Sponsored by: Moser

Goodyear Wrangler vs. Michelin LTX m/s

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler vs. Michelin LTX m/s

Where I live in the mountain west, the only F-150s you'll see on a dealers lot are 4x4 Screws. I notice some have the Goodyear tires, others the Michelin.

My experience with the Wrangers, in the 1990s, was terrible. They lived up to the moniker "Good for one Year." My experience with the LTX is the opposite; the greatest tire on the planet.

So, questions for the Forum:

1st,For those who got the Wranglers and have put a lot of miles on them, what are your comments, good or bad?

2nd, why are the Michelins that Ford uses P rated tires? Remember the fiasco some years ago with the Bridgestone OEM tires blowing ( probably due to under inflation, and speeding?) They were P rated tires from the factory. I have a feeling it's due to cost, and that they're slightly lighter thus a little better on milage. Any comments?

(GM seems to put LT, load range C tires on their equivelent vehicles)

And 3rd, anyone know how to specify the Michelin tires instead of the Wrangers if you order a vehicle?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Wrangler SRA on my truck with 23,000 miles on them. They're ok for factory tires, but nothing I'd ever pay money for on purpose. They are more street radials, where I believe the SRA comes from. I have no experience with the Michelins that are factory provided. I also have no idea how to specify the type of tire when ordering a truck since I've never done that before.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
My truck has Goodyears and I too have not been a fan either. They seem to be too soft and wear faster than what I think is normal. This is my third F-150 with them, and by around 30k miles they always seem to be low on tread. My issue right now is that the tires are rounding on the edges quite a bit, even though with just over 12k miles on them, I have rotated them 3 times. My last truck had BF Goodrich and they wore great, but by the 4th year, they were cracking.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Originally Posted by efx4
My issue right now is that the tires are rounding on the edges quite a bit, even though with just over 12k miles on them, I have rotated them 3 times.
I totally forgot about that. Mine are wearing unevenly even with rotations, etc, too.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
mapitts66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Factory tires on just about any make= crap. My Supercrew 4X4 came with Wrangler AT/S's. At just under 20K they are half gone. Wearing flat and even though. Next up for me will be the Wrangler AT/S Silent Armor. Evein the factory Michelin's on my wife's Escape are crap. She had a Fusion before that with factory Michelin's. On ONE trip I had to replace 2 tires. Ford would only put the OEM tire on as a replacement. As soon as I got home I replaced with them with a set of Goodyears and never looked back.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
mstng5point0
Junior User
My truck came with Goodyear at/s right off the lot they have a wooble to them that is causing a shake. Going to the dealer wensday morning to have them replaced with a new set. They look like a decent highway tire but i guess i will find out. The Michelin LTX M/S is prolly the best highway tread tire you are going to get in my opinion. From what i have seen they last forever.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM
4VCobraSVT
Junior User
My FX4 came with P series Goodyears and I have never had a set of Goodyear's that I liked yet. It was another $400 to order LT series tires and they were still GY's so I didn't bother checking that box off. I find these tires very soft and not great in snow. When these are wore down I will be putting on Michelin LTX AT2's LTX A/T2 | Michelin Tires I have had these on my last truck and was very pleased with their grip, wear and lack of road noise.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
lukewdavison
New User
i had goodyear wranglers on my 09 and when i get my 2012 in a few weeks im getting new tires immediately.. ive had such bad luck with those tires.. caught 5 nails on a trip to north carolina and seemed like they found everything else that could puncture them on the road

Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I've only had bad luck with "Good for a year" tires. I had a set of Michelin ATX AT2"s on a 2006 F250 work truck that always carried at least 1000lbs of tools & off road diesel fuel, The truck also regularly towed skidsteers & a mini excavator that wieghs about 12000lbs plus the weight of the trailer. The michelins had 105,000 miles on them with enough tread on them for another 10-15000 miles left on them when I was given a 2012 F350, the 2012 came with michelins so we'll see if these last as long.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I have Goodyear AT/S tires on my 2010 Screw, LT rating, and at 55k they will most likely go to 75k easily. I'm very happy with them, but will most likely buy a new rig before tires.

