6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil cooler and bullet proof EGR cooler failure in 2k miles!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil cooler and bullet proof EGR cooler failure in 2k miles!?!

A friend of mine has an 05, he bought the truck and put less then 1k miles on the truck.

He bought it and got a reciept for new oil cooler and bullet proof egr cooelr from sinister the company in R.I. did the work about 1k miles before he bought it. So that being said there was less then 2k miles on them.

Well the other day he calls saying the truck is smoking running rough etc.

I get there he starts it and its smoking white, then all of a sudden coolant is pouring out of the exhaust. I pulled the EGR valve and its coolant soaked, down pipe full of coolant, pulled the intake full of coolant.

So I figured the oil cooler failed, then it took the EGR cooler with it.

Sinister sent him a new cooler for free(lifetime warranty) and refunded him for the new oil cooelr he bought from Ford.

Now..my question is, WHY...Why did these blow in such low miles? Was the system never flushed? Or it could have just been a faulty EGR cooler that caused the same symptoms as a bad EGR cooler that blew because of the oil cooler.

What should we do to ensure this doesn't blow again?

I recommended the scangauge II since the day he bought it...I think he just ordered one after its too late

Thanks guys!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
was it a EGR deleate or just upgraded cooler

Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to know without knowing the ECT/EOT spread. My guess would be a faulty EGR cooler given the low miles since the install and the sinister cooler isn't supposed to fail. I would definitely do a flush before installing a new oil cooler and monitor those temps.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Sinister makes their own version of the upgraded EGR cooler, but it does not come from BulletProofDiesel. That being said, even the best companies can have an issue w/ workmanship.

I know that BPD had a couple of their coolers fail - they tracked it down to a new welder they had hired ..... just poor quality welds.

Good to hear that Sinister made good on the parts. Are they going to inspect their cooler for a failure analysis?

I would have him drain the coolant ASAP and report back on what it looks like.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Welp, we drained the coolant into an oily bucket so its going to be hard to see if anything comes/came out.

The thing is...we never flushed it before we did anything. I just tore into it.

Would it hurt anything to flush the hell out of it after getting the work done?

I really hope he did buy the scangauge for his sake so this does NOT happen again.

Sinister gave him a new EGR cooler no questions asked, its on the way, as far as the oil cooler I believe they want the old one back before he gets any credit. I don't know what they are going to do as far as the EGR cooler, my guess is its a faulty cooler from them, because less then 2k and its blown again?

I, also, recommended a coolant filter will also help him out in this situation.

Were going to change the oil after this, then flush the crap out of the cooling system, and take it for a ride and see what the temps look like.

The screen under the oil cooler was NOT ripped or broken, but there was crap gummed up on it, its hard to say what it looked like though..sandy/dirt would be my best guess. Which worried me, and has me thinking that the system was never flushed after the work was done.

I just hope this works out for him, its his second 6.0 in less then 2 months, his first one(04) died over and over again, the dealer gave him a full refund and he bought this one.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Tyler you might could try and just stick a water hose in it and flush that way better than nothing

let the garden hose run threw the heater core & radiator at the upper hose inlet then stick it right in the thermistat hole and let it run out the block drain plugs anything is better than nothing

I would try and clean the cooling system alittle B4 you put a new oil cooler to it and start it up

I am wondering if just the EGR cooler had a manufacture defect or something I guess thats what you guys are wondering too

Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Tyler you might could try and just stick a water hose in it and flush that way better than nothing

let the garden hose run threw the heater core & radiator at the upper hose inlet then stick it right in the thermistat hole and let it run out the block drain plugs anything is better than nothing

I would try and clean the cooling system alittle B4 you put a new oil cooler to it and start it up

I am wondering if just the EGR cooler had a manufacture defect or something I guess thats what you guys are wondering too

Yepp thats exactly what were wondering, hope thats all it was.

Ill keep ya'll posted.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Okay guys...I need a little help!!!

We got everything back together, turbo in and lined up to the best of my ability and started it up. Started up right away, no problems.

Smokey, some injector knock, rough idle...No biggy. Normal for all this work done.

Well, I CANNOT and I mean CANNOT get that turbo to line up with the up pipe, the down pipe is way out of the way. I do NOT want to loosen the bolts to the manifold because if they break thats a whole new project.

My idea was to loosen the ped bolts to the turbo(the 4 10mm bolts) then slide the turbo into its place with the up-pipe tighten the clamp down then wiggle the turbo around to get the 4 10mm bolts back in??? Some input would be great!

Now, my next question is...While the truck was running for a few seconds(30 max) there was a coolant/oily looking fluid coming out of the down pipe, it had a greenish color to it but also looked like oil. Could it be coolant mixed in with the soot from the intake/exhaust all coming out and giving the oil type look? By the feel of it, it felt way to thin to be oil, I tried to taste it, but couldn't get much of a taste. I just want to make sure I didn't screw up putting the new oil cooler in, I put all new gaskets and seals, and I am almost positive they all stayed in place.

Anyways, thanks for your help as always!

I've never felt so defeated in my life.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:02 AM
pizza pig
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should have flushed the cooling system before doing the work, risk of clogging up a new oil cooler... again

Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
I believe it was a faulty EGR cooler that failed and not the oil cooler clogging that lead to the EGR cooler blowing.

Gauges will let us know what they temps are looking like.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90

My idea was to loosen the ped bolts to the turbo(the 4 10mm bolts) then slide the turbo into its place with the up-pipe tighten the clamp down then wiggle the turbo around to get the 4 10mm bolts back in??? Some input would be great!
Tyler, that is how I had to line up my Y-Pipe. It worked great for me.

BTW- I have about 10K on my Sinister EGR cooler. I have not read of any other failures so I have my fingers crossed!!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 AM
pizza pig
New User
It wouldnt surprise me in the least that the cooler was faulty, gauges will tell the truth.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
Tyler, that is how I had to line up my Y-Pipe. It worked great for me.

BTW- I have about 10K on my Sinister EGR cooler. I have not read of any other failures so I have my fingers crossed!!
I think I am going to try that first! Before I loosen up any bolts to the manifolds.

I believe Greg( Pizza Pig) Is going to take a look at it also, to see if he has any tricks up his sleeves.

As soon as we get all of this work done, I told him its a MUST to get somekind of gauge(s) to watch temps.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Tyler don't take this wrong but haven't you done this to your old truck quite a few times? I would think this would be a walk in the park for you. But they can be i PITA , the easiest way for me leave the turbo bolts out completely get pipes in place and install bolts works every time good luck.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
thats why its driving me nuts!!!
I did mine 100's of times.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler and bullet proof EGR cooler failure in 2k miles!?!