Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project TGM

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh the gauge pictures were from when i went to lunch at work, and ya my truck couldn't make it. I didn't have it floored cause i don't know really how the Tcase will hold up to the super ultra power that TGM has XD, Plus that was my first time doing anything like that so i was a bit nervous of breaking something or flipping backwards... Maybe this weekend i will try again but i think i will use 4hi this time, plus i don't even know if 4lo works, i never used it. I know 4hi does cause i used it in the snow and it did a better job of pulling my truck than my rear wheels did pushing I was going to try again today but i had to go to the store to get new boots cause mine leak water and i didn't want to do it in the dark again. The hills are fairly steep and there isn't much at the top, there is a ton of fallen branches so i can go anywhere. There is 3 trails and it looks like you go up one side and down the other or something. Like i said i will give it another whack sometime but i will use more gas. The only excuse i can use is human inexperience, though the dirt was damp it wasn't wet enough to keep me from climbing over half way up.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I have a quick question and hopefully someone can answer soon, with a 78 could i use a 4 speed c-6? I am just going to plan on replacing the whole tranny and i might be able to get a deal through my work using Jasper transmission and they have a listing for a 4 and 3 speed auto...

Edit: Nevermind, they only have 2 3 speeds transmissions listed at $1396... Thats pretty expensive and i don't think i can get much discount through my work. Who knows.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 368 Likes on 278 Posts
You can swap in any transmission as long as it has the BBF 460 bellhousing. It may take a bit of work to make everything line up but itd bolt to engine.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ya, i am waiting on a price for one through my work... I forgot to ask when i left so i don't know if they called Jasper yet. NEWS, MY TRUCK IS A FRIGGEN BEAST DDDDD I finally made it up that hill, i had to have it in 4 hi it was crazy, i tried on one side and didn't have enough momentum to get it up there so i went from another side and went ***** to the wall and just hammered it up, i made it though... once i got to the top i was "crap what do i do now" i was tilted towards the passenger side so it felt like i was going to tip over. I got out to get a few pictures and almost hit myself in the face with the door cause it the weight of it was doubled.... I pretty much did a 20 point turn till i was lined up enough with the center hill and went back down, then when i took it out of 4wd i went to leave and it felt like the brakes were stuck so i made sure it was out of 4wd and made sure the lockers were unlocked but it was still having a tough time, i figured i will get it home before i fiddle with it and as soon as i got onto the asphalt of the parking lot it started hopping... Well the 4wd was still engaged until i put it in reverse to go back to the dirt and then it was fine... I read in my chilton manual about that and if it doesn't unlock to roll it back a little and try again. It was weird though.
Th pictures don't really show the hill but it was about as tall as a single story house and about as steep as.... something that is steep

Their also better lit this time.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So did an oil change on TGM yesterday, it was pretty easy with it lifted i just wish i made the better choice of doing it on the paved part of my driveway, the creeper doesn't like gravel all that much... I kind of made a mess though cause when i was loosening the drain plug for some reason it slipped out of my hand and hit me in the head, then i guess my hand splattered oil all over the cardboard i was "trying' to roll on... BTW for those who don't know, card board is not easy to roll a creeper on. Anyways so i am hoping this will help my oil pressure out and maybe keep it from leaking as bad by using 15-40 oil. But i don't know yet. I also made a mess while putting oil in it because i felt i was cool enough to not need a funnel... The first regular quart went in but the 4 quart jug i had when i went to pour it every time it would bubble and surge it would go past the hole and onto the valve cover, then proceeded to leak down on everything else and onto the ground.... I was trying not to make a mess but i made one. I also figured out i despise for for the placement of the oil filter on the 400, right above the track bar and the front diff, i had to crawl onto the driver side fender to reach down next to my hot manifold to twist it off.

Lastly i know my transmission is getting bad cause when i went to leave to get the oil from the local Wally world it wouldn't engage into reverse, it barely went into drive but no reverse until ir ran for a little then it would engage just enough to where if i hit the gas it would move a little but it slipped real bad. Then i got fed up and just held the gas slowly rolling up the hill and all of a sudden BAM! It slams into reverse and causes the tires to spit gravel from spinning. I am getting tired of this nonsense it is time to start pulling strings and get this mother effer fixed.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Have you check the trans fluid level? Might be low or need new filter.

Aa for your leaking have you found ns out where it's leaking from? Mine had a bad pan gasket I thought but turns out it was just loose bolts. Dry as a new car now.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I haven't looked for the leak yet, as for the tranny it could be a filter i guess but the fluid was fine when i checked it. It has just been getting worse and worse and i am getting a deal from my work, a new/rebuilt C-6 for $1,345 which from what i understand is a pretty good deal. Then i need a torque converter and flywheel. I could get it rebuilt but it seems better to just replace the whole thing, that way the down time is minimized to possibly just the weekend instead of waiting for it to be rebuilt, especially since i don't really have a second vehicle. I did however pick up some parts at the local junkyard one being a newer dash panel trim with silver instead has no cracks or anything and still has the original radio cutout with the original dash vent opening. Of course that will get knocked out to fit my coolant temp gauge and since i don't have dash vents i am not worried. My old one has the wood trim stuff and its kinda broken... And i got the springy factory antenna which is missing the smallest slide piece with the ball on the end but it doesn't bother me, i don't have a radio for it, i just figured i would get this now instead of passing it up and regretting it.

