Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost with MBRP towing clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM
adamsre
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost with MBRP towing clip

Ok, as promised I made a clip of my 2011 Ecoboost towing my 5-6K trailer with a 3" cat back MBRP exhaust. I gained over 2 mpg with this exhaust (MBRP) and intake (aFe) while towing. So far while not towing it only seems to have given roughly a 1 mpg increase over stock. I can barely hear the exhaust at highway speeds after the truck shifts into 5th and 6th gear. The wind noise is literally louder than the exhaust at 55 mph! Crappy video but I am not a professional film maker.

http://youtu.be/7X19A4D6tpc
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
definitely doesn't seem obnoxious or embarassing at all. Might be something to consider.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 AM
08mike250
Junior User
nice set up

Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM
adamsre
Senior User

Thanks, I like it!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IDK.... The sound of the EB with the exhaust sys accelerating is pretty close to the sound of that import car going by. I still don't believe there is anything that can be done to make any V6 sound good. If I were to close my eyes while listening to the video I picture in my head a '99 Camaro or Firebird V6 with a glasspack accelerating.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:25 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds pretty good, thanks for posting up

Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
I am wondering: if this gains 1-2 mpg, why would Ford not use it to improve the numbers? Is there a drawback?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 PM
adamsre
Senior User

Originally Posted by Pool Runner
IDK.... The sound of the EB with the exhaust sys accelerating is pretty close to the sound of that import car going by. I still don't believe there is anything that can be done to make any V6 sound good. If I were to close my eyes while listening to the video I picture in my head a '99 Camaro or Firebird V6 with a glasspack accelerating.
Not even close, did you watch the video? Proof is the import next to me. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion but the fact is this system does not sound anything like the white import/ricer next to me.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsre
Not even close, did you watch the video? Proof is the import next to me. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion but the fact is this system does not sound anything like the white import/ricer next to me.
In all fairness I listened/ watched it from my crappy Hp laptop, so a fart can on an import and a V6 engine with exhaust sound pretty similar. I will give you the credit that It does sounds ok for what it is, but good is a stretch.

It reminds me of the countless threads on the Dodge Ram SRT10 (A bad *** truck) no doubt but sounds horrible wether stock or tuned. Those guys would battled for months on end on who managed to get the horrible sounding V10 to sound anything close to good. People would post "Hey yeah man, that sounds good" but you know the guy really thinks it still sounds like a UPS truck.

but seriously I think some of you guys are doing everything you possibly can to make yourself think or believe these engines sound good with an exhaust system when they just don't. Hey I admit, you got a badass F-150, with a badass motor, but......... it doesn't sound great with an exhaust just being honest, that is why you posted this thread for honest opinions.

Just to prove I know what a good sounding motor sounds like. I think 5.0L Fox bodies with a borla cat back and an H-pipe is pure sex. A Ferrari F430 with a Tubi exhaust is about is awesome as it gets. Most inline six cylinders sound good, but for some reason a V6 has never. Just my two cents.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
whatever, ignore that nonsense! It sounds awesome!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 AM
adamsre
Senior User

LOL, yeah, I will admit that the 5.0 does sound better but the pros end there. I am not saying my truck sounds like a hemi 6.2 challenger or a 69 cuda or a 68 Camaro or well, you get the point. But, what I was getting at is: I have heard all the Ecoboost exhausts and the only one that sounded good was the Heartthrob but I could not get myself to pay more for an alluminum system than a Stainless system from a reputable company like MBRP. I was really surprised that the MBRP sounded so good. I was truthfully expecting a raspy sound and was just going to switch the muffler when something better came out in SS. Now, I don't have to worry about that b/c it sounds great to me. Not as you put it "pure sex on wheels" but great! I am genuinely pleased with the sound and performance.
I will be monitoring my fuel consumption over the next few tanks to see if I truly did gain 1 mpg or possibly more. I will tell you for a fact that I gained at least 2 mpg towing. I tow every week and the MPG towing my 5k trailer was about 11.2 and now I get 13.3 and expect it to improve with the relearn process. I did not disconnect the batery when I installed the intake or exhaust (i know shame on me). I did not have the 9v gizmo that saves my radio presets and did not want to reset anything. I also found with this engine that if I put in premium when towing I get a nice mpg increase that is greater than the extra cost of the fuel.

Last edited by adamsre; 01-03-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 AM
adamsre
Senior User

Oh, this truck gets better mpg than my 2005 F350 6.0 diesel towing the exact same load. Now I am sure that if I was towing 10k plus that the diesel would be more fuel efficient but I like this truck better than my F350. I was getting 11-13 mpg in my diesel (towing) while paying .50 more per gallon. I was tuned and studded in my diesel and this engine feels just as strong in the power to weight ratio.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsre
Oh, this truck gets better mpg than my 2005 F350 6.0 diesel towing the exact same load. Now I am sure that if I was towing 10k plus that the diesel would be more fuel efficient but I like this truck better than my F350. I was getting 11-13 mpg in my diesel (towing) while paying .50 more per gallon. I was tuned and studded in my diesel and this engine feels just as strong in the power to weight ratio.
LOL I was just thinking of a dealers lot full of 6.0's and all traded in on F150s. Funny mental pic, sorry Seems like thats whats happening however. Sounds good for a V-6, and if you like it thats all that matters.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I am actually quite surpirsed with the sound. they did their homework.

as a side note, i noticed a lot of high rpm acceleration.

Does the engine need to rev that high to pull the load, or where you getting after it to show the exhaust volume while under extreme load.

i guess i'm just wondering, does everyone drive that hard except for me? I can't remember a time when my tow rig saw over 4k rpms while accelerating a load.... i'm not picking on you, just very curious how the engine pulls and why the rpms jumped up so high 2 out of the 3 runs.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
adamsre
Senior User

Originally Posted by meborder
I am actually quite surpirsed with the sound. they did their homework.

as a side note, i noticed a lot of high rpm acceleration.

Does the engine need to rev that high to pull the load, or where you getting after it to show the exhaust volume while under extreme load.

i guess i'm just wondering, does everyone drive that hard except for me? I can't remember a time when my tow rig saw over 4k rpms while accelerating a load.... i'm not picking on you, just very curious how the engine pulls and why the rpms jumped up so high 2 out of the 3 runs.
No way, the revving was for the video. two reasons, one; to show it does not sound abnoxious at high rpms and two: I had a lot of requests for towing and a lot of requests for WOT. I just decided to combine them. The truck pulls great without "flooring" it. It takes off just as easily and accelerates as fast as my f350 did. I am very surprised because we had a Titan in 06-07 that I really loved but it would not tow like this truck even after an AEM intake, magnaflow exhaust and firestone airbags. I am very pleased with the performance of this truck. I do not "dog" on my vehicles intentionally and follow my maintenance schedule. Oh, and no offense taken.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost with MBRP towing clip