1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

trying to determine my truck's history

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
From what I see of those pictures, that looks to me like a standard dually configuration (not that I've seen too many).

That 3" spacer, now that I know what you're talking about, isn't that standard?

The front wheel also looks like a standard dually config.... the wheels & tires can be installed on either the front or back.

But I know virtually nothing about the duallies.......
No, those are not standard. Those look like standard non-dually parts with spacers added.

I'm not 100% sure but I do not think F-350 4x4 Crewcab duallies were sold direct by Ford in 1986.

It wouldn't put it past Ford in a special fleet vehicle build, to cobble together one for a customer though... IE: outsource the spacers after the initial build. Especially if the bed of this pickup is factory dually configuration.

And to theorize... This would explain some, but not all horendous contradictions in the manuals too.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Cavstoy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dohc_chump
Since I read your thread this morning I've been trying to find all the records I was given with one of my trucks to check against your info. My '86 4x4 crew had the same dually conversion done and was part of a fleet that serviced Wrigley Field. Now I'm curious to see if mine is listed as a F351.
I see the hub center on yours is the same as mine. I found a dually down the road and the hub center sticks out about 5" so there is definitely something going on

Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Guess I don't know my duallies all that well.

No surprise there....

Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Since I read your thread this morning I've been trying to find all the records I was given with one of my trucks to check against your info. My '86 4x4 crew had the same dually conversion done and was part of a fleet that serviced Wrigley Field. Now I'm curious to see if mine is listed as a F351.

I would be highly interested in seeing your safety certification lable as well if you can. Or at the very least your vin number and the Model GVWR code. I want to see if it closely matches cavstoy's lable and makes Chris and my books look foolish...

Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes, anything you can provide, Anthony, would be cool.

Although I'll likely stay quiet, I know virtually nada about duallies and am going only on what I remember seeing in the junk yards which obviously makes me look like an inept fool.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
drumfield
Tuned

If you go back through the posts, one of the responses was that the Factory Original SRW and DRW axles were different lengths, but used the same hub. Those are aftermarket spacers on a SRW axle.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
I'm not 100% sure but I do not think F-350 4x4 Crewcab duallies were sold direct by Ford in 1986.
According to a 1986 F series sales brochure you are correct, they do not show a 4X4 F350 dually available.

Those front wheels look nothing like mine all 7 (I have a spare) of mine are deep dish rims with a flat face where the floating washer nuts tighten. The rear spacers look like they are attached with the original lugs and then provide the needed bolt length for the duals.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Cavstoy
Senior User
I am pretty sure my wheels are aftermarket. Truck came fromthe dealership with dual afaik

Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally found them and it is indeed listed as an F351 with a 9200 GVWR. Silly books...

Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
It was mentioned a couple posts up, and it seems this rule I have been told has not been broken by Ford; They did not make a dually 4x4 of any kind EXCEPT a cab and chassis truck. And a dually pickup bed will not fit a cab and chassis frame.

Why they would not put a 4x4 front axle under a regular dually pickup I do not know(people do it in their backyard all the time) but it seems they did not break the rule for this truck, thus the SRW axle with the adapters.

Sometime in the late 90's they did start offering dually 4x4 pickups. I saw a f450 4x4 the other day and that's a awesome pickup.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Originally Posted by Franklin2
It was mentioned a couple posts up, and it seems this rule I have been told has not been broken by Ford; They did not make a dually 4x4 of any kind EXCEPT a cab and chassis truck. And a dually pickup bed will not fit a cab and chassis frame.

Why they would not put a 4x4 front axle under a regular dually pickup I do not know(people do it in their backyard all the time) but it seems they did not break the rule for this truck, thus the SRW axle with the adapters.

Sometime in the late 90's they did start offering dually 4x4 pickups. I saw a f450 4x4 the other day and that's a awesome pickup.
Easier to convert the rear to duals vs. converting coils to leafs, setting up an axle to run coils, or finding a coil sprung d60.

Here's the bed on my '86 when I was switching back to SRW.

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Cavstoy
I am pretty sure my wheels are aftermarket. Truck came from the dealership with dual afaik
I wouldn't doubt it.

That's most likely why the books contradict itself and states that it is a dually, and a single rear axle, as well as a pickup and a cab and chassis by the codes on the safety certification lable. It's both and neither. It was special Fleet ordered that way and outsourced somewhere before it was picked up at the dealer or by the dealer I would think.

There are F-150s with 8 lug wheels out there Fleet special ordered as well. Followed that thread when numberdummy was having trouble finding any info on that too.

Finally found them and it is indeed listed as an F351 with a 9200 GVWR. Silly books...
Hmmm, and I bet the Model/GVWR code on the safety certification lable is W361 too huh?

Originally Posted by Franklin2

Why I'm thinking Cavstoy, and dohc_chump trucks was a F-350 4x4 CrewCab single rear wheel drive unit fleet ordered with a Dually bed fenders bolted down to it for a conversion to be done later by outsourcing.

It's the only thing I can think of as why the books are stating that they are dual rear wheel, but yet single rear, both 4x4, yet 2wd, and both pickups and cab and chassis at the same time according to cavastoy's lables.

You got to admit, that's pretty weird for the books to say...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Cavstoy
Senior User
Gotta say, I find this rather cool. Soooo, would it be easier to swap my entire bed or just do new bedsides on my bed. My bed is a 7/10 as far as rust, but the tailgate is fubar. Anyone near pittsburgh just dying for drw and wanna swap junk?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Hmmm, and I bet the Model/GVWR code on the safety certification lable is W361 too huh?
This part I can't provide anymore. The trucks been parted out and pieced out and the cab is nothing but a shield, a little roof, a bit of floor and a firewall. I'm a little bummed that I don't have this info to share. I was telling a friend about this and I guess at the Chevy dealership he worked for they referred to these as "upfitted" vehicles.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 AM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
This part I can't provide anymore. The trucks been parted out and pieced out and the cab is nothing but a shield, a little roof, a bit of floor and a firewall. I'm a little bummed that I don't have this info to share. I was telling a friend about this and I guess at the Chevy dealership he worked for they referred to these as "upfitted" vehicles.
Yeah it would have been cool to have that information as well. Ah well.

I'm glad Ford wasn't the only company to do this type of thing. "Upfitted" vehicles eh? Very interesting info.

Gotta love this forum.

Quick Reply: trying to determine my truck's history