1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Tools, tools, I gotta have more tools!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bill - I have a Craftsman stick welder across the water from you in lower, slower Delaware that was given away the same way.

Matthew - You have a warranty on your batteries?

Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i might have to try rigid out next with that warrenty! i use milwakee and porter cable impacts now. have a cheap harbor fright one too that the battery goes out fairly quick in.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:52 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most of my cordless stuff is Dewalt, started with a combo pack that was a belated birthday present. A couple of years later I got the 1/2" impact as a birthday present from my wife. The original NiCad batteries that came in the combo pack got pretty weak last year. I was in the Northern store in Hampton VA to get a replacement for my Craftsman 1/2" corded drill (big sucker with a side or rear handle option) as it had stripped a gear and Sears no longer has parts for it. The manager there is an old friend, so ended up $30 off the drill, and a discount on a two pack of the XRP Lithium Ion 18V batteries.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Bill - I have a Craftsman stick welder across the water from you in lower, slower Delaware that was given away the same way.

Matthew - You have a warranty on your batteries?
Sorry, didn't see this. Yes, there is a warranty. 2 year on battery, 5 year on tool I think.

Another thing that kind of drove me away is when I was researching the Rigid lifetime warranty a lot of people were pissed off that they wouldn't honor it for either the battery, or tool for whatever reason. A bunch of excuses and disclaimers, the usual. Didn't hear that as much with Milwaukee.

Hopefully that isn't the case with everyone. A lot of it has to do with the attitude of the people complaining I think. I don't think people cussing at Rigid because their battery or tool failed is going to get them that far LOL.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I, too, cussed Ridgid for a time. But it was their local repair facility here in Tulsa that was the problem. They weren't open when they said they would be, refused to answer the phone, etc. I complained many times to Ridgid, who said they had no control - although that's hogwash as their contract surely doesn't allow their repair centers to not open their doors.

In any event, about two years ago Home Depot's tool rental department started handling the repairs, warranty claims, etc. and over night things got dramatically better. So, if you are seeing complaints then check to see when they were filed. If prior to two years ago then they may have had similar experiences to mine.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Most of my cordless stuff is Dewalt, started with a combo pack that was a belated birthday present. A couple of years later I got the 1/2" impact as a birthday present from my wife. The original NiCad batteries that came in the combo pack got pretty weak last year. I was in the Northern store in Hampton VA to get a replacement for my Craftsman 1/2" corded drill (big sucker with a side or rear handle option) as it had stripped a gear and Sears no longer has parts for it. The manager there is an old friend, so ended up $30 off the drill, and a discount on a two pack of the XRP Lithium Ion 18V batteries.
I let Dewalt go back in 2010 or 2011. The stuff they sell at most places isn't pro grade. I have had so many issues with a broad spectrum of their tools. Everything from drills, saws even with or without cords. They have also figured out how to change the design and components every few years so you cant repair them and have to buy new ones. I think Dewalt is a waste of money IMO. I switched everything over to Hitachi and have been very pleased with the results.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Never been much of a fan of yellow tools, but that's just me. My brother has a few Dewalt tools and I don't like the feel of them.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Finally got the stainless corner worktop built and installed. I've only had the pieces about 8 years, but there was no place in the shop to use it until recently when I had a car port built behind the shop to hold the to-be projects. So, with the Bee out of the shop I turned to getting the worktop installed. If feels good!

So, I'm thinking that it might be time to build an engine.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks good too.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bruno2
It looks good too.
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Got an 18" Kobalt breaker bar and a new Hitachi G12SR3 angle grinder. Put about 40 or so hours on my old Skil grinder and WORE that thing out. Bearings were junk, cord was not working in certain positions. I got my $30's worth out of it. The Hitachi is much quieter and the switch is much better. Plus it comes with a case and 5 grinding wheels. Happy so far. As far as the breaker bar I removed a set of cylinder heads from our van with it. Worked nicely. Much nicer than my 1930's Craftsman 15" 1/2" breaker bar. I removed a set of Ford FE heads which are torqued to 100-105 ft lbs with that 15" bar once. NEVER doing that again! the extra 3" added to the bar sure helps a lot.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:21 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
how do you like the quality of them kobalt tools?

can anyone remember what brand cordless drills and impacts it was that had lifetime warranty on battery and drills?

Old 09-12-2015, 02:25 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I've got a Kobalt 3/8 drive metric socket set, a Kobalt breaker bar, 1/2" drive ratchet, a torque wrench and the soft grip screwdriver set. VERY happy with it all so far. I like them better than Craftsman, same price, same warranty. Lowes is closer than Sears and the tools are much easier on the hand. Only "down side" is the ratchets have a fat head but haven't found that to be hardly an issue.

Whenever I get a new ratchet I immediately take it apart and put grease in them. Feels like a totally different ratchet after that, much quieter too.

As far as the cordless tools lifetime warranty. That would be Ridgid. I personally have Milwaukee. I've used Ridgid working for relatives and liked them a lot. Excellent power and battery life on a charge.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:23 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
So, I'm thinking that it might be time to build an engine. [/IMG]
Looks like a 5.0?

Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Looks like a 5.0?
Integral timing case and 'shelf' on the front of the block.
335 series for sure.

Quick Reply: Tools, tools, I gotta have more tools!