Sponsored by:

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I will pick that up this weekend (if it does not rain) after I get paid. If it works it will be cheaper than a new battery, and if not, only waster $4.31

Jim
Jim, you might want to think that through first. Is it a good idea for a partially-disabled person to be lifting the battery up and out of a Bronco, dumping it upside-down somewhere safe to empty it, standing it back up, and neutralizing all of the spilled acid off of the outside of the case, without getting any on you or, disaster, in your eye?
Then opening up the jug and carefully pouring in high-Molarity Sulfuric acid into each of the cells?
Then heft the battery back up and over the fender?
At a minimum, you should be wearing safety goggles (not glasses), and have plenty of water ready right by you in case of accident.

After all that, if the battery was sulphated up, or swelled plates, or high resistance intercell connector, or any number of other things, replacing the acid in it will not do any good.

If you can't wait to save up for a new battery, maybe some place that works on cars would sell you a used battery, real cheap. Just have to make sure that it fits your tray and hold-down. And that the cables can reach the proper posts.
The more urban an area you live in, the more likely you will be able to find a place that sells pullouts. It's like buying used tires. They should be able to look up to see what batteries would fit a Bronco.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torky2
Jim, you might want to think that through first. Is it a good idea for a partially-disabled person to be lifting the battery up and out of a Bronco, dumping it upside-down somewhere safe to empty it, standing it back up, and neutralizing all of the spilled acid off of the outside of the case, without getting any on you or, disaster, in your eye?
Then opening up the jug and carefully pouring in high-Molarity Sulfuric acid into each of the cells?
Then heft the battery back up and over the fender?
At a minimum, you should be wearing safety goggles (not glasses), and have plenty of water ready right by you in case of accident.

After all that, if the battery was sulphated up, or swelled plates, or high resistance intercell connector, or any number of other things, replacing the acid in it will not do any good.

If you can't wait to save up for a new battery, maybe some place that works on cars would sell you a used battery, real cheap. Just have to make sure that it fits your tray and hold-down. And that the cables can reach the proper posts.
The more urban an area you live in, the more likely you will be able to find a place that sells pullouts. It's like buying used tires. They should be able to look up to see what batteries would fit a Bronco.
Though you have a point, i don't think he planned on changing the acid within the battery, i think he was just going to make sure there was enough water and if it was low, top it off. This doesn't require removing the battery all together. you do have to be careful when opening the covers on the battery to get to the holes.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
On the Road again!

I was not totally happy with the acid trick as I figured it might not even work and I would have gone through the hassle for nothing.

So, Joe (JoeF350), who only lives 10 miles south of me now, came up and we went to the local Pick-n-Pull and I bought a reconditioned battery for $26.99 ($31.55 with tax and environmental fee) that even comes with a 6 month warranty. Joe carried the old one in and the new one out. He popped it in the truck, and presto-chango, it started right up! I am now a happy camper again!
Thanks Joe for all your help.

Jim

PS: I had already opened up the covers, and topped off the water in the battery. if I did buy the acid, I would have done what was mentioned above, however, now that I think about it, I don't think it would have been possible for me to do that. Getting it out of the Bronco alone would have been hard enough, tipping it over, and hoping I don't get splashed with acid would have been next to impossible.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ya it sounds like buying the recon one was a lot easier. Glad its back up and going. You know i had a brain fart a few days ago, went out to warm my truck up and no start... I though "Oh great whats broken now" I tried my lights and they all worked, went out and made sure i had no loose connections all that crap. I had though my started was frozen or something so i grabbed my hammer and was going to get my creeper so i could pound it and try again. But i decided to try jumping to solenoid to see what would happen and BAM it cranked... The whole truck lurked which kind of worried me but i was more worried about getting it running so after i got it started i went back into the house. and when i went out to leave i said to myself " You know i wonder if it was in park" and turns out it was ever so slightly in reverse hence the lurching and low idle and not starting... I felt like a dumba§§ for most of the morning. I have had to replace almost every part of the starting system so i thought the solenoid went out..

Last edited by GruesomeJeans; 01-21-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Swear evading
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
One of the first things I checked was to see if it was in park or reverse. Also tried putting it in neutral, but with no luck. I am glad I was able to get a battery on the cheap. Even if it only lasts 6 months, I got my money's worth out of it.

Jim

Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ya, i always forget about the shifter thing... it has happened before...

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Jim, that's what friends are for! Glad you had one not too far away that would pitch in and help you. I just couldn't picture you doing all the battery manipulation in your present condition.

Good job, Joe!