Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Excursion/F-250 V-10 Hypertech programmer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by rick700raptor
4 degrees of timing backed off, on a steep climb towing heavy at high RPM is significant.

I remember the old days when we had to do our own tuning, with timing lights and different points and different centrificul weights in the old distributors and set them up on a distributor machine to do what computers do today.

Even back then 4 degrees of timing was significant, both on the distributor machine and on the drag strip.
I've timed engines the "old fashioned way" too, and yes, 4 degrees is significant.

What I was trying to say is that the PCM will only pull 4 degrees. If the pinging is bad enough, the PCM will only go so far.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:41 PM
shawn55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a 5 star tune have the same problem with the pinging. Has anybody heard of any problems like this with a 5 star tune in it. Or any other problems that a truck has had with a 5 star tune? Just thinking about other tuners

Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
rick700raptor
Junior User
Originally Posted by shawn55
Would a 5 star tune have the same problem with the pinging. Has anybody heard of any problems like this with a 5 star tune in it. Or any other problems that a truck has had with a 5 star tune? Just thinking about other tuners
Sorry, I have no experience with them, but a lot of other guys on here say they are good.
But there is only so much computer tuning you can do to a gas engine Richen it up or lean it out, timing, advance curve and so forth, unlike the diesels, where you can pull some serious numbers up.
With towing heavy and the gas we have, your not going to be able to ramp up the timing, no matter who the tuner is.
From what I have seen and considering the gas quality a few ft lbs or a few HP, is not worth spending to much money on.
Do you have a cold air intake on it? Do you have a cat back exhaust system? Have you eliminated the backwards head pipe with a y pipe yet?
These things will help, without a hole in a piston like pinging will do.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I absolutely promise you that if you call Mike and discuss your objectives he will try to write you a solid custom tune that won't ping. I'll even go out on a limb and say that if he can't, he might refund your money for the tunes. I don't work for him, SO DO NOT TAKE MY REFUND STATEMENT AS THE TRUTH. Call him and ask.

I say this because I have yet to read a bad review about Mike's services or tunes.

However, it's also important to note that a custom tune will not fix a mechanical or electrical issue. In fact it will likely amplify it.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
shawn55
Junior User
When I bought the truck it had a Air Hog on it and no There is no cat back exhaust on it. I just havent found one that gives a good deep bark. But I have heard if you take out the Y pipe out that you will get some funky sounds.Dont know much about the Y pipe stuff.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
rick700raptor
Junior User
When mine was new I put a 50 series flow master on it with duals out the back, I added a different tail pipe last year with 4" SS tips at a 60 degree angle from the top down the sides. It sounded like a V8 at idle and a v 12 at higher RPM. I liked it.

I recently bought a Y pipe to replace that pipe on the right side that comes down from the exhaust manifold and actually goes to the front of the truck before a tight turn points it back again. That has to be increasing back pressure a lot and inhibiting getting the exhaust out of the motor. The manufacturer of the Y pipe claims Dyno proven improvement of 35 Hp and 38 FT LBs TQ. Their claim, not mine.
As we all know a motor is big air pump, the faster we get air and fuel into and out of it the more power it makes.
At the same time I went to a new 40 series Flowmaster, because I wanted it louder.
I have not towed with it yet, so I can not comment on any potential power gains yet. My muffler guy had a heck of a time installing the Y pipe. the 40 series muffler makes it sound totally different, not as civilized, it has some interesting sounds as it builds up to and shifts, very different.
I store my truck in the winter so I am sorry I cannot personally recommend this last change (Y pipe) as of yet.

Whatever you do get the pinging stopped though. Like I said, program the Hypertech back to stock, get good grade premium fuel in it and test it. If it still pings take it to the Doctor.