1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Gauge Setup Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gauge Setup Help

I got a screaming good deal on some used gauges to get me started monitoring before adding tuning for the bigger injectors. They're some glowshift EGT, Boost, and Trans.

I'm planning on using the trans as oil temp for the time being at least until I get my e-fuel in because I'll need that spot for my oil pressure switch. The boost is a 0-60 psi and I'll run it until I can spring for a 40 PSI gauge. The pyro is 1500* and it will be my last to change over to something better.

What I need help with is choosing whether to get a 3 or 4 gauge pod. I'm thinking forward a bit but ultimately I'd like ISSPROs in the boost and pyro slot. I have a have a quandry for the 3rd and possibly 4th spots. A scan gauge would be sweet I imagine. What other gauges do yall prefer to run independently from the scan guage? Is boost, pyro, and SG enough as it is? I'll probably be sticking with mods in my sig plus e fue(w gauge under the hood)l, hpop, and proper tuning.

I don't have unlimited funds so I'm trying to get it right first time. I know I could fill a double pod and a column trim pod or a straight triple. Any other must-monitor parameters?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Tranny and pyro is about the only thing necessary to keep from tearing something up. Boost gauges are cool , but , not necessary. They can help to let you know if are leaking boost I suppose.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with Scan Gauge and digital Pyro only. Scan Gauge already has boost, eot and e40d ready out of box, so no sensors to run. I like the setup, simple clean uncluttered look, but to each his own.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
i really like that egt gauge.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Hussler
I went with Scan Gauge and digital Pyro only.
I like the ease of a digital reading but really like the look of an analog gauge for some reason. Personal preference I guess.
Scan Gauge already has boost, eot and e40d ready out of box, so no sensors to run.
Forunately I don't have to worry about trans temp anymore. How accuarate are the PCM provided boost and oil? Just as much as a mechanical? I've looked at the aeroforce site but am unsure, what are the other things that can actually be wired into the scangauge from installed sending units for our rigs? I do like the nice and clean setup too.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

You can wire just about any sensor you want as the Scan Gauge has two optional inputs available. I've been toying around with the idea using one input for fuel pressure but will probably wait until I go electric fuel. Although the vendor does have a pyro kit that connects to the Scan Gauge I believe a separate PYRO gauge is a good idea.

As far as accuracy I would have to say digital is more accurate as there is no mechanical mechanism and the information is coming from the PCM, what it is seeing, not what an aftermarket sensor is reporting. And before I get a lot of hate remarks please believe me I have nothing against analog gauges as they work great, just not my thing this time around.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by ccarrier
Purchased it from Clay @ RiffRaff Diesel. It was less expensive than most analog pyro's and included everything needed.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ccarrier
George also has a cool digital pyro although I can't find the link and info on it right now...

Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Purchased it from Clay @ RiffRaff Diesel. It was less expensive than most analog pyro's and included everything needed.
This one ... Riffraff Diesel: Pyrometer 2000*F

Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redman84
What I need help with is choosing whether to get a 3 or 4 gauge pod. ?

Redman aka Jacob
I heard some say that the 4 pod is a little tight at the top and harder to see.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DRRXR
Redman aka Jacob
I heard some say that the 4 pod is a little tight at the top and harder to see.
Yeah I heard some guys say that they had to lean forward a little bit to see the top one well and I'm not exactly an NBA player...

Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is something that I am trying to decide on. I have boost and egt now, thinking of a trans temp even though with the huge cooler and aluminum pan I'd have to try pretty darn hard to overheat the trans and when I upgrade from my superchip to a multi position chip would like to have the switch in the gauge pod. I've seen a couple of different 3 gauge pods, who offers the 4 gauge pod.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Glowshift makes one for sure. I'm not sure about the others. You can get them at ebay, amazon, etc. I know Complete Performance sells them if you'd rather send your money to a tangible business. Maybe some of our sponsers do too.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:06 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how's the quality of the glowshift pods, they are half the price of autometer and banks

Quick Reply: Gauge Setup Help