Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Alternator Woes!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Woes!

When my alternator originally went bad I was in Cedar Park Texas on my way to vacation so I pulled into the local O'reileys and bought a Reman alternator. Put it in while in the parking lot and went on my way. 1 1/2 years later (7/2011) it went out again, went to O'reileys and they swapped it out. Now 5 months later it went out AGAIN. GREAT went to O'reileys and they gave me another one. Came home, installed it and it would put out voltage for 45 secs and would quit putting out.
Took it back and they bench tested it and said there wasnt anything wrong with it because their testing machine was "state of the art" yeah right!!! After much argueing they agreed to replace it again but I wanted an upgrade and had them order me a NEW alternator. Got it put in tonight and it works again but for how long?
If at all possible take Springer pops advice and have your OEM unit rebuilt by an auto electric place because parts stores remans are JUNK. I had no choice because I was on the road, but learn from others mistakes.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel your pain. I went thru the same thing. Got a rebuilt unit from a local shop in for 6 mths now after changing out the "lifetime" units 3 times in 2 yrs. Got my "lifetimer" now in a drawer awaiting emergency service if i ever need it. And it will travel with me on long trips. All these years later, the boy scout lessons still ring true, Be Prepared.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Another great reminder and write up. Always rebuild if possible or pay Fords price.

Chet

Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

I think I'm going to have to go to some boneyards and try to find an old unit and have it rebuilt to have a spare. Because I just don't have confidence in the "lifetimes" either. Only problem is here in Houston it isn't easy to find a boneyard with a 7.3!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
A Six-Oh! alternator will bolt right up.

The only difference is a little added piece that moves the output post from the rear of the frame to the top. I actually used that piece, and then covered the post with RTV to insulate it against an accidental short when wrenching on the top of the motor.

There might be a few Six-Oh!'s in boneyards.

Pop

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
There is something about the bench testing machines I have never understood and it has happened to me several times on 99 and newer trucks. Sounds like it happened to the OP too.

Say I have an alternator that does not work. I go get it rebuilt or buy one at the box store. When I put it on the truck, no charge and all of the truck inputs work . The connector is good and it should charge, but does not. I take it back and they throw it on the bench tester and it charges away. If the truck is giving the same inputs as the bench tester, it should work but I have had that happen on a couple different trucks since Ford introduced the 2 speed regulator circuit.

It got to the point at one time, I would just go to the dealer and pay the extra money to keep from having to deal with it. I have not had to replace one in a while but has anyone else run into that?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
I got an Autozone alternator and have my OEM sitting in the toolbox waiting to get exchanged for the core charge....maybe I'll have it rebuilt and use it and keep the Autozone/Duralast as a spare

Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
A Six-Oh! alternator will bolt right up.

The only difference is a little added piece that moves the output post from the rear of the frame to the top. I actually used that piece, and then covered the post with RTV to insulate it against an accidental short when wrenching on the top of the motor.

There might be a few Six-Oh!'s in boneyards.

Pop
Thanks Pop! I will try to find a 6.0 alternator if I cant find a 7.3.
Arent the 6.0 higher amp outputs? 135A maybe?

Originally Posted by carltonwebb
There is something about the bench testing machines I have never understood and it has happened to me several times on 99 and newer trucks. Sounds like it happened to the OP too.
What happened when they tested mine is it did put out but it only put out for approx 45 secs. Their machines dont test for output for that long.

What really pizzed me off was after I told him I didnt care what his machine said my meter showed it wasnt putting out. He had the nutz to say "who do I trust you and your voltmeter or my state of the art machine"! That kinda made my blood boil!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for rebuilds!

Buy the cheapo parts store reman to tide ya by when in a hurry then get the OEM rebuilt & return the cheapo one to get the core charge back.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It is a proven fact, oh-rye-lees alternators last ~2 years. Just installed #3 (in 6 years) yesterday .

Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a new one from o rieleys a few years ago and have not had any problems with it. Probably should have had my original rebuilt though. There is a junk yard here locally that specializes in diesels. You may want to give them a call and see if they will ship one. Brannex truck parts 505-877-4244

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
never buy a reman. I went through 4 of them the last year. I bought new with a lifetime. I will rebuild when this one goes out.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
I think I'm going to have to go to some boneyards and try to find an old unit and have it rebuilt to have a spare. Because I just don't have confidence in the "lifetimes" either. Only problem is here in Houston it isn't easy to find a boneyard with a 7.3!

Here is a used one on ebay: 99-01FORD PICKUP F SERIES 8CY 7.3L ALTERNATOR #7796 | eBay

Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Thanks Grant, reps to ya!!

Oops rep police got me! Somebody help me out!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
Arent the 6.0 higher amp outputs? 135A maybe?
No, not a higher rated output. 105 amps. The same unit, just the terminal extension.

ONLY if it were a larger-frame unit, then it jumps to 135 amps.

Pop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Woes!