Hypothetical Excursion powerplant question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hypothetical Excursion powerplant question

Quick question:

This is NOT meant to spark a gas vs. diesel debate as seen in other threads or areas of this forum but I've been wondering this for a while.

I completely understand that this is a hypothetical question but if gasser (V10, 5.4) Excursions got the same fuel mileage as diesels (7.3, 6.0) would you rather have a gas or diesel?

I realize that diesels offer better fuel mileage in the X but if fuel factors were equal (which or course that arent) would gassers be the hottest commodity X's being searched for?

Why or why not in your opinion.

I ask this because it seems like diesels in the Super Duty truck lineup are working trucks (commercial and/or recreational (RV)) in most cases but it appears to be the exact opposite with Excursions. While some X owners do tow RV's and such, it appears that most diesel Excursions are grocery, kid haulers that rarely serve any work purpose IMO. With that said, what is the hot ticket item of the diesel in the X besides fuel mileage (which is very important).

So, am I correct to believe that IF all things fuel wise were equal, gas Excursions would be just as hot as diesels?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
In my opinion, gasser. They warm up faster in cold weather, repairs are cheaper, maintenance is cheaper and they are lighter.

HP, Torque being the only difference, in your hypothetical question, I believe many would just get a 5.4 or 6.8 and a programmer.

Funny you asked this question, I think about it everyday I fire up my V10 Ex.

In a word, I would say ABSOLUTELY! You are correct to believe gas Excursions would be just as hot as diesels.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really hypothetical

It is what it is.......

Ya can't make a gasser get the same MPG as the diesel AND pull the load.

I had an '02 F150 supercrew and the 5.4 did an ok job when using it as a light duty truck. But it can't pull like the 6.0 AND get better MPG. I know, I tried to pull my 24' SeaRay boat. Totally useless, and got 5 MPG, that's why I bought a 6.0 excursion.....TOWING!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Gene Horr
Senior User
They actually do get about the same mileage per unit of chemical energy. It is just that diesel fuel contains 30% more energy. If we were to eliminate all gasoline vehicles tomorrow we would wind up using more oil as while the portion of crude oil that is used to make gasoline can be converted to diesel you lose more than that 30%.

Using diesel engines for work trucks is a fairly recent change. Up until the early 80's it was rare to see a diesel engine in anything smaller than a tractor rig. Those heavy duty gasoline engines did just as much work as the diesels and lasted just as long.

Personally I choose diesel for one reason. Fewer stops on a long road trip. In terms of money most people never even reach break even much less spend less money overall with a diesel.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
I wonder why diesels are so much more prevalent in other countries in small cars, light trucks, delivery trucks.....and have been for the last 50 years? I mean, Mercedes Benz was using diesels in their cars decades before the USA tried it on a mass production level.
Even VW has a turbo diesel......must be a reason....efficiency and power in small displacement? Longevity?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Dan Reinbold hit the nail on the head with gas pros being "they warm up faster in cold weather, repairs are cheaper, maintenance is cheaper and they are lighter". But diesels still have long-term longevity and extra power and torque going for them. It really comes down to personal choice between these sets of factors once fuel mileage is out of the equation.
When my dad purchased my Ex new diesel fuel was much cheaper than gas, and within two years the diesel option actually paid for itself. I'm not sure how many miles he drove per year at the time, but he currently drives ~50,000 miles per year.