EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Another Ecoboost failure story

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat-Masterson
Ford is re-investigating the concern on the Eco-Boost and the current repair with the deflector plate. This has just reopened for Ford to look at
so it usually takes about 90 days for Ford to investigate.

Got this from corporate ford today since I just did with a trip and its worst then ever and this is after the fix was done Plate, cat and update.

Plus they want me to go to the dealer and have them go hotline with ford engineers

I would suggest everyone with this problem open a claim with ford corporate

I wonder how many people have this problem and don't know it because with many including mine you need to put 200 miles on before it starts on a trip.
I spoke with a Ford engineer and it seems like some dealers were adding the fix for intercooler but not doing a PCM software update . . . The software update is at least if not more important than the intercooler upper shield.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss9F100
I just looked and no further fix yet as you say. Since I own a Eco I will be watching for the latest TSB.
Just this last week they reopened it since the fix was a failure all of it deflector, Cat and reprogram.

What I have a problem with is since they reopened it they do a investigation as to why it was a failure, and that takes 90 days then work on a new fix if they can find one. so we are looking at least 3 months before they start on looking for a new fix.

with lemon laws they have like 10 days to fix it once served don't see how they can do that when they have no ideal.

this will be my last resort Ford seems to be trying to work with me

Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat-Masterson
Just this last week they reopened it since the fix was a failure all of it deflector, Cat and reprogram.

What I have a problem with is since they reopened it they do a investigation as to why it was a failure, and that takes 90 days then work on a new fix if they can find one. so we are looking at least 3 months before they start on looking for a new fix.

with lemon laws they have like 10 days to fix it once served don't see how they can do that when they have no ideal.

this will be my last resort Ford seems to be trying to work with me
Since Fomoco is on such a huge ecoboost push right now am sure they also want a fix. What I have found is they HATE internet postings about their babies. In this case the ecoboost. A few years back it was the GT500, Ford GT etc. Ford people read postings all the time but they just cannot comment.

The more the word gets out there may be an issue the more ford wants a fix. I have found it takes a LOT to get them into high gear to fix an issue!

I have also found the BEST & FASTEST way to have a particular issue fixed with an ongoing issue like OP is a letter from an Attorney. At this point they "really" know how serious you are and they will put you in another vehicle to make it "go away".

I have also found that ford will take in a lemon and make a "DEAL"with the dealer to buy the person out and not put a LEMON tag on said vehicle.

I personally had fomoco do that to me. They lemoned the vehicle but it never showed on carfax etc. They sold the vehicle as NEW and when sold the miles was less than when I gave it back to ford! They buyer had no clue the car had been sold prior...

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

Originally Posted by Boss9F100
Since Fomoco is on such a huge ecoboost push right now am sure they also want a fix. What I have found is they HATE internet postings about their babies. In this case the ecoboost. A few years back it was the GT500, Ford GT etc. Ford people read postings all the time but they just cannot comment.

The more the word gets out there may be an issue the more ford wants a fix. I have found it takes a LOT to get them into high gear to fix an issue!

I have also found the BEST & FASTEST way to have a particular issue fixed with an ongoing issue like OP is a letter from an Attorney. At this point they "really" know how serious you are and they will put you in another vehicle to make it "go away".

I have also found that ford will take in a lemon and make a "DEAL"with the dealer to buy the person out and not put a LEMON tag on said vehicle.

I personally had fomoco do that to me. They lemoned the vehicle but it never showed on carfax etc. They sold the vehicle as NEW and when sold the miles was less than when I gave it back to ford! They buyer had no clue the car had been sold prior...
Thats what I told Ford Friday when I got done with my 800 mile trip and almost got creamed by a tractor trailer.
I don't want a refund I just want to go into a V8 and even that the ecoboost when running fine is a great motor, I just don't trust it anymore,

Today I was on a 6 line freeway coming back from TN to FL and it was acting up pulling out of rest stops, but then the road got busy and I got stuck behind a 18 wheeler doing 55 in a 70 you would think all I have to do is step on it pull into another lane in with traffic but this truck has got me second guessing pulling anywhere and giving it some gas.

I have been looking at lemon attorneys, but giving ford a chance but their time is running out.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Guys I understand this is a sore point with many of you and I truly can't blame you.

That said, we need to leave the legal discussion out of the threads on FTE. Per the Guidelines:

8. Legal Actions.

You may not use this site to discuss or organize any legal action including, but not limited to, class-actions. FTE does not give legal advice or host legal discussion. If you have any legal questions or concerns, please consult your attorney.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

Corp. Ford

Just let me know

engineering is looking into the concern and looking to have a repair out by the end of September.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend should have her lemon law completed and new 5.0 truck by then.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM
cjstanley
New User
My 2011 EB has just over 50,000 miles on it. In that time I've have the same issue (power loss trying to accelerate in rainy weather) five times. I didn't take it in to the dealer until the third episode. The first "fix" included the PCM update and the intercooler shield. Last week it was the left side cat (wouldn't replace that until they could read a specific code). Yesterday - same problem. Ford doesn't have a fix yet.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
I wonder if Mike's 5-Star programmer would fix this issue? Anyone call him to find out.

Pap

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 PM
LakesideStyle
Freshman User
Still dealing with this issue myself. It just went into Ford for the 7th time today but this time it was a result of my contacting Ford corporate. Supposedly the regional rep is getting involved but they refused to pass along her contact information.

Even though I was in for this over all issue before the warranty was up the corporate supervisor noted that I was out of warranty and my coverage was strictly limited to parts already replaced.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Any updates on this situation? My friend is beginning her lemon law suit.

Pap

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
clydesride
Senior User
I also wonder why the left side cat as well?? is is something to do with the way the water flows to that side first or something?

I am getting worried now too... crap!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
When water gets into a cylinder the plug/ignition/spark fails. {Water does not burn}.
The injection of fuel into the cylinder is still being done and is pumped out the exhaust.
Raw fuel in the cats overheats the first cat and can melt the substrate.
This can restrict exhaust gas flow, cause poor mileage and burn the OX sensors. The temps can get well over 1000 degrees.
Result is poor fuel mileage from the restriction and damaged OX sensor.
When a cat is damaged that bad, putting a Scanner on to look at the Rear OX sensor switching should reveal the condition.
Also a cat code should be present if the cat no longer meets min. oxygen storage limits.
For the driving issue, a Scanner set to Trap the fault will freeze the data and give an indication of what happened.
If water is being pumped into the motor killing ignition on one or more cylinders, then clears out, the code/s for that/those cylinders could be cancelled because it's not logiced a hard fault since the condition is no longer present once it clears.
Good luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
That's a great write up. Is there a TSB explaining this situation?

Pap

Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Likely not.
It's just from a well informed technical point of view.
If water is collecting in the bottom of the cooler, it is being picked up when huge power is called for by the high velocity air stream much the same way oil in the pan is airated and picked up by the crank.
The bottom of the cooler should have a tank space for the condensation to run into below a covered area.
The high airflow is then prevented from picking up the condensate, forcing it into the motor in volume.
On the bottom of the tank area a PCM controlled drain valve could be placed to purge that space during closed throttle times even if it was done by hand switch after the fact.
Pumping water through any motor is dangerous when it's not in a fine mist of limited amounts.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Another Ecoboost failure story