Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a factory mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Roger Carter
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4601ton
As I was troubleshooting everything on my truck yesterday, I found out something kinda weird/funny...I'll tell the tale...
NOPE, NUTHIN' ABOUT A 6 HERE

My truck had a bad surging idle...as part of the troubleshooting process I went to pull codes even though no check engine light had ever been on. So I jumped the self-test output to terminal E...and went to turn the key on to look at blinks. Turned the key on and...nothing.
NOT HERE EITHER

So I figure the light bulb must be blown, and begin to pull the dash apart. Get the bezel off, hold it up to the sun to see where the "Check Engine" light was on the lens, found it between the left turn signal indicator and the "Engine" light. Looked in the dash cluster and...nothing. WTF? No bulb...no socket...no wiring behind the cluster leading to it. No traces of a Check Engine light. NOT IN THE THIRD PARAGRAPH.

We've had this truck since '93. When my great grandpa got her she was only 6 years old and had extremely low mileage. Totally unmolested and has remained that way. I'm pretty confident I was probably the first one inside that dash. NO MENTION OF AN ENGINE HERE.

I was thinking about it last night, and I think I may have a possible explanation. Back in 1987 (truck was built in May 1987 as a 1987 model) the 5.8 and the 7.5 were both still carb'd...so if I'm thinking correctly, an 87 F-series with a 351 or 460 would NOT have had a check engine light. So I'm kinda thinking maybe there was a communication breakdown on this one and no check engine light was added?
WAIT, IT MENTIONS A 351 AND A 460....BUT NO 300" 6

Thoughts? Comments?

I must have missed the part in your first post where you tell us it is a 300" 6 cylinder. Also, throwing around ethnic slurs towards people just trying to help you really isn't the way to win frineds, or get help.

Roger Carter

Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, I have already admitted I messed up and apologized two damn times. Get over it. I thought my signature was showing, it wasn't. It was an honest mistake.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Roger Carter
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As I was troubleshooting everything on my truck yesterday, I found out something kinda weird/funny...I'll tell the tale...
NOPE, NUTHIN' ABOUT A 6 HERE

My truck had a bad surging idle...as part of the troubleshooting process I went to pull codes even though no check engine light had ever been on. So I jumped the self-test output to terminal E...and went to turn the key on to look at blinks. Turned the key on and...nothing.
NOT HERE EITHER

So I figure the light bulb must be blown, and begin to pull the dash apart. Get the bezel off, hold it up to the sun to see where the "Check Engine" light was on the lens, found it between the left turn signal indicator and the "Engine" light. Looked in the dash cluster and...nothing. WTF? No bulb...no socket...no wiring behind the cluster leading to it. No traces of a Check Engine light. NOT IN THE THIRD PARAGRAPH.

We've had this truck since '93. When my great grandpa got her she was only 6 years old and had extremely low mileage. Totally unmolested and has remained that way. I'm pretty confident I was probably the first one inside that dash. NO MENTION OF AN ENGINE HERE.

I was thinking about it last night, and I think I may have a possible explanation. Back in 1987 (truck was built in May 1987 as a 1987 model) the 5.8 and the 7.5 were both still carb'd...so if I'm thinking correctly, an 87 F-series with a 351 or 460 would NOT have had a check engine light. So I'm kinda thinking maybe there was a communication breakdown on this one and no check engine light was added?
WAIT, IT MENTIONS A 351 AND A 460....BUT NO 300" 6

Thoughts? Comments?

I must have missed the part in your first post where you tell us it is a 300" 6 cylinder. Also, throwing around insults towards people just trying to help you really isn't the way to win frineds, or get help.

