Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Will not start

Hey all,

I did a search for "won't start" and got threads in the diesel forums, but nothing for gas engines. Everything has worked fine up until last Friday. I got into it to go somewhere, and it would not start. No starter turning, no starter clicking, nothing. I could hear the fuel pump turn on, and the dome lights, and radio still came on, but nothing to the starter. I made sure it was in park, and even tried putting it in neutral with the same result. I checked the cable connections on the battery and found the negative cable was loose. Tightened it, and tried again, no luck. I did not have time to do any further testing then, so I waited until Saturday morning. I cleaned the top of the battery, filled it with water and used a wire brush on both cable ends, and posts. Tightened everything up, and then tried it. Nothing. I have a small trickle charger, so I connected that, and left it on overnight. I checked this morning and it still will not start. I can still hear the fuel pump come on, but nothing else.

I checked the voltage of the battery, and at first it showed 10.8 volts. However, as I was holding the probes on the battery posts, the reading was steadily increasing, eventually stopping at 11.8 volts. If I remember correctly it should have 12.6 volts. So the battery voltage is low, but wouldn't it turn the start slowly? I don't know if the battery just died by itself, or if it is a result of the alternator not charging it. It is going to be difficult for me to get these two items to the local Autozone to test them, most likely will not happen until the weekend when a friend can come over and take them.

I am thinking that there is something wrong with the battery, because it should be showing more than 11.8 volts after being on a charger all night. However, I am also thinking 11.8 volts would be enough to turn the engine over, and it is not doing that. The gauges jump slightly when I turn the key, and the fuel pump whines, but it acts just like it would if I tried to start it in gear. So maybe the neutral safety switch is bad. However, I don't know where that is located, or how I would even test it. This is on the 1993 Bronco in my sig with the 351w engine and A4OD trans.

Jim

Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
The Neutral safety swith is teh MLPS switch. it is attached tot eh trans right wherte the linkage bolts up.

Can you jump it? If it jumps fine, I'd look into new cable clamps (common issue they rot internally)

Have you checked the starter solenoid on the fender well? You can jump it using wire to see if its bad.

The truck should still start or at least make an attempt at 11+ volts

Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I have not checked the starter solenoid. I looked right at it, and it did not even register with me to try it. Cable clamps I can buy this next payday, however, like you, I think it should at least make an attempt with 11.8 volts. I have not tried to jump start it, I can try that and the solenoid tomorrow, and see what happens.

Jim

Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put the meter on the battery and read the voltage when you turn the key to start. If there is a big drop, you could have a part shorted out. See if it will start when jumped....may have to totally disconnect the battery to get it to jump. You should get some starter action, or at least the solenoid clicking with that voltage.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I agree, that is why I am thinking neutral safety switch, or solenoid. When I have started it before, it started right up, no slowing down of the starter to indicate a weak battery. Why would you need to totally disconnect the battery to jump start it?

Jim

Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
You shouldn't need to disconnect it.

You may also crawl under and make sure the trans is actually in Park. The cable my be stretched (ask me how I know) causing the truck to actually be in reverse. Your reverse lights may not come on (if sensor is out of adjustment) to tell you.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it's the starter solenoid (since there isn't clicking), there is also this little connector in the starter, i think it's a ground, if it gets dirty or loose the truck won't start. Other possible cause is the starter switch.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the tips. I doubt I will be able to crawl under the truck to check to see if the trans is actually in park as I am partially disabled, and getting down on the ground is a major problem (actually, it is the getting back up that is the problem), so for the time being, I will have to check what I can under the hood. I am hoping it is a loose connection somewhere. The only thing I did in between the time it ran fine, and the time it would not start is use that Meguire's tire cleaner on some of the rubber hoses, and plastic under the hood. Maybe I disconnected something by mistake. That is how I found out the negative battery cable was loose. I tried cleaning it, and it moved around. I will do a more thorough check of everything I touched with the Meguires, and maybe get lucky and see a loose wire or ground or something.

Jim

Old 01-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I chased the same problem on mine. Ended up being the clamps on the battery cables. Easy $5 fix.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Reason I said disconnect the battery to jump start it is if the battery is shorted internally, it may not even jump without the battery being taken out of the system. This was also said after the part about having a big drop in the voltage when trying to start. I have seen this happen on two of my cars in the past. Just another way to investigate your issues.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possible that while cleaning in there you pulled the ignition wire off the starter soleniod? It would fit on one of the small posts coming off the front bottom of the soleniod.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

It is possible, and I am praying that that is the issue here. I will double check everything I cleaned and look for loose/disconnected wires. It may very well be the battery clamps though as they both look like they have been on the Bronco since it was new. The negative clamp is broken, and I had to wedge a small screw in between it and the battery terminal to make a tight connection. I have since done that to the positive clamp as well. Whether they are the problem or not, I will buy new ones this week when I get paid.

Jim

Old 01-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You need to get a friend to look under the truck for you.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Found a blown fuse when checking the fuse box, but I don't have the owner's manual or a repair guide to tell me which one it is. In the pic it is the green one laying on its side, and it goes in the 5th slot from the top, which is right in front of where I have it laying. Anyone know what this fuse is for? I also found out that the negative battery cable is still loose even with the screw in it. So, I will buy two cable ends, and a box of 30 amp fuses when my check gets here. I checked all the grounds, and they are solid. I also checked the solenoid connections, and they are good. I did not try to jump start it as I will wait to replace that fuse (unless it is determined to belong to something not related to this problem).

If the cable ends, and fuse do not correct the problem, I will bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver (don't have a remote starter switch) and see if that is the issue. If all else fails, then I will have to wait until this weekend, when I can get a friend to crawl under and check the mlps.
Jim

Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
A quick check indicates that is the trailer battery charge fuse.....from my '93 manual.

Quick Reply: Will not start