Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior User

Brian429 is starting off with a positive reputation.
front shock/strut replacement

First off pardon me for any stupid questions I might ask here.

I am long overdue for new shocks on my '06. The struts on the front can be replaced just by themselves, correct? Everywhere I call for some reason is giving me a price on the whole strut assembly, assuming thats with the spring?

I have a 3" leveling kit on my front, should that require different struts then a stock front end? Most places are telling me no, but I think I read on here where some guys got different struts? I guess I've been driving around with the factory struts with the leveling kit so I should be ok to just replace them?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Senior User

keisha9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dude get some shocks and reuse your springs, if you have the leveling spacers that is. If you have a lift get longer shocks. bilsteins are good for trucks. i personally run the 5100. the guy that tried to sell u a whole strut assembly wants your money. have a good day
Old 01-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Elder User

aquaman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Agreed. No reason to swap out the whole assembly

Anyone here do their shocks themselves? How much of a hassle is it? I replaced my own shocks on my cars in the past by removing the whole strut. Kind of a pain, but it was manageable. How does this compare?

How do the 5100's ride compared to factory Ranchos?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
The work is not overly hard to replace the front shocks but there is a danger in that the spring has a lot of pressure on it and unless you have the knowledge to make sure that spring is not going to come loose while removing the shock I would not do it. You can do this either with the piece of equipment designed to keep the tension on the spring while you take the rest of the assembly apart or I have even see people do it using nylon tension straps to hold the spring in place and then release it once the new shock is installed and the assembly put back together. Again there is a danger in doing it so you take responsible for yourself.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 AM
Freshman User

04fxdwgi is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
The work is not overly hard to replace the front shocks but there is a danger in that the spring has a lot of pressure on it and unless you have the knowledge to make sure that spring is not going to come loose while removing the shock I would not do it. You can do this either with the piece of equipment designed to keep the tension on the spring while you take the rest of the assembly apart or I have even see people do it using nylon tension straps to hold the spring in place and then release it once the new shock is installed and the assembly put back together. Again there is a danger in doing it so you take responsible for yourself.
Rent the strut spring tool at one of the auto supply houses. It's an easy job with the tool. I wouldn't do it without the proper equipment, as I have seen one come apart when a fellow was trying to do it on the cheap without the tool and he almost took his head off when the spring came loose. He needed 8 stiches on the side of his head to close it up. He was lucky......

Bottom line, be safe and take it slow. It's a really easy job to do and be safe too.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 AM