I also stopped by down the road from the JY to look at a bronco that someone was selling and my mom let me know about it... Unfortunately it was trashed, i think it was an 89 or something and the only thing that caught my interest was the brush guard on the front and that had a bit of rust near the bolt holes. I might still go and look into it more but the rest is trashed.... Kinda sad.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
FYI, if I buy a 78/79 it's all your frickin fault man.. I love your Bronco.
They really are THE toughest looking vehicles to ever go into production.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
What ErrorS said^^^

1345 is not a great deal for a C-6, unless that includes being installed. My local Advance said they could get me one for around 1100 w/TC. I'd shop around before forking out that kind of money...and you'd still need a convertor.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Yea, what about having your trans rebuilt? I had the C6 in mine built. granted I pulled it and reinstalled it. but the only orignal parts are the case and factory deep aluminum pan. Also I beleive some of the gears are as well. but everything else has been upgraded to had 700 plus hp. I paid about $600, and that included a new perf. 1800-2000 stall 10inch converter.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That might be an option, i still haven't bought it yet. I can't go through Advanced cause i don't have one and i don't trust O'Reillys with something like that. Jasper is a well known trans motor company through a lot of dealerships. They have their warranty, but i had thought about the idea of getting it rebuilt i just don't know of anywhere that will do it for fairly cheap and i would need it done that day or early the next cause i need to pull it out and re install it within 2 days. I have no back up vehicle readily available unless my mom lets me use her recently fixed van. I had thought about looking around craigslist or something for one but i wouldn't trust those unless it was recently done with a new warranty that would still apply if sold. I have no experience pulling a tranny so i figure i will have a few issues and it will take me a while. I am also sure most places won't be rebuilding trannys on sunday. Like i said i have no experience on this so i could be wrong but it seems likely. I don't want to fork out 1300 for a transmission but i also don't want to have my truck offline for too long cause we just fixed my moms van and i don't want to have to take that away and use it.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Also, thanks guys this is the oldest vehicle i have owned and i would have to say the coolest. It gets looks and comments and terrible fuel mileage but even with it's problems i love it to death. It looks mean and sounds meaner, probably smells the meanest > I think the best thing about sidepipes is pulling up to someone in a lowered car and smashing the gas... They cut me off i blow them a nice kiss of carbon monoxide plus it's noisy. It doesn't have the acceleration of past vehicles but it can go places those couldn't and its a lot more roomier. I could sleep maybe 5 to 6 people in there... 2 on the seats on on the floor behind the front and 2 or 3 in the back... Mobile home of sorts. I also like it a lot cause i don't see them anywhere, i see a ton of blazers but no broncos of this range in years. They just removed the only 79 bronco in our junkyard out to somewhere else and not i only have newer ones and trucks to pick though.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
As an update i have only done cosmetic stuff for the moment. I cleaned up the back end behind the seats cause it was a damned mess i didn't vacuumm cause i'm lazy but i did get something else and it was free too. So this is what my *** end looked like normally, the only difference is the sleeping bag was unrolled and under the wood pile.

So i started pullin stuff out. I shall explain some items. Firs toff the tool boxes... Pretty obvious, jumper cables for reasons, sleeping bag for the off chance i do some freeway camp outs or i stay at a friends house or just get cold, Craftsman jacket buried under everything for when i'm cold and my Carhartt isn't helping, there is a small orange strap in there i stole from my works dumpster, i got 2 an done was cut so i fixed it and now i only have one for whatever purpose i can think of. There is some other small things like a bag of cinnamon scented pinecones that don't work, a Rugby ball i also stole from the dumpster, and some other things.

Now i will show you my goodies i got today. These are floor mat sections from a Honda Pilot But you wouldn't know it unless you saw the Pilot logo and knew what a honda pilot was, anyways this was in a pile of rubber floormats next to our detail shop and since i wanted to look busy i decided to throw those away since they had been there for almost a year. I saw these and figured they would fit TGM pretty well and protect my already crappy carpet from more water and stuff. The smaller one is behind the front bench and it fits perfectly back there, the big section is kind of a plastic rubber material so it is lighter but stiffer and didn't fit so well so i had chop about 2 inches off. Not an issue now it is good.

This is what the back section looks like now without my crap on it:

And this (if you can see it) is the rear floormats:

Ok so those are cool and onto the finished look I put everything back all neat and organized, i had a bag of 100 red shop towels from samsclub and found the rest of my pile in the depths of the wood pile, so i shook them all out and restacked them i also stacked the wood nicely. The rugby ball is still in there incase i want to throw it around with a friend or w/e, the white rope is actually clothesline that i bought thinking it was regular rope. I also got a 14' tow rope in case i need it and as always a roll of duck tape there is a few small things elsewhere i can't think of but that just means it is well hidden so it looks clean.
Now then after all this was said and done i went to close up my gate and rol my window up and guess what!! Window didn't budge So i grabbed my drill and pulled my panel off (my window stuff works with the gate down) and fiddles around but couldn't get it to move. Finally in my angry fury i pushed hard on my aftermarket dash switch and the window moved a little... Hope was restored. I went over and puled on it to get it out further and was making sure it was on track and everything, tried the switch but it wouldn't move so now that it was out a little i put the panel back on and went back to the switch and pushed hard. It moved a little so i slammed my palm on it and held it there and my window lifted its fat butt u[ the track slowly but without stopping. I have renewed faith that i might not need a motor. I do need to look at the wiring for that switch though.

And lastly i have a picture of both my odo and my color tag, turns out i only have 25,336 original miles NOT i don't know how much but probably over 200k

If anyone could be kind enough to try figuring out my original color i would be very grateful

Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Those mats look great. Free is always a plus too!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Thanks, i think they look pretty good too. I get free mats all the time that get tossed in the dumpster either cause of stains or discoloration.

Quick Reply: Project TGM