Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pyrometer

Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
Whats it going to do the Edge already doesnt do?

I have the Edge on the second setting because it creates so much power on the top setting it usless......so I dont need any more power ?

Well the DP can give you more power too. But I'm not talking about power. I'm talking about compression and EGTs.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DP and TS chips can be customized to your needs. Instead of fooling sensors they will recalibrate them. Custom chips are a long term investment that can grow with your truck.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Well the DP can give you more power too. But I'm not talking about power. I'm talking about compression and EGTs.
So a tuner may help with my problem not just ad to it?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

I looked on DP's website , theres alot of diffrent options?
Chip or programmer or PCM Flash?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call jody at DP and he will tell you what will work best for you. He's a great guy and won't sell you something you won't need.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Anyone got a simple explanation of what the pyrometer is measuring?

Today was the first time Ive pulled anything with my new to me 99 dually.
My pyrometer guage was just touching the red when I pulled my Bobcat up the hill coming home.

Ive pulled heavier loads way faster up the same hill with my 02 but I dont have guages in it.

I didnt see any reason it should be almost in the red , it wasnt working that hard.
Maybe this truck isnt going to do what I want?
At what temps does the red area begin on your gauge? It's practically impossible for EGTs to get dangerously high with stock PCM calibrations on a stock engine if all other systems are operating properly. With heavy loads, the EGTs could climb to the 1200-1300 degree range on a steep climb but they usually will drop back down a little bit when the PCM begins to reduce the amount of fuel or when the transmission drops down to a lower gear.

If you allow the engine lug in high gear when climbing grades then your EGTs will be higher than would be if you pulled down to a lower gear and let the engine rev. For me the ideal rpm while pulling heavy loads up big grades is around 2400-2600 rpm. This is also true for moderate grades as well it's just that most of are never aware of this since a stock truck doesn't have an EGT gauge.

In my experience the e99 engines pull quite well. You might want to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks and that your EBP sensor and tube are cleaned and functional. Those items can cause high EGTs so you should check it out first. If I remember correctly, the bellowed IH up-pipes will not fit the e99 turbo so you would probably have to replace the doughnut gaskets if you do find a leak but you can check with Clay at Riffraff to be certain (he may have a kit for e99 but I am not sure....)

After you have confirmed that your up-pipes and manifolds are not leaking and your EBP sensor is good then pull that hill again and select a gear so the rpms are in the range listed above. I think you'll find that your EGTs aren't a concern any longer.

On a side note, the EDGE will likely be more effective on your '02 than a e99 because the engine parts are different. You are much more likely to maximize the potential of the e99 engine with custom tunes such as DP or PHP because they will calibrate accordingly. The Edge is a one size fits all product and as you recently found...the e99 is quite different than the '02. I do not have DP calibrations on any of my trucks but I have several friends who do and they seem happy with their tunes although the EGTs can get pretty high in some of the higher performance settings. I have PHP tunes on one of my trucks and know others who also use their calibrations and EGTs don't seem to be as much of a problem for us. This is just what I have observed so far based on discussions I have had with about 6-8 users of each product. If you are considering custom tunes then you might want to talk to as many people as you can and find out who's tunes they use and what they like or might not like about that particular product. Then you can decide what works for your particular situation since experiences will vary from owner to owner and truck to truck.

I have also used Bully Dog and Superchips on their tow settings and they are fairly effective....not as refined as custom calibrations but still not bad for towing. The performance settings are a different story though...custom calibrations seem to far outperform any of the "one size fits all" products. Just my $0.02....

Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
At what temps does the red area begin on your gauge? It's practically impossible for EGTs to get dangerously high with stock PCM calibrations on a stock engine if all other systems are operating properly. With heavy loads, the EGTs could climb to the 1200-1300 degree range on a steep climb but they usually will drop back down a little bit when the PCM begins to reduce the amount of fuel or when the transmission drops down to a lower gear.

If you allow the engine lug in high gear when climbing grades then your EGTs will be higher than would be if you pulled down to a lower gear and let the engine rev. For me the ideal rpm while pulling heavy loads up big grades is around 2400-2600 rpm. This is also true for moderate grades as well it's just that most of are never aware of this since a stock truck doesn't have an EGT gauge.

In my experience the e99 engines pull quite well. You might want to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks and that your EBP sensor and tube are cleaned and functional. Those items can cause high EGTs so you should check it out first. If I remember correctly, the bellowed IH up-pipes will not fit the e99 turbo so you would probably have to replace the doughnut gaskets if you do find a leak but you can check with Clay at Riffraff to be certain (he may have a kit for e99 but I am not sure....)

After you have confirmed that your up-pipes and manifolds are not leaking and your EBP sensor is good then pull that hill again and select a gear so the rpms are in the range listed above. I think you'll find that your EGTs aren't a concern any longer.

On a side note, the EDGE will likely be more effective on your '02 than a e99 because the engine parts are different. You are much more likely to maximize the potential of the e99 engine with custom tunes such as DP or PHP because they will calibrate accordingly. The Edge is a one size fits all product and as you recently found...the e99 is quite different than the '02. I do not have DP calibrations on any of my trucks but I have several friends who do and they seem happy with their tunes although the EGTs can get pretty high in some of the higher performance settings. I have PHP tunes on one of my trucks and know others who also use their calibrations and EGTs don't seem to be as much of a problem for us. This is just what I have observed so far based on discussions I have had with about 6-8 users of each product. If you are considering custom tunes then you might want to talk to as many people as you can and find out who's tunes they use and what they like or might not like about that particular product. Then you can decide what works for your particular situation since experiences will vary from owner to owner and truck to truck.

I have also used Bully Dog and Superchips on their tow settings and they are fairly effective....not as refined as custom calibrations but still not bad for towing. The performance settings are a different story though...custom calibrations seem to far outperform any of the "one size fits all" products. Just my $0.02....
Here are the ones you will want for the E99

Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 94-Early 99

Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

What and where is a EBP sensor?

I understand that I can back off the pedal and lower the temps but one of the reasons i bought this truck was to climb hills quicker and faster.
I cover a large area with lots of hills , some of them 10-20 miles long.

I see the Cat's still on it so ill take that off first.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

What and where is a EBP sensor?

I understand that I can back off the pedal and lower the temps but one of the reasons i bought this truck was to climb hills quicker and faster.
I cover a large area with lots of hills , some of them 10-20 miles long.

I see the Cat's still on it so ill take that off first.
How to: Improve MPGs on 7.3L Powerstroke - Cleaning EBPS - YouTube

Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
With my early 99 I installed turbo back 4" exhaust, dp-tuner PCM towing burn, among other things. My egts normally stay in check but still run 900-1000 while towing. I would dump the cat, and go with a 6.0 intercooler. That is on my list and a lot of guys claim quite good egt drops during towing.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Was out playing around today checking out truck.

I can get the guage almost into the red by just putting my foot in it on a small hill.

Thats just the empty pickup , no trailer.

It must have some major issues?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Nah. I have a 6637 and a 4" turbo back no cat. I can get it into red on flat ground if I try hard. Fairly easily on a hill

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Nah. I have a 6637 and a 4" turbo back no cat. I can get it into red on flat ground if I try hard. Fairly easily on a hill
Makes me feel a little better.............

I guess because my 02 doesnt have guages Im more aware of whats going on.
Its a wonder i didnt fry that 02 along time ago Ive pushed it pretty hard at times.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Same here. Can get egts up high pretty quick when you put your foot in it.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Well i finally took of the Cat and it didnt make any diffrence in the EGT's so i guess the muffler is next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pyrometer