6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Def system delete kit?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Eliteac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Def system delete kit?

Thinking of performing the delete kit for my new 2012 f350 diesel. I'm not sure yet if it's worth risking the loss of my warranty. Any thoughts or ideas? Is anyone using one on theirs and if so which ones are recommended? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

I am just curious. Admittedly i am pretty much in the "stock" crowd when it comes to engine/exhaust.

Having said that why would you want to trade off warranty for the delete? Are the benefits worth the risk in your mind? Not a shot, jsut want to know what you are thinking.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Eliteac
New User
I'm told that I will gain hp, fuel economy and not have to deal with constantly adding the fluid.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eliteac
I'm told that I will gain hp, fuel economy and not have to deal with constantly adding the fluid.
Yes, Yes, and Yes. Don't forget about added sound and black smoke!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
6.7L
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure it will have some impact to your warranty but not sure if there will be any noticeable increase in HP with a DEF delete, may be if you also change the pipes with less restriction in back pressure. IMO, this is a NOT a good HP mod for the money.

Adding DEF is not that big of a deal, not any harder than adding window washing fluid.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
fixdent
Senior User

Lots of hp already....won't get much, if any better fuel economy, and you hardly ever have to add fluid. I don't even think about that anymore. I'd keep the warranty if I were you.

--
Gordon

Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Mcmurphrjk
Freshman User
I suspect that you would gain a lot more mileage, were you to delete the DPF.
It actually uses fuel for the burnoff.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Grassman09
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mcmurphrjk
I suspect that you would gain a lot more mileage, were you to delete the DPF.
It actually uses fuel for the burnoff.
What are you saying here?

DEF and DPF are two different things so is the regen process if that's what you mean or are trying to say.

Big deal dumping in DEF fluid every oil change or so. If thats such a hard task, go back to a gas truck.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Mcmurphrjk
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Grassman09
What are you saying here?

DEF and DPF are two different things so is the regen process if that's what you mean or are trying to say.

Big deal dumping in DEF fluid every oil change or so. If thats such a hard task, go back to a gas truck.
That was my point, it would likely be a greater benefit to delete the DPF and stop using fuel for regen, than mess with the DEF system for what would likely be minimal gain.
If I was determined to delete the DEF, (which I'm not), I would delete both the DEF and the DPF.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Eliteac
New User
It's not that its difficult to add the fluid. It's that I have about 2000 miles on it and I already have a problem with it. I've been doing a lot of reading on here and see that a lot people are havingbthensame problem. After I filled it I received and error saying that the system has malfunctioned and speed will be limited. After asking around locally most are saying rip that piece of crap out of the exhaust for less restriction and use the h&s programmer to delete it. Supposedly I'd get around another 5 mpg. Not sure though. Thats what led me here.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
I wouldn't change the truck till about 80k miles. You have to let the warrenty fix these minor problems.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM
xrated
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've heard, a new crate motor is around $18K! Of course, that doesn't include the labor charges to remove and install the old and new. I think I'll just keep my warranty intact and deal with the DEF and DPF

Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Why don't you simply have them repair the DEF problem. All it does it make the air cleaner for you and me to breath.
Now dont get me wrong if your a mod buff and want more hp then maybe do a comlete DPF and EGR and DEF is for you.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
Search: Powerstrokehelp on YouTube. He does a decent job explaining the def and scr system and why the 6.7L motor doesn't need tuners and deletes. I would wait a bit for the aftermarket to catch up to this motor and save your warranty for a while.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and see that a lot people are havingbthensame problem.
That surprises me. I've on this forum since I bought my 6.7 and although there have been some with problems I've been pleasantly surprised by how few problems have been reported.

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Def system delete kit?