1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing with a towbar

Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
et_miller_87
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
towing with a towbar

Question about towing with a towbar for the more experienced guys here. I've towed plenty of times with a dolly or trailer, boats and such but never with just a tow bar with 4 wheels planted on the road. My questions are specifically about preparing the vehicle that will be towed. I understand the need to remove the driveshaft to keep from damaging my transmission. What other steps do I need to take? Just thinking about the physics of towing with all wheels on the ground I would need to unlock the steering column to allow for free movement of the steering components would be necessary to prevent binding of the towbar while towing, or am I incorrect in this assumption. Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and just for information's sake I'll be towing a 1994 f150 with an 03 f350 powerstroke.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:36 PM
redrivergorge
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive shaft out key forward might want to take the battery out for long distance. My tow bar sucks never went very far with it. Seems to loosen up too easy. I don't know if im an idiot or my particular tow bar sucks or if they all suck.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I "flat towed" Jeeps for many years. If your towed vehicle has a part time transfer case, shift the transfer case into neutral, and the transmission either in park (if auto), or in gear (if manual) to keep the transmission from rotating.

If it doesn't have a part time transfer case, then pull the drive shaft(s). Put a spare key in the ignition, and switch it off of the "lock" position. You should still have one position that is still "dead" for no electric running, but the steering wheel is unlocked. You are right, you will need the front tires to steer.

As far as going down the road goes, when you take a turn or curve, the towed vehicle will "push" you around the corner. So the first few times you tow it, it will be very disconcerting as it will push you deeper into the curve or turn.

Also bear in mind you will have no "trailer brakes" on your towed vehicle. There are a few aftermarket kits out there to make it work the vehicle brakes when you stop, but I would only do that if this was going to be a continuous arrangement.

If the vehicle you're towing is close to or equal to the weight of the vehicle pulling, all of this is more severe, as in the "pushing" will be more pronounced, and the brake power needed to stop will be severely increased.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Farmers around here drag their trucks all over the place behind heavy farm implements. Steering column unlocked, transfer case in neutral.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Check the rules in the state(s) you may be towing in.
Some may require that you have supplemental brake control in
the towed unit.

Towing World Official Website

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Sean

Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
I've flat towed many vehicles in the past. You don't see it done much anymore. I towed normal front engine/rear drive automobiles, but with manual transmissions.

Make sure you have some accommodations for the lights. The magnetic lights work well.

Having some weight on the back axle helps you with corners, lessening the tendency for the towed vehicle to push the rear of your truck.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 AM
et_miller_87
Senior User
Alright so I wasn't terribly far off from what I originally thought. I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
"Toads" are very common in the motorhome world and copious info is available on many rv sites...

but you have the basics here --- towing a 150 with a 350 may get you a sex crime ticket though

Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
et_miller_87
Senior User
So, towing the f150 behind an f350 doesn't sound sketchy at all to anyone? Sounds pretty intimidating to me. Spending money on a supplemental brake for the 150 for a one time one way trip seems almost like a waste..

Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 AM
et_miller_87
Senior User
Hahaha! Too much sexiness in one package eh? But for real. Think the brakes on the dually would be enough to keep that pickup sowed down?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 AM
djm1204
Elder User
I have flat towed jeeps all over the country - behind all kinds of vehicles - one very important thing to remember is that you cannot back up - with the steer wheels on the ground it will not go where you want it to. Does not work like a trailer at all. So just keep that in mind as you make pit stops, always have to be able to go forward.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM
et_miller_87
Senior User
Fortunately enough for me, my job requires me to be able to backup a vehicle that has its own steering system. That won't particularly be an issue if it does arise but I would agree that its much easier to avoid that situation all together.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
that's a skill I've not tried to master...
bet there is a trick to getting the wheels to go one way then flip them back...
but not trying it

Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 971 Likes on 747 Posts
you are in virgina according to your profile.

I checked the state dmv and stopped after hitting 2 strikes.

if the f-150 wieghts more than 3000 lbs you need to be able to controll the f-150 brakes. also need safety chains. you should also check restrictions for roads, turnpikes, parkways, etc. AND doble check if for example you have passenger plates on the powered vehicle and the state regs require commercial class vehicles to do towing over a certian payload rating, etc.

extract.

Every semi-trailer,trailer or separate vehicle attached by a draw<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

bar, chain orcoupling to a towing vehicle must be equipped<o></o>

with brakescontrolled or operated by the driver of the towing<o></o>

vehicle when thegross weight including the load exceeds<o></o>

3,000 pounds.<o></o>

<o> </o>

<o> </o>

The connectionbetween any two vehicles, one of which is<o></o>

towing or drawing theother on a highway, shall consist of a<o></o>

fifth wheel, drawbar,trailer hitch or other similar device not<o></o>

to exceed 15 feet inlength from one vehicle to the other. Any<o></o>

such two vehiclesshall, in addition to such drawbar or other<o></o>

similar device, beequipped at all times when so operated<o></o>

on the highway withan emergency chain or cable that is<o></o>

structurally adequateto securely stop and hold the trailer<o></o>

beingtowed.<o></o>

<o> </o>

<o></o>

Old 06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I don't know about other areas of the country, but you can buy Tow-Dollies all day long on Craigs List for $500-$700... I sold one for $450 about five years ago and wish now that I would have found a way to store/keep it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: towing with a towbar