6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Transfer Flow's Trax-II in-bed fuel tank

Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 AM
desertnomad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Flow's Trax-II in-bed fuel tank

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting one of these installed. I'm undecided on a 50 or a 75gal tank. I'm finding many folks seem to go with the 50 but I can get the the 75gal installed for only $40 more.
The only major differences I'm aware of with the larger size is

- extra bed weight
- filler neck sticks above the bed rail
- hurting more at the pump

Anything else I'm missing or should be aware of?

Also, for those who had either one installed where did you have the digital gauge mounted?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My gauge is mounted on top of the dash and as far left as I could get it, right above the air vent as deep towards the windshield I could get it. Honestly, it was the only place that I could go with it due to the length of the wire/cable that goes to it from under the truck where the wires splice into the trucks wiring.

I love the tank and the whole system. Automatic worry free use of 76 gallons of diesel.

The only thing I need to keep an eye on is the in-line fuel filter I installed between the tank supply line and the truck fuel tank. It gets clogged with fine particles after about 500 gallons of transfer. I'm sure it's just rust and dust from inside the transfer tank. I bought mine used so the condition of it is not new, I have no idea if the original owner let it sit dry or abused it.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I can't think of anything else that would be a negative with getting the larger tank... I would bet everyone likes the lower profile look of the 50 as the most compelling reason to NOT get the 75.

IMHO, If everything fits below the bedrails you can out a cover on and you would never know that there is a transfer tank on board... A lot of us have our trucks as family movers and daily drivers as well as needing to pull something. While we want the functionality, we don't want the look of a work truck.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
I went with the 50 gallon tank so my cover would still work. We got it so we could avoid trying to find fuel while traveling with our 35' 5th wheel. With 75 usable gallons (I hate to invade the last few gallons in either tank) I have a towing range of 750 miles.

The controller is mounted with double stick tape so it's not as obvious from the outside. Wouldn't want some uninformed thief to think it was a GPS and make off with it!

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,330 Likes on 1,760 Posts
I've wanted an aux tank ever since I bought my truck, only problem was paying for it to begin with and the amount of time it will take to return on the investment. The ROI works out to YEARS, like anywhere from 8 to 12 YEARS to recoup the money you save by buying fuel at some place that is 5 or 10 cents a gallon cheaper than some other place.

I still want one for the convenience but won't buy until I can find a solution that doesn't have such a high initial cost.

As to the pain at the pump of filling a 75 gallon tank as opposed to a 50 is a non-issue, you are going to buy the fuel anyway at the next fuel up.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I've wanted an aux tank ever since I bought my truck, only problem was paying for it to begin with and the amount of time it will take to return on the investment. The ROI works out to YEARS, like anywhere from 8 to 12 YEARS to recoup the money you save by buying fuel at some place that is 5 or 10 cents a gallon cheaper than some other place.

I still want one for the convenience but won't buy until I can find a solution that doesn't have such a high initial cost.

As to the pain at the pump of filling a 75 gallon tank as opposed to a 50 is a non-issue, you are going to buy the fuel anyway at the next fuel up.
I'm stuck in the same place.. $850 for an in bed 60 gal tank?! yeow!..

Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
We all are in the same place on the price... I do a poor man's AUX tank and use several 5 gal jerry cans at the moment - that I have laying around anyways, when I go on long drives. I don't carry the extra weight around, unless I need to. Those have been paid for years ago in savings, even at .05/.1 a Gal. I bought 5 in a package on sale for $20 a long time ago.

You get AUX tanks for convenience and extra range, not because you will EVER save ANY money doing it. Exception, if you were on the Canada/US line and routinely drove around in Canada and the AUX tank made it so you didn't have fuel up in Canada. Since in Canada, fuel is typically $1 a more per gal. And in rural Canada it is up to several $ more a gal. (Yep, saw Diesel and RUG for $1.99 a LITER when it was $3.89/Gal here) Mostly paid $1.59/Ltr or around $6/Gal. Even if you took worst case scenario that benefited you the most and said I saved $5/gal. you still need to save buying 170 gal. or take that 4th trip with your 60 gal. tank for ROI. I just don't drive to the wilds often enough at the moment. Most of the time you might save $1 per gal going in/out of Canada which means 850 Gal, and a dime means 8,500 gal. or around 85k miles pulling a trailer.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Thanks gents for all the info! Yes, agree its for longer range and convenience. I've been out camping to places where I go off in one direction which has no fuel stations and before I can head out the next day I have to travel the opposite direction 60-90 miles to fill up again. Have the entire summer off this year so to me will be worth the money but obviously its still a steep price to justify.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Of course there are much less expensive tanks than the one the OP is considering.

You can get a basic tank with a gravity fill to the main tank for about $500 to $600.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Of course there are much less expensive tanks than the one the OP is considering.

You can get a basic tank with a gravity fill to the main tank for about $500 to $600.
I'm interested in your source..

best I have found is the RDS 72771 60 gal $529+ $106 shipping (not in store) +fill kit $80+ tax = 767.09. just shy of $800.
the 72743, which is in the store is $780+$80 + tax = 913.75

I priced out a custom built tank, same size, it was $75 more.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Wasn't including shipping, which you'd have to pay for any tank.

Have seen some in Tractor supply, some at Northern tool.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
I agree the initial cost is a bit on the high side, more so if you have it installed by a dealer and there is no return on investment. But then again, this is our travel truck bought with the express purpose of towing the RV. Anything that makes that easier or more convenient is, for us, worth the money.

After trying to maneuver a 35' 5th wheel behind an 8' bed crew cab truck in and out of gas stations or putting up with the looks and interesting hand gestures from professional drivers (can't really blame them, they're trying to make a living and time is money) when using the truck stop pumps, the extra capacity was a no-brainer.

Looked at another way, the installed cost of the Transfer Flow tank was less the 2% the cost of the rest of the rig!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree it's very high and it is well below cost of the Titan products.

The roi is pretty short for some of us when other things are factored, like time spent at fuel stops. I used to fill up 3-4 times/day which really adds up. Now I can drive all day and part way home. Doesn't take as long to pee as it does to feed the truck.

I got lucky, my tank was purchased from an individual on Craig's list. I paid half of the cost for new, so I'm in for $400.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by n3hcp
After trying to maneuver a 35' 5th wheel behind an 8' bed crew cab truck in and out of gas stations or putting up with the looks and interesting hand gestures from professional drivers (can't really blame them, they're trying to make a living and time is money) when using the truck stop pumps, the extra capacity was a no-brainer.
I never sweat the 18 wheelers at the truck stops, I'm doing the same job they are, driving my truck for a living, and if they don't like it then LUMP 'EM!!!

The good thing that not having an aux tank does for me is force me to stop every once in a while. I can usually go 350 miles before getting too close to the low fuel warning, so usually only have to stop for fuel twice a day. And of course when not towing I'm good for close to twice that many miles.

As I stated, I'd like to have 80 or 90 extra gallons of fuel just so I could be more selective about where I stop for fuel, buy when it is cheapest, but shelling out the bucks to do it always pulls me up short.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Cajunboxer
Senior User
Originally Posted by desertnomad
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting one of these installed. I'm undecided on a 50 or a 75gal tank. I'm finding many folks seem to go with the 50 but I can get the the 75gal installed for only $40 more.
The only major differences I'm aware of with the larger size is

- extra bed weight
- filler neck sticks above the bed rail
- hurting more at the pump

Anything else I'm missing or should be aware of?

Also, for those who had either one installed where did you have the digital gauge mounted?

I did the 50 gal / toolbox combo setup. Here is a few pics

Got the monitor mounted in the left corner