Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Elder User

Rongold is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question AMBIENT (OUTSIDE) TEMPERATURE SENSOR & HARNESS LOCATION

I'm adding an overhead console to my truck. Luckily, all the wiring necessary is in the connector behind the right kick panel that the console needs, except that there is no outside temperature sensor on the truck for the temp display in the console. Could someone with a 2002-2004 Lariat please take a look at their outside temperature sensor and let me know how it mounts and how the wire harness from it runs and where it connects up with the next harness. The sensor according to my EVTM manual looks like it is located behind the grille on the driver's side of the truck. The harness, according to the manual looks like it runs along the driver's side frame towards the back of the engine compartment, but I can't be sure--one picture of it shows it running along the bottom of the radiator support, so it might be on the passenger side. The connector at the far end of the harness, according to the same EVTM manual is located at the rear of the engine compartment, but there is no picture for the exact location of that connector. The rear of the engine compartment is a big place, and I really do not see any unused connectors there. Any help or pictures would be appreciated.

RON
Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Elder User

TEMP SENSOR & HARNESS HELP NEEDED.

Somebody on here must have a 2002, 2003, or 2004 Lariat. Where are you ???
Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Ron, I don't have an '04 and I don't have a Lariat. But I did add an overhead console and the ext temp sensor.

Here is where it mounts:
Click the image to open in full size.

The mounting holes already exist. The wires for the ext temp sensor won't exist. You will have to run them. I just spliced on some 18g wire I had around, and you can see how I looped it up and through the radiator support. Then I ran around the side of the engine compartment, and through the firewall, then up the drivers side A pillar to the overhead console. Done!

Later I had to run a VSS wire, and I followed the same path from the ABS harness and then up to the console. I suggest you run a spare wire now. I'm not sure what console you are doing, but I needed that wire.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Elder User

Question

TTT

Thanks for the picture Bill. I see the 2 holes where the sensor mounts, but I'm looking for the plug that the sensor jumper harness plugs into. I got the jumper harness from Ford. It's about 2 feet long. The temperature sensor plugs into 1 end of the jumper, and the connector has the 2 small "****" that go into the 2 holes to mount the sensor itself. It's the other end of the jumper that I'm looking to plug into another harness. Luckily, my truck had all the necessary wires for the console to work. Everything works except the temperature. My truck (XLT) is evidently one of the few that has a Lariat dash harness in it, possibly because the truck has a power driver's seat & adjustable pedals--I think they're standard in a Lariat.

There must be someone here that has an 02-04 Lariat---Nobody willing to help ???
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior User

SDV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 99 has it (looking at picture) above and behind the spot where you will mount the sensor. Blank plug with dead end cap. Real close to the headlight drivers side.

Bill
'99 F-250 SD V-10 SC, 04 Front end except markers, 3000# Cable Truck Bed, Added: Power heated/signal mirrors and cruise control 1/2012 Power door locks and power windows and Ford Alloy Wheels!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Elder User

HARNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDV10 View Post
My 99 has it (looking at picture) above and behind the spot where you will mount the sensor. Blank plug with dead end cap. Real close to the headlight drivers side.
Thanks for the reply Bill, but I think what you see is the connector for the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) resistor. It's bolted to the panel behind the driver's headlamp and faces upward with 2 male pins in it. It is shaped like the number "8". Mine has no dead end cap on it--it is bare--you can see the 2 pin type terminals. The connector I am looking for is round shaped, about 3/4" in diameter, with 2 terminals in it. Which one do you see, the round one or the number "8" shaped one ???

RON
Old 01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Senior User

SDV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think you're right. I just checked the wire colors and they match drl and not the temp sensor. The wires for the sensor are lb/og and gy/rd. According to the book it says "lh front of vehicle." I could not see it on mine. But it is raining and dark outside right now. It should be right in that general area if you have it. The wires come out of one of those three big plugs under your master brake. They are bolted thru the firewall. Maybe you can follow it from there? lb/og is the same color on either side of the plug but the gy/rd goes in pk/og (inside cab) and comes out gy/rd (engine compartment). gy/rd is in the center connector pin 17. Just by the way mine does not have that option so it isn't anywhere. I am going strictly off the shop manuals. Hope it helps.

Bill
'99 F-250 SD V-10 SC, 04 Front end except markers, 3000# Cable Truck Bed, Added: Power heated/signal mirrors and cruise control 1/2012 Power door locks and power windows and Ford Alloy Wheels!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Junior User

GulfcoastSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribed. I am interested in this info as well. I will be installing one into my 2002 F350 XLT. I am having trouble figuring out what size and where to cut the headliner
Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 325/65/R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers and headache rack, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher, AIS, Bosch Alternator, Viper 3000 alarm, NFab Nerf bars
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Postmaster

Bigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfcoastSD View Post
Subscribed. I am interested in this info as well. I will be installing one into my 2002 F350 XLT. I am having trouble figuring out what size and where to cut the headliner
Do a search of overheadconsoles.com Thats where I got mine and he includes the template for the cutout and a wiring schematic , you also might find it under olbirdconsoles.com
2000 f150 4x4 work truck 4.6 AKA Martha
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...es35/truck.jpg
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Junior User

GulfcoastSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought all the components already so that wont really work for me
Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 325/65/R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers and headache rack, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher, AIS, Bosch Alternator, Viper 3000 alarm, NFab Nerf bars
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
04, 2001, 2009, ambiant, ambient, change, external, f150, ford, gauge, sensor, temp, temperature, test, truck