Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

LED Mirror Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Are your mirrors heated? That may be the reason for the wiring difference. I couldnt get any wire out. I have puddle lamps too. Maybe thats the difference? I dont really know. Once it was apart it was obvious the wire was bundled to the rear of the mirror so if I pulled any harder, no good would have come of it.

I followed the directions for removing the mirrors from another forum...dont know if its against the rules to post it so if anyone is interested just do a google search and you should find it easy enough. You need to unhinge the mirror from 3 points - its a delicate operation. Getting it back on is also one too.

I guess at the end of the day, if you have enough slack in your wires to go through the puddle lamp hole, go for it. Theres no reason to take it apart otherwise.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Pics I took this morning. Not the best - realize now my digital camera was set on the worst resolution possible.

In the daylight I am happier with the reflectors than I was last night.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks great. i liked the tinted effect on the black truck

Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Awesome, I too have wondered why there is an amber reflector but no light in there? I was just thinking about starting a thread about this, but I want to mod mine to stay on with the park/ headlamps like they do on the Superduty & Toyota Tundra as an example. Anyway looks good on yours.
Thanks... Yeah that too would look good. You'd just have to run a parking light wire up to the mirrors but other then that it's the same process.
Just wanted to comment on this - I've seen it where someone used the existing signal wire and a newly-routed parking light wire together for this mod. They used 2 diodes per mirror (keeps the current going only in one direction) and a resistor on the parking light wire (so the parking light wasnt as bright as the signal light) and at the end of the day the LED was both a running light and a signal. Pretty sweet mod if you feel like finding the way to run the parking light wire to the mirror. If you are going to take the time to do that wire-routing, the electrical components are really cheap to also make it a blinker. If you search google for something like "f150 reflectors to blinkers diode" I think you would find a diagram, etc. Just a suggestion if you havent thought of it. Would be cool as just a running lamp too!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 AM
2011FX2Crazy
Senior User
good idea ThirdsACharm however, LED's are very particular about incoming voltage. 12v LEDs will have a very small voltage operating range before you'll damage them. usually in a case like that you'd want to use two different kinds of Leds based on their light output. I've seen the LED strips like I used in my mirrors with 2 circuits in them and for this exact purpose....

great mod though, I'm a big fan of lights. anything to improve visability without looking hideous

Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 AM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2011FX2Crazy
good idea ThirdsACharm however, LED's are very particular about incoming voltage. 12v LEDs will have a very small voltage operating range before you'll damage them. usually in a case like that you'd want to use two different kinds of Leds based on their light output. I've seen the LED strips like I used in my mirrors with 2 circuits in them and for this exact purpose....

great mod though, I'm a big fan of lights. anything to improve visability without looking hideous
Good to know..I wasnt aware of that. Like the idea of a 2-circuit LED.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirdsACharm
Just wanted to comment on this - I've seen it where someone used the existing signal wire and a newly-routed parking light wire together for this mod. They used 2 diodes per mirror (keeps the current going only in one direction) and a resistor on the parking light wire (so the parking light wasnt as bright as the signal light) and at the end of the day the LED was both a running light and a signal. Pretty sweet mod if you feel like finding the way to run the parking light wire to the mirror. If you are going to take the time to do that wire-routing, the electrical components are really cheap to also make it a blinker. If you search google for something like "f150 reflectors to blinkers diode" I think you would find a diagram, etc. Just a suggestion if you havent thought of it. Would be cool as just a running lamp too!
I actually did my mirrors this way. Routing the parking lamp wire was the hardest part. I removed the doors completely, and ran the wire next to the wiring plug in door jamb. You can barely see it, and the overall mod works great. Yes, it took 2 diodes and 1 resistor per mirror. I already had all the parts, but if I had to buy everything, you could get the led lights, wire, resistors and diodes for under 35.00! I bought my led's at autozone for 20.00, and they work perfect even as a blinking assembly.

Great mod for that price!!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me..... What is a puddle lamp? I would like to do this mod. Bu not sure what a puddle lamp is referring to.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Puddle lamps are mounted on the bottom of the mirror, facing the ground. The idea is to have some light in the area of the door, so you don't step into a puddle as you approach the vehicle.

I guess I'm weird - I prefer my truck stay 100% dark when I approach...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
That's what I thought.... Didn't wanna remove the wrong piece. Lol. Thanks

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
GORDEN1234
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED IN MIRRIORS I JUST DONE IT

HEY GUYS I JUST DONE THE LED,GO TO AUTO ZONE GET THE 4IN RED LED AND PUT IN THERE THEY SHOW UP 10 TIMES BETTER I WILL RUN DAY TIME TO THEM THIS WEEK END ,

Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I gotta' do this. Great mod & write-up!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I don't have the puddle lights . Now what?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I personally think the amber lights look much better than the blacked out lights. I mean after all it is about safety and seeing the turn signal clearer...and the blacked out mod is not helping that especially in the daytime.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
@Fire Rooster - There should be a cap on the base of the mirror where the puddle lamp would be if you had them. You can pry that little cap off and go through there. If you dont have a cap, you have to take the mirror apart.

@PrinceValium - Yeah, the reflecting qualities are compromised with the blackout.
Though the LEDs burn through fine even in daytime.
From a maximizing safety perspective, probably best to leave them amber.
At this point, its clear I am just never going to grow up and some things I am going to do because they "look cool" (even if only to me!)

Quick Reply: LED Mirror Mod