The Goodyear SRA's are the junk. I ran Michelin LX AT/2's on my 2008 Screw, and as a road tire and in rain, great. Snow, forget it. I went hunting in the woods one year with the Michelins, and that was enough.

Looking at a new rig now, and before it comes home, it will most likely have BFG AT KO's.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:29 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Does everybody really find the SR-As to be that poor of a tire. Since I've only my '95 with Transforce ATs to compare to, I don't have a well rounded experience to draw from. How much of that credit goes to the SR-As and how much goes to the addition of ABS, traction control, softer suspension, independent front with coil springs, and overall almost 20 years of engineering, but I'd say the tires are no worse than the Firestone's on my '95, and I've managed to make it through a lot with those.

Either way, I'll be dealing with the tires for quite a while; I've got 8 tires between the factory installed set and the set that I purchased with the wheels I wanted to mount my winter tires on.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A buddy of mine had the Michelin MS/2's on his F250 and they began chunking on him. He has since switched to the Toyo Open Country tires. He lost a bit of milage with the Toyo's but so far likes them. (I guess the rolling resistance is a bit higher than the Michelins)

I will be going to the Michelin LTX MS2's when I need new tires. The Bridgestone Dueller's I have on now so far are ok. (to my surprise) I have not tried them out on the snow as of yet...and they seem ok so far in the rain.

Here's one thing I think is great about the Toyo tires...they have a satisfaction guarantee! This is what it says...
Buy 'em, try 'em, love 'em - or bring 'em back
Buy a set of four eligible Toyo Tires passenger or light truck tires* from a participating Toyo Tires dealer and try them on your vehicle for up to 500 miles or 45 days from the original purchase, whichever comes first.
If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance, just return the tires, with your original sales receipt and the specific reason you are not satisfied, to the dealer where purchased.
The dealer will replace the tires or refund the purchase price, including charges for mounting and balancing

You don't get that from any other tire company that I have seen. The Toyo's also have a really high milage rating of 65,000!

Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Rob, the Dueler Alenza's are not a poor performer as of yet and for once I'm "pleased" with the factory offerings on a truck. With that said, I do miss my LTX M/S2s that were on the 2006. I had 40k miles on those tires and at least 1/3-1/2 life remaining. They are stellar, let me repeat, stellar tires. I wish they looked a little more aggressive on the sidewalls though, similar to the Toyo Open Country AT2.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
Wow! A blast from the past. I started this threat 2 years ago, and 6 months before
I took delivery of my new F-150. And it came with the dreaded Goodyear Wranglers.

I had two sets on my previous truck, a 95 Silverado, and they were unbelievably bad.
3 out of 4 went out of round, could not be balanced, wore terribly. I don't remember why I put a 2nd set on after 20K miles. I think it was a warrenty replacement. And that
set didn't do any better.

I have to somewhat eat my words now, as I answer my own question. I have 30,000 miles on them on my new truck, and really have no complaint this time. I get them rotated every 5000 mi and
they're running good and wearing well.

That said, I will replace them with them with Michelin LTX M/S when the time comes.
I had them on a 91 Bronco, and two sets on the Silverado. I feel there is no better truck tire for cruising on road, out there. Maybe some about as good, but not better for the way I drive, summer and
winter in snow country.

I was told back in the 80s, by a guy who worked as a tire maker, for a tire manufacturer in Memphis,
that Michelin had a secret process for distributing the rubber compound in the mold
that allowed their tires to be more true then any other on the market.

This agrees with what the guy that owns the tire store I deal with has said a number of times. He sells a lot of LTXs, and says they require a lower amount of balancing weight and
have fewer problems then anything else he sells.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
n2umr
Senior User
I put a set of the M/S2's on my '11 Lariat Screw at about 22000 miles after my Pirellis were shot. Not overly pleased with the Michelins. Just hit 40000 had them rotated for the 4th time and they reported the tread depth to be 7/32. Wearing pretty quick, I'll be needing a set by next winter since I drive in snow. I'll go back to Cooper or similar, cost less and get about the same mileage.

Mark

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler vs. Michelin LTX m/s