EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Another Ecoboost failure story

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 PM
New F150 Guy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Ecoboost failure story

So I take my truck into the dealer with only 2500 miles on it for stalling several times, running rough, idling rough, extremely low gas mileage, etc etc... No codes, no further troubleshooting, everything a-ok according to them.

So I head out with the family on a trip today and joining the turnpike I have to try and merge with a semi coming up. He slows a bit to make room but I have to step into it to make it in front...

And... yep the truck falls flat. Shakes, shudders and starts decelerating. I barely had enough room to move to the side between the guard rail and a semi trying to avoid running us over. Shut it down, restart seems ok...

Get off the turnpike, start out from the next light, shake, shudder, decelerate. Can't touch the throttle without extreme vibration and misfiring.

At least the check engine light came on this time. Maybe they will be able to pull a code and acknowledge that it isn't a-ok.

Love the truck, the engine.... not so much.

I understand the concept of not putting too much in these forums that would keep people from buying an ecoboost, but if I would have read the forums I might have been able to avoid one of the costliest mistakes I've made so far. I'm willing to be there are a whole lot of eco owners out there in my same situation that aren't willing to take the ego hit when having to admit that the shiny new truck they just purchased with that "upgrade" engine turned out to be a major mistake.

I've read many other forums and can see now that this isn't an isolated incindet with the eco...

Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I'm very sorry for your troubles. Now that a CEL has come on, limp her to the dealer and get it fixed.

Looking for an update when you get her back.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by New F150 Guy
I understand the concept of not putting too much in these forums that would keep people from buying an ecoboost....
That's not what FTE is about. Folks on the site are looking for opinions (good and bad) and sharing stories of successes and failures. Nothing at all wrong with your post / thread.

Make sure to keep us updated.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:34 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah bud, I hope they get this fixed for you. Please, get it to the dealer ASAP and let us know what they find.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the report, NEW F150 GUY. That's exactly why I'm waiting to buy a new F150. My 06 5.4L only has 49K miles and still does what I ask of it. I remember that before I bought my 05 PSD 6.0L that there weren't too many complaints on that engine. A year after I bought it the floodgates opened and everyone seemed was having problems with head gasket failure and EGR cooler failures, and etc. I also had some problems with that engine. That's why I'm waiting. When the engine has been out 3-4 years and people get some mileage on them we'll know if Ford did good. I'm more worried about the engine management system than the engine itself. I would be highly ticked if I had an EB and only could get 13-14 mpg highway and couldn't find a dealer to fix it because of lack of knowledge or laziness of the techs. If I had to buy new today, I'd probably go with the 5.0L or 6.2L. I just don't want to get stung by Ford again on their hi-tech stufflike I did with the 6.0L.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:48 PM
littlelooney
New User
dam been following the ecoboost forums for a wial haven`t heard alot of negative more possitive please let everyone know the out come . I finally drove one the other day and signed the paper work hoping to pick it up soon .

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM
serviceguy
Junior User
I had a simular problem turns out the drivers side cat had fallen apart inside, my dealer said that mine was the third one they had replaced

Old 01-02-2012, 09:10 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by serviceguy
I had a simular problem turns out the drivers side cat had fallen apart inside, my dealer said that mine was the third one they had replaced
This must be the 40% of the truck that wasn't made in America. The seems to be a new piece of info here on FTE, thank you for sharing.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
New F150 Guy
Freshman User
Well I didn't expect them to come back with the same answer as last time. Everything a-ok.

No codes, can't duplicate. I started asking about the CEL coming on without storing codes and they just stated that the computer didn't pull any codes when they hooked it up. I'm not sure how that is possible?

I'm now officially in the dog house with the wife. She wasn't happy having to pull off the side of the road these last two times and now with me telling her that there isn't a fix or even a cause in sight, she isn't looking to kindly upon my "upgrade" engine and switch to Ford.

What is a drivers side cat? Is that the converter?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Well I didn't expect them to come back with the same answer as last time. Everything a-ok.

No codes, can't duplicate. I started asking about the CEL coming on without storing codes and they just stated that the computer didn't pull any codes when they hooked it up. I'm not sure how that is possible?

I'm now officially in the dog house with the wife. She wasn't happy having to pull off the side of the road these last two times and now with me telling her that there isn't a fix or even a cause in sight, she isn't looking to kindly upon my "upgrade" engine and switch to Ford.

What is a drivers side cat? Is that the converter?
IMHO, find another Ford dealer and seek a second opinion. There is a reason why this truck is stumbling all over itself and I'll bet someone can find the answer.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
I think you should try another dealer also. You might have to leave it with them so they can attempt to duplicate the problem.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take it to another dealer also. There is a reason for your problems. There are also procedures to follow for diagnostics. If there aren't any codes, there are symptoms to work from. Sounds to me like present dealer's service department is trying to take the easy stuff and make excuses for what they don't check. I had a dealer like that when I had my 05 PSD SD F250. Finally got rid of truck and dealer also. After I called that dealership and explained why I wasn't interested in their mailings and won't buy from them again, the service department got a house cleaning. I still won't go back to that dealer.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
New F150 Guy
Freshman User
Well the dealership called back. Evidently the short conversation I had with the service manager caused them to decide to contact Ford again. I'm not sure why they thought they would get a different answer, unless they really didn't contact Ford the first time...

Anyway, they called me back and said that Ford had them check some grounding points, but they all checked ok. When they called Ford back with that info they then told the dealer that the are aware of the issue and it is currently with engineering but that they don't have a solution at this time.

So in the mean time, I'm stuck with 15-16 mpg @ 70 mph, stalling, shuddering, and the inability to merge onto the highway or pass another vehicle.

But at least they acknowledged it right? So why didn't the dealer/Ford tell me this after the first time I had it in, or when they called me to tell me they couldn't find a problem this time either? Do they only do the follow up if you call them on it? How is it that the computer doesn't capture any codes with the CEL flashing and the truck vibrating so bad it appears to be coming apart?

How long is a customer expected to accept this condition?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator

How long is a customer expected to accept this condition?
You're not expected to deal with it, that's why you advised to find another dealer. You should tell the other dealer the entire history with the truck and current dealer so they have something to go on.

This isn't about cutting your current dealer's throat, it's about satisfying a paying customer.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Find another dealer, the one you've been going to is worthless. If a CEL comes on a code is stored even if the CEL goes back out. Heck, soft codes are stored all the time even the the CEL doesn't come on. As far as the truck goes, get it fixed by a compentent dealer and it will hopefully serve you well for years to come. Going to a dealer that doesn't have a clue only makes the situation worse and it's not the fault of the truck or engine. Right now I have 7,500 miles on my Ecoboost and have been very happy with it, others that have rode in it and spent some time with me have all been impressed with the mileage, power and overall quality of the truck. Between mine and another one at the office, we have a combined 10k miles of trouble free operation and have both been very happy with them just to let you know so you can have some hope of seeing what most owners are reporting. If hope you can get yours figured out so you can enjoy your new purchace and quit taking flac from your wife, lol.

Quick Reply: Another Ecoboost failure story