Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Freshman User

ColoradoF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2012 Upfitter Switches

Was looking for some guidance on hooking up some lights and stuff to my upfitter switches. I have a 2012 F350 that's about 2 mos old and I'm just getting used to it....my first Ford :-)

I found a few other threads in this forum that talked about the 2010 and 2011 models with wiring diagrams, however, my 2012 doesn't seem to match? I've got a mess of wires under the dash (see pic) but the colors don't match the specs listed for previous years. I'm assuming my upfitter switches and my dummy wires (through the firewall) are in this mess somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The manual was less than helpful here...

Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
This might help:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-117R2.pdf

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Freshman User

Thanks, but....

I had this bulletin. What I can't figure out is that I have more than four wires down there and none of the colors match up with this document.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Posting Guru

GregsSD has a good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a good reputation on FTE.GregsSD has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoF350 View Post
I had this bulletin. What I can't figure out is that I have more than four wires down there and none of the colors match up with this document.

There should be another harness just above the one in your pic that has the upfitter wires, sometimes they are tucked up in there pretty good!

switch 1 - Yellow
switch 2 - Green w/Brown stripe
switch 3 - Violet w/Green stripe
switch 4 - Brown
SCT custom tuning, ARP headstuds, Banks turbo back 4" exhaust, Airraid intake
Old 01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Right. Ignore the bundle of many blunt cut wires. Those are for high idle, battery charge, PTO, and a bunch of other aftermarket accessory stuff.

Find the relay pack, using the photo in that document. The four wires are part of the wire bundle leading from the relay pack.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Junior User

Toyhauler Tug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yup! Mine were bundled up tight and almost hidden by the tape. Keep looking, this aint no snipe hunt. And welcome to the Ford family!!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Freshman User

Smile Ok, I found 'em...but...

I don't feel so bad now. I got frustrated and took it to the dealer. It took two different technicians 30 minutes to find them and they had to break out the manual to make sure they were supposed to be there! LOL!

Whoever built my truck in Michigan really used the tape and tucked them up high in the dash, but they finally found them and pulled them down for me. Service techs said they had never seen one that hard to find, but good to go now! Thanks to all that replied!

-JOEL
Old 07-03-2012, 12:08 AM
New User

Vampire2800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now that is cleared up, where does the ground wire go? Surely we don't just splice both wires to the upfitter wire, do we?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Freshman User

endoskeleton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire2800 View Post
Now that is cleared up, where does the ground wire go? Surely we don't just splice both wires to the upfitter wire, do we?
Nope! Run your ground to bare metal somewhere.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Freshman User

I'd say it depends on what you are wiring. Obviously the positive (red) goes to the upfitter switch. If you're wiring a light or something the ground (black) can go to any "grounded bare metal". If you're wiring electronics like a radio, GPS system, or something like that, I'd run a lead from the negative terminal of the battery, which is what I did. Just my 2 cents....but bare metal would probably work in either case. I just a have a preference for the battery connection if it's an electronic toy.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
New User

edlakia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't find the upfitter wires

You wouldn't be able snap a picture of where these are could ya and post. I can not find them on my 2011 F250 Diesel. I did find the harness plug. Also how about the engine side. I can't seem to see anything that looks like the wires might be taped up in them. Getting dark so I'll have another look in daylight. Asked my Ford dealer about installing it, but they had never done it, and they wanted to do it by the hour. I felt I was paying to train someone for the very first time.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Freshman User

BlindLucky is starting off with a positive reputation.
TY Very much
I looked at that mess and saw nothing but a nitemare
been doing auto repair and maintance on my own trucks for years and as a GM (camaro) enthusist that needed a truck to do real Work I went to Ford.

Now I'll need to locate the wires
Hook up the "ground effects"
and enjoy the easy way out!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Senior User

Knothole is starting off with a positive reputation.
In the left center you can see where I have spliced onto the yellow and green Upfitter leads.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Freshman User

BlindLucky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ahh Success

I've made my way thru the maze and found ways to distort my hands and found in my 2005 F350 4 wires with orange wirenuts on them.

Notably I removed the fuse panel and was given access to these 4 wires that worked with the uplifter switches and felt that the test light didn't lie...

I'd like to thank you all for steering me in the right direction...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM
New User

ubrpny is starting off with a positive reputation.
Other upfitter access points?

There is a mention in one of the Ford Body Builders bulletins that there are "other upfitter access points". Does anyone know where else on the chassis this might be? Or this only on the Chassis cabs?

(I have a 2012 F-350 and was trying to wire work/reverse lights up on the back. I saw the Ford service notice about not adding current draw to the existing reverse lights, which suggests using the reverse trailer wiring as the source. I found an interesting looking set of six and two wire cables near the hitch, but not part of the trailer wiring and wondered what the wires went to/from.)

I was thinking that I can't be the first to wire up better reverse lighting... :-)

All the best,

UP
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM