Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Leak Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
OccidentalEx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak Head Gasket?

I have a 2001 7.3 excursion with a oil leak which I need help with. I have already tried the following thing:

Oil is in the valley then leaking down the back of the engine. I have added leak detector and find what appears to be a leak on the passenger side of the engine at the bottom rear of the intake manifold where it attaches to the block. It appears to me to be a head gasket leak.

On reading this forum this appear unlikely so I removed the turbo and turbo pedestal and replaced the seals and deleted the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve system (new pedestal and turbo part). This did not fix the leak . but I must say the car drives and has much better power .

I again cleaned the valley of all oil and with the car running looked for the leak. It is clearly coming from the area where the passenger side intake manifold attaches to the engine block (the lower back of the manifold) Thinking that maybe the #3 or #4 oil plug was leaking from the high pressure rail I looked at these carefully and could not find any oil in that area. I am sure the start of the leak is not up that high but down lower in the valley.

The leak is clearly not from the front part of the engine in that while I was looking for the leak I had the car on a hill and no oil was found in front part of the engine

Is there anything else in that area that I should look at?

It sure looks to me that it is coming from the head gasket is there anything else in that area that could leak?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope that I am correct on this. I had a plug leaking in the left front head, which is where a oil flow control valve is located. I think the plug was in the head. Now put the head on the right bank and you still have to have the plug with an O ring, but no valve. It is a plug with a 3/8" square drive . Just a thought.

This is where mine was leaking
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-oil-leak.html

Last edited by hammer65; 01-05-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Tried to post picture of plug.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
You have plugs on both ends of the heads. The oil end plugs have a new updated style. Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines The old ones were actually 2 orings. And it takes a 1/2 racket to remove. And if it is the pass side rear you might need to pull the turbo to get at it. I am doing mine as soon as I get the orings. Mine isn't leaking but I have my trans out and I said I would rather do them now. It took a 1/2 breaker bar to get them loose.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
OOpppsss Double post

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How bad is your leak? Just a thought. I had a leak in the same area. It looked like the lower rear corner of the passenger side intake plenum. It wound up being my rubber plenum boot was seeping oil from the under side of the boot and down the back side of the plenum. New plenum boots from Riffraff, and leak is gone. Another idea is the metal tube that runs through the valley has a clamp holding it to the block in the same area. It is a fuel line but depending how bad your leak is sometimes it is hard to tell if it is fuel or oil. Is it leaking there?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
OccidentalEx
New User
Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
How bad is your leak? Just a thought. I had a leak in the same area. It looked like the lower rear corner of the passenger side intake plenum. It wound up being my rubber plenum boot was seeping oil from the under side of the boot and down the back side of the plenum. New plenum boots from Riffraff, and leak is gone. Another idea is the metal tube that runs through the valley has a clamp holding it to the block in the same area. It is a fuel line but depending how bad your leak is sometimes it is hard to tell if it is fuel or oil. Is it leaking there?
Yes that is where the leak is. I will check that out this weekend. I am losing a quart every 400 miles or s alot of oil

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
I went back and read the post about my leak, and I stand corrected. My plug was in the block.
Professor's PaysonPSD and Guzzle said so.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OccidentalEx
Yes that is where the leak is. I will check that out this weekend. I am losing a quart every 400 miles or s alot of oil
If you are lossing a qt every 400 miles and it leaking from the intake plenum boot then you also might have a blown turbo seal on the compressor side or serious blow by ? Have you done the ccv mod ?

Well please let us know what was leaking when you find it.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
OccidentalEx
New User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
If you are lossing a qt every 400 miles and it leaking from the intake plenum boot then you also might have a blown turbo seal on the compressor side or serious blow by ? Have you done the ccv mod ?

Well please let us know what was leaking when you find it.

I have not done the CCV I am thinking about do that. I am not sure if it is blow by from the plenum boot in that I had them off when I had the turbo out and did not see any large amounts of oil in the intake and turbo lines. This weekend I have a friend with a small video camera hopefully I can get to the are with the car running and get a good look.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM
OccidentalEx
New User
Got a small camera down in the the area today after cleaning out all the oil once again The leak is clearly coming from the head gasket area right where the front passenger side turbo pedestal leg come down. Very hard to get between the pedestal leg and the head to get a good look. My understanding there is no oil runs in that leg of the pedestal and it is clearly not coming from the hp oil rail which is much higher up on the head. Also took the boot off the turbo and there is no oil blow by in the turbo or pipes so it is not coming from a leak there. Is there anything else around that area that it could be?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by OccidentalEx
Got a small camera down in the the area today after cleaning out all the oil once again The leak is clearly coming from the head gasket area right where the front passenger side turbo pedestal leg come down. Very hard to get between the pedestal leg and the head to get a good look. My understanding there is no oil runs in that leg of the pedestal and it is clearly not coming from the hp oil rail which is much higher up on the head. Also took the boot off the turbo and there is no oil blow by in the turbo or pipes so it is not coming from a leak there. Is there anything else around that area that it could be?
Maybe where the pedistal seals on the block. It could leak there and show up on the leg. Chet

Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
OccidentalEx
New User
I wish it was that but I have replaced the pedestal o rings when I replaced the pedestal and the leak is clearly on the engine side of the support I could net find any oil on the pedestal at all . Hoping to have someone else look at it and confirm before I start taking is all apart.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
ccrscubby
New User
I am currently working on my 2002 f350 7.3 and I have the same problem. I have it apart now and it looks to be coming from head gasket in same spot. Did you ever get your leak fixed?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
OccidentalEx
New User
Sorry no I have yet taken the car apart. I am hoping to start on it in the next few weeks in that this is an extra car we only use as needed. If you find anything please post or email me. Also any info on removing the head and problems that you may have had doing that would be great. I am planning on doing the removal with the engine in the car so back strain and clearance is a concern to me.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
ccrscubby
New User
Thanks for the reply. After further examination I found my turbo pedestal was cracked through the right front bolt hole, and I'm 95% sure this is my oil leak.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Head Gasket?