Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Y-block oil pump cleaning

I'm cleaning up my engine and removed the oil pan and oil pump today.
Man there was a lot of sludge in the pan.
Now I want to make sure the oil pump is clean. The engine hasn't been run since around 1972 but has only about 30,000 on the rebuild (late 60's???)

I was tearing apart the oil pump and want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Is there something special to getting into it? I removed the 4 bolts, but it seems to be on tight and I don't want to break anything if possible. So I'm asking the experts before I do something too stupid.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Posting Guru

kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
could be just stuck ,if I remember right , it has 2 pin's to center it ..and the shaft is through both halves ..also a tight fit .. a brass drift or hammer and a little persuasion should pop it apart ....from side to side first to loosen the seal ..then it should slide right off ..how is the rest of the motor ?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Thanks for the tips, it looks like I'm missing one of the pins...
The rest of the motor looks good. When I first got the truck years ago, I freed it up and would regularly turn the engine with the starter. I think it just needs some cleaning and it will be good to go.

Here is a pic up inside.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Postmaster

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
You can clean it ,but there's a case where i would get a new one,they are easy to get. I have three of the old 292s ,good engine's if you keep the oil changed in them pretty regular. That was allways a problem with them ,not using good oil and not keeping it clean. A lot of them have been damaged by people letting the rockers run dry and then trying to adjust them so they run quiet,then messing up the valves and everything else on the top end.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
A lot of sludge in a Y block is not a good thing. A sludged up 30K mile engine does not sound good either, a bit suspicious. Must have not warmed up, lots of short trips.
Make certain all your oil passeges are CLEAN. Make sure the oil passeges in the rocker arms are clean and the rocker shaft is installed correctly. I vote for a new pump, also, less than $100. The new pump will look different.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Postmaster

A new one sounds like a good plan. That would also allow me to take this one apart and learn without concern about messing this one up.
The sludge is most likely from oil sitting in one place for 30-40 years.
I cleaned the rocker shaft several years ago and the truck sat after my daughter was born, so I need to look those over again and make sure all passages are clean.

Great advice everyone.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Postmaster

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
From what i can see in the picture the crank area looks pretty clean . But the timing chain are looks bad like it was driven on short trips and never did reach a good high operating temperature causing sludge to build up. Get the new pump you will feel better about it. Keep us up to date on how it goes,i like seeing somebody giving the old Y-block another chance in life.___JIM___
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Postmaster

This truck was a farm truck, so it probably didn't get out too much.
I will start an engine restoration thread (don't want to call it a rebuild because I'm not that good and will work on a shoestring budget.) It should help keep me motivated and you guys can help keep me from really screwing up.

It looks like a new oil pump can be had for about $60 from Napa, O'Reilly and AutoZone. Anyone have a preference of Melling or Sealed Power?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Postmaster

I will continue my dis-assembly with pictures for anyone who wants to rebuild one.
It looks like a rebuild kit is $40...and a whole new pump is $60...boy that makes it easier...

Well, I have a bunch of pictures on photobucket:
Oil Pump pictures by harrier1351 - Photobucket

Drive pieces:

More innards:
Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
That one looks like it may have had water in it at one time. Yep, replace it. Check the hex drive shaft for wear, about $10.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Postmaster

Looks pretty cruddy and has had water in it. Could have gotten in by a simple thing as sitting around with the oil fill cap missing for a while. Hope it's not that bad around the cam area as these engines never oiled the top end very good after a few years of use.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1957, block, diagram, ford, kit, oil, oiling, oreilly, pan, problems, pump, rebuild, replace, replacement, system, yblock