General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
I "make do" with one o them thar fancy French presses. Cheep,easy to clean, takes up nearly no space,and almost as fast as keurig

Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,664 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Originally Posted by nitrogen
I "make do" with one o them thar fancy French presses. Cheep,easy to clean, takes up nearly no space,and almost as fast as keurig

They make a great cup of coffee, too.

I've got a Bunn coffee maker at the house. It makes an entire pot in less time than the Keurig makes 2 cups, and it's just as good.

Anybody with a Mr. Coffee need not enter the discussion.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Every engineer needs to serve a sentence of five to ten years working in the building of whatever they will be designing. At that point, they will either try to avoid causing difficulty, or they will have an excuse for their sadistic designs.
I seriously believe Dodge engineers had their girlfriends stolen by mechanics, I have never worked on vehicles that seemed so intentionally poorly designed. Stupid stuff like making sure to not deburr edges, or grind off casting flash, or give enough room for bolts to come out.
You weren't supposed to find out about that!

Remember that every group of disgruntled engineers has to please equally disgruntled groups of marketing people and government regulators.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
My wife makes good coffee with her french press. I gave her one of those espresso pots which does taste different (a bit better I think) but she tends not to use it because it only makes one cup at a time.

Now I want coffee. I wonder if there are any good Keureg cups in the other room...

Old 07-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Yep Roy has a Keureg coffee machine, MMMMmmmmm

I wish I would have known! lol

I went with the routine camp style of heat water and dump in instant coffee.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

Didn't realize people drank that stuff

Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a Keurig pretty often. Working nights I don't want to leave a full pot in the actual coffee maker to sit overnight. I will usually set it to strong with is like drip coffee, really slow. And let that go while so I can get my lunch ready. It isn't great and I'm noticing more grounds. I bought a reusable filter for your own ground coffee but haven't had a chance to use it

My parents use a Burr Grinder to grind their own beans. I suppose it's a little fresher. But the coffee they get doesn't taste as good to me. I need a small grinder or something.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,664 Likes on 2,600 Posts
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
I use a Keurig pretty often. Working nights I don't want to leave a full pot in the actual coffee maker to sit overnight. I will usually set it to strong with is like drip coffee, really slow. And let that go while so I can get my lunch ready. It isn't great and I'm noticing more grounds. I bought a reusable filter for your own ground coffee but haven't had a chance to use it

My parents use a Burr Grinder to grind their own beans. I suppose it's a little fresher. But the coffee they get doesn't taste as good to me. I need a small grinder or something.
I've used a grinder and like the results. It will make coffee that's slightly better than the beans, mostly due to freshness. But it won't make great coffee from only good beans.

But if you start with really good beans, the coffee is wonderful.

Years ago I had weaned myself down from the 30 cups/day Air Force base coffee to essentially zero. Then we hired a new admin in the office. She came in, took one sip of the commercial coffee in the pot and said, "No! this won't work!" The next day she brought in her own grinder and beans. As soon as the aroma filled the office I knew I had to have some coffee. Which got me back to drinking coffee. There was a ~4 month period where I was coffee free. Looking back, I do have to ask myself, "what the hell were you thinking?"

Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Was picking up my 5th wheel. Thought this was a good picture with the background

Name:  20160711_171552_zpstmj0erfc.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  90.3 KB

Old 07-12-2016, 11:51 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Beautiful truck pgg00! Nice camper too!

Old 07-12-2016, 01:40 PM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
beautiful pickup!

Any of you guys have your own roasters? The guy that hosted our last office Christmas party had one and used it. Wow that smelled wonderful. It was pretty neat watching the beans change color as they roasted too.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Every engineer needs to serve a sentence of five to ten years working in the building of whatever they will be designing. At that point, they will either try to avoid causing difficulty, or they will have an excuse for their sadistic designs.
I seriously believe Dodge engineers had their girlfriends stolen by mechanics, I have never worked on vehicles that seemed so intentionally poorly designed. Stupid stuff like making sure to not deburr edges, or grind off casting flash, or give enough room for bolts to come out.
i worked a road job where the county made the engineer that wrote the plans oversee the job. they had learned a long time before that unless they are out on the road, they will never learn "what works on paper does not always work in real life",
and let me tell ya something, after being out on the road for one or two jobs, they learn their lesson, or go to work somewhere else.
it was a real pleasure working there, the engineers actually knew what they were doing, and if a problem arose they would ask the contractors for input on the best way to fix the issue.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:09 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
My wife makes good coffee with her french press. I gave her one of those espresso pots which does taste different (a bit better I think) but she tends not to use it because it only makes one cup at a time.

Now I want coffee. I wonder if there are any good Keureg cups in the other room...
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

i still use my great grandmothers perculator pot.
and not an electric one either. this is the kind you put on the open flame to make work.
takes about 1/2 hour to make 12 cups, but it is better than any coffee i have ever bought in any store.
and i only use maxwell house coffee.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I grew up drinking folgers out of a sunbeam percolator my Mom used it up until she past away in 2014 , talk about some John Wayan Coffee , that song grounds in my coffee helt too, now when Dad made coffee you could stand a spoon up in it lol

Old 07-12-2016, 07:39 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Not just engineers, but throw the architects in there too. Although I can confirm at least one instance where an Architect was made to office in a building he designed (poorly) for a period of several years. I got involved in fixing said building after the sentence by the judge had expired. The owner of the building held onto it long enough to make sure the architect served his full term then dumped it.

It was one of those environmentally friendly green buildings that used natural products and energy super efficient stuff and resulted in condensation on the floors that caused enough slips and falls that a chiropractor actually moved into the building to treat the injured.

Quick Reply: Pics or it didn't happen!