EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Another Ecoboost failure story

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
30coupe
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading this makes me appreciate my '05 FX4 5.4L that is paid for even more. Pulling my 5K travel trailer and with two kayaks on top racks and two bicycles in the bed from Iowa to the U.P. on vacation, my boss (aka wife) was unhappy with the 11+ mpg average. After reading mileage posts in the 3.5EB forums as well as the diesel forums, I'm pretty pleased with my mileage. I was also stuck with using 10% ethanol blend for almost the entire trip, which has cost me 10 to 15% in mileage with every vehicle I've driven. Granted, I can't get 20 mpg out of my 5.4, but it sounds like a lot of the Ecoboost trucks aren't either. Since I rarely use the F150 empty, I'm not sure just what it would get. I usually have a camper or boat or utility trailer in tow. Otherwise my old reliable 2.3L '03 Ranger gets the call...and gets 28-30 mpg all around.

I wish someone could build a full sized truck that would get 20+ mpg on the highway and 14-15 towing (I know some diesels do that, but the fuel cost offsets the mpg).

Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sentiments exactly, 30COUPE. I have an 06 XLT EC 4x4 with 5.4L and 3.55 gears. I tow a 20' enclosed car hauler with my Mustang in it. Towing I get between 9.5 and 10.5 on a consistent basis. My 05 SD PSD got between 10.5 and 11 towing. My friend's 7.3 gets 11-13 mpg towing. I get mid 17's to mid 19's highway without the trailer depending on gasoline quality and speed. Non ethonol gas will get me in the 19's on the interstate keeping the speed at 70 or below. My diesel never gave me much over 17 without the trailer on the highway. The only thing I wish I had on this truck is the new 6 speed transmission. But I'm not willing to spend $35-$40K to have one when the truck I have does a good job for me.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Dodge is boasting that due to their 8 speed transmissions.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:59 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Well, my friend with the 2012 Boost finally got Ford's attention by claiming the Lemon Law. The Ford dealer will change out the 2 cats, and install all new plugs. If this doesn't work, it's on to a new F-150, and I'll bet she gets a 5.0 instead. I was reading the latest Truck Trend and the editors used a 2012 5.0 F-150 to haul to rodeos and were getting up to 23 mpg. That's unreal.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
OK, here's the latest on my friend's 2012 EB failure. Now it seems that Ford has finally recognized that they have a real problem with the increased size of the intercooler. It is so large that it is having big condensation problems, and thus the moisture(water) is being sucked into the turbo and cylinders, fouling plugs, clogging cats, etc. Ford has determined that the "fix" is an intercooler "shield" that takes away 1/2 of the intercooler's ability to cool and, according to Ford, will stop the condensation issue. Apparently this problem is more wide spread than we thought. My question is how much of this problem is going to affect the long term dependability of the engines that are having this issue repeatedly. I'm not thinking I want to stick my neck out past the warranty. Ford should at least increase the warranty on those engines having this problem. Oh yeah, Ford has a back order on the intercooler shields, try and find one.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Power Kid
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My service rep told me the new shield directs more air through the IC. Instead of the shield forcing air behind it, it will direct it through it. Also said a a running change, many trucks already have it from the factory.

BTW, Mine was built March 2011, and a "unrealated note"? coil failure yesterday. @ 32,000 miles

Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Panzerbrumbar
Senior User
I gave up on my 11 ecoboost on Saturday it has been a sore spot with me since I got it, poor mpg, trans issues to many to list, the water issue, turbo pressure dropping off, factory remote start, to name a few. Would still have if it Ford would communicate and acknowledge there are some problems but every service manager says they have never had any problems with the ecoboost. So I said screw it and bought a new Titan. After owning many Ford's and loyal owner for over ten years it was difficult decision. I hope Ford can resolve these issues and give all of you a better experience then I had. But I just wanted to thank everyone in all the forums for all there help and insight in decade plus I have owned ford trucks. I really hope they can make this engine work because it truly is an innovation.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Sorry to hear about your last Ford experience. Service managers love to feed customers a line of BS when they and their techs can't fix a problem. I think a lot of the problem is how Ford and the dealer work or don't work together. Ford has some great product, but how they and their dealers work with customers with issues will prove to be their undoing. Good luck with the Nissan. I probably would have gone with an F150 5.0L for it's capacity, but I understand where you're at on this and your bad feelings toward Ford.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I'll say that Nissan will stand behind it's product. I'd own one in a minute and NOT feel guilty.

Good luck bro, sorry it didn't work.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Panzerbrumbar
Senior User
The funny part is where I work everyone had an f150 except the bookkeeper she has a rav4 I work at small place. Four out of the seven of us got new F150's with in a month. Two ecoboosts and two 5.0 same rear ends in all four. The 5.0's have had far better mpg and none of my issues. Can not get straight answer out of the other ecoboost owner. Miss the f150 already but felt no other option since I get told there is never a problem. Thanks again to everyone in the community and will check from time to time and see if I made a big mistake.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
We certainly hope you didn't make a mistake getting the Titan. But I certainly understand where you're coming from. The dealer breached your trust and that's something you don't regain easily if at all. WE have quite a few Ford dealers in my area within 25 miles of my home. I researched and used 3 of them and ruled them out from receiving my business just because of their inability or unwilliness to resolve warranty issues. But there are 2 in the county south of me that are excellent on service and good to go through the sale process with. They don't play games during the sale to try to extract maximum $ out of the customer and I can usually be done with the whole process in 2 hours or less. And they have always taken care of any issues I have had. I hope your Nissan dealer is the same way. Good luck and keep us informed on how the Titan is doing.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I personally would of gone to Dodge. Since selling my Ford & buying a Dodge I don't know if I will ever go back. The Hemi gets 20 MPG & with a chip get 23 MPG. I know guys that get that mileage all the time in 1/2 ton 4x4s.
The Ford F150 5.0 sounds exciting & I know a guy with one. He loves it. He gets 20 MPG all day long with it right out of the box.
With towing every trailer is different, weight differences, drag, & speed, that you can't expect good mileage. I hear guys telling me they get X mileage towing & guys with the same rig tell me they get Y mileage. So who is right? Back in the day I had a 79 Chevy CK20 350 4 sp, 3:73 gears. Towing 5000# TT it got 10 mpg, empty 13-15 mpg.
Craig

Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

Ford is re-investigating the concern on the Eco-Boost and the current repair with the deflector plate. This has just reopened for Ford to look at
so it usually takes about 90 days for Ford to investigate.

Got this from corporate ford today since I just did with a trip and its worst then ever and this is after the fix was done Plate, cat and update.

Plus they want me to go to the dealer and have them go hotline with ford engineers

I would suggest everyone with this problem open a claim with ford corporate

I wonder how many people have this problem and don't know it because with many including mine you need to put 200 miles on before it starts on a trip.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
My bad, new part (rec'd today) does block air flow at top of the IC. I was told wrong...

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat-Masterson
Ford is re-investigating the concern on the Eco-Boost and the current repair with the deflector plate. This has just reopened for Ford to look at
so it usually takes about 90 days for Ford to investigate.

Got this from corporate ford today since I just did with a trip and its worst then ever and this is after the fix was done Plate, cat and update.

Plus they want me to go to the dealer and have them go hotline with ford engineers

I would suggest everyone with this problem open a claim with ford corporate

I wonder how many people have this problem and don't know it because with many including mine you need to put 200 miles on before it starts on a trip.
I just looked and no further fix yet as you say. Since I own a Eco I will be watching for the latest TSB.

Quick Reply: Another Ecoboost failure story