subject. We have differing opinions for different reasons. I had ethanol eat up the fuel pick-up on my rather expensive 24" chain saw and was advised not to use ethanol in any of my small engines by the manufacturer. Ethanol may be getting a somewhat bad rap on some items but it gives poor fuel mileage and so-so performance and is not good in older fuel systems. It's good that MTBE's are gone. I think we should agree to disagree and with that, I'm gone. Have a nice day. Jim

Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
gup
Freshman User
I will continue to use ethanol in my vehicles (no choice), 4-stroke outboards on the fishing boat and pontoon, 4-stroke lawnmowers, bobcat, utv and tractor but will shy away from it with my 2-stroke weedeater and chainsaw. My experience is it has worked fine even with a 1973 skidsteer (Onan motor) and and a 1951 Farmall H. But I maybe wrecked a 2-stroke weedeater using ethanol. It is hard to tell because they make them things to be disposable anyway. Bottom line I still want to be able to chuckle to myself filling up while I say UP YOURS to those that sell us the oil while at the same time wanting to harm us. It may cost me a little more but that is ok. The farmers and others that make their money off the ethanol industry have to be able to afford the products my company and other companies make. That's what makes our country work. But I still want it to be my choice.

Eco-Boost mileage. Overall since took delivery 17.1 combined city/highway. Typical highway/freeway 19+. Best highway on 56 miles loop was 24 mpg with light throttle and braking but still doing speed limit. Mileage achieved on 10% ethanol. I am satified.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I will try my next fill at the Esso gas station up here. I believe they are 100% natural fuel.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Rmorris1953
New User
Little history I started with a 2011 F 150 2X4 SCab ecoboost 3.15 axle and was pleased with the mileage I got. Several long trips of 2,000 miles I got 23 to 24 mpg driving 75. Last year I put 50,000 miles on it. At 85,000 I Traded it on a 2014 F-150 4X4 3.31 axle Scab XLT. I pull a 4,000 Drop Deck trailer that weighs 4,000 lbs empty and can weigh as much as 8,000lbs loaded with vending machines. Seems like less power, a lot less gpm. Best ever was 19 mpg no trailer. When pulling trailer under best conditions empty 11 mpg. Loaded 10 mpg and if windy as low as 6.5 mpg. The last few tanks I have filled with 89 premium 10%. Since gas has dropped to $3.07 for premium I decided to see if there was any difference. Not much if any.
After reading this I checked and found a station selling 91 oct 4 miles from home. I topped it off with 22 gallons of 91 pure gas @ $3.07 a gallon I have a 37 gallon tank and didn't expect to see any change.

I took trailer and 1 machine. Machines are sails. Went straight into 15 mph wind 50 miles. Got 11.5 mpg unloaded and loaded another and returned with the wind at my back. 13 mpg. Things I observed were less down shifting. Stayed in 6th gear running 65. The thing that was most impressive was because it wasn't down shifting RPM's were low 1500 and I could hear the exhaust had a low rumble when it would load up. Feels and sounds different. I have a Ultrgauge I monitor my cat temps,timing, boost pressure etc. All seem better.

Wednesday I will be taking a 150 mile trip loaded about 7,000 lbs straight into a 20-30 mph wind. Last time I got 6.5 mpg ran 4th gear a lot and very seldom got out of 5th even going down hill. Can't wait to see what it does..

Old 11-11-2014, 03:07 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
In our area all gas has ethanol. During the switch over period there were a lot of issues especially in small gas engines and boats. Our 2 cycle weed beater gas tank started leaking, our 4 cycle lawn mower needed new fuel lines and our 2 cycle snow blower burned up. The old lines got soft & wouldn't seal up. Plus anytime you touched them your hands would be black. We were told you need to use 2 Cycle oil designed for ethanol gas to prevent fuel separation. That could have been BS or the truth, at any rate the snow blower was on it 18th winter.
Our old boat we kept at a marine which had pure gas until we sold it and bought a 2005 that was already prepared for ethanol.
Now we have an electric weed beater, an electric leave blower, a new 4 cycle snow blower and our 20+ year old lawn mower still runs. Maybe 4 cycles handle ethanol better?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As of today I have 5400 km on my 14 Ecoboost. I have only put the Shell ethanol free 91 octane in my truck. It is the only fuel I have used in all my vehicles, unless I am in an area without a shell station.
When I restored my 79 I put a new tank in it, 3 months later I pulled the sender and the inside of the tank was a mess. Unfortunately I had only had an esso in the area where I drove it. Never do that again.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:50 AM
bnikrad
New User
Incredible and immediate results on my 2011 F150

I have been at 16.3 mpg for years now and it never changes! UNTIL I TRIED USING 91 octane NON-ethanol. I put in around 6 gallons and mixed in some
Berryman 0116 B-12 Chemtool Carburetor/Fuel Treatment and Injector Cleaner - 15 oz. that I had sitting in my garage...used about 2/3rds of it. I tell you what I just got a bump up up to 23 to 24 MPG and it seems to be staying there, can't wait to put in a full tank at the Holiday (there are 2 by my work that offer the non ethanol). Of course, it will probably be around 3.30 a gallon, but I figure I can use my Cub Foods (supervalu) points there and save an additional 30 to 50 cents off per gallon for at least 20 of those gallons each and every time I visit!

I also can't wait to move to the AEM filter for added performance. I already noticed (from the gas) that my acceleration has been easier, and my truck just runs smoother in general.