Roger Carter

Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
You're right...again I'm sorry. So, now that everyone knows what the case is...anyone have any idea why there's no factory Check Engine light?

well, now that we know what is really going on, the answer is easy.
the gremlins took the light and wiring while no one was looking and sold it to the zombies to use as an attractant for rednecks.

because as everyone knows, put a lit light bulb out in a field, and it will draw in rednecks from 5 county's like hummingbirds to sugar-water.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 PM
4601ton
Senior User
ETHNIC SLURS?!?! IT WAS A DAMN JOKE. What in the hell is the problem with people on here? I've been on message boards for various things for a decade...I've never been "burned at the damn stake" for such a simple error like on here...even after I apologized two damn times. Are y'all mentally stable? Seriously? this is just ridiculous.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
well, now that we know what is really going on, the answer is easy.
the gremlins took the light and wiring while no one was looking and sold it to the zombies to use as an attractant for rednecks.

because as everyone knows, put a lit light bulb out in a field, and it will draw in rednecks from 5 county's like hummingbirds to sugar-water.
Lol I suppose anything is possible...

Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
where do you guys see ethnic slurs or insults?
all i saw was apologys for the missing signature.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Because I made the comment (totally joking) saying y'all were "getting as confused as a retarded Englishman learning Japanese from a German".

Which actually isn't any "slur" at all. I never called the "ethnic groups" anything disrespectful other than calling the "Englishman" retarded. So...yea, that's not a valid argument at all.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
4601ton - You have to realize that, while people are sitting and typing - or doing something else - other people are also typing and perhaps adding to the thread faster than others.

People won't normally slam others over & over again, but look at the posts - they're all right next to each other in time, and people add comments thinking nobody else has.

About the sigs, I, for one, choose not to display any sigs or avatars, simply because my 'net connection is bad enough that I'm not gonna spend the bandwidth & time on that stuff.

Add to that, it is generally-accepted netiquette for the OP to state in the body of the post all of the pertinent details, even if a sig file is in place.

Those who do a good job of it (including the details) stick 'em all at the very start (or very end), they also make their text easy to read by avoiding "writing walls of text" (not saying YOU did that, just a rhetorical statement).

Make it as easy as possible for somebody to help you, since you're getting this help for free.

In any event, yes, apology accepted, just learn from it, OK?

BTW what I said earlier still stands - first year of a check engine light connected to a computer was 1988.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Thanks bud. I honestly don't normally make mistakes such as that...I really don't. And I do appreciate all the help.

So 1987's didn't have a factory CEL? I figured they would since Ford had EFI a few years before that. Oh well, learn something new every day...lol

Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CEL wire behind the cluster, it'd be a Pink-Lt green wire in the main harness, it might be there yet simply missing it when looking for it.

Diagram shows it's there in my book, of course that doesn't mean much in of itself. 87 tru 89 lumped together.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Thanks Dan! I'll look again/closer...I just felt behind it in the general area. If it's not there (which it might not be, going by what ctubutis said), I know how to wire it in and I'll put it in the factory spot...

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Dan! I'll look again/closer...I just felt behind it in the general area. If it's not there (which it might not be, going by what ctubutis said), I know how to wire it in and I'll put it in the factory spot...
I walked out looked at mine a minute, it has no computer heavy duty 5.8L.

I don't know if it actually has the CEL in the dash, I looked with a flash light but couldn't really see all that well, not the bulb/socket so much but the display area for it where it'd light up (think you know what i mean) or not.

If it does have that part but without the bulb, its not up in the cluster area it'd be under it in with the rear anti lock and seat belt lights are I'd bet.

Looked like there was more there but just couldn't see/read it with the lighting I had to work with.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You also can't rely on any online VIN decoders, they ALL have various errors & omissions. Even Ford's (https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp)

As for FTE's, it says my engine code of Z (a 400 cid 2V carb in a 1981 F350) is a 300cid I6 fueled by natural gas.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
4601ton
Senior User
Yea, it's in the lens, right between the left turn signal indicator and the "engine" light...there's just no bulb/socket...I'm gonna look harder later on.

And ctubutis...that's pretty funny...yea, those VIN decoders were setup by humans, so they are subject to human error...lol

Quick Reply: a factory mistake?