Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Ford wants your story- interesting approach

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford wants your story- interesting approach

About a month ago I watched a Toyota Truck (can I say that on this forum )video advert. To make it short, Toyota gave a Texas ranch a Toyota Tundra to the ranch for their ranch use. The ranch staff (mostly the foreman) put about 100,000 miles on the truck, doing all sorts of things that have to be done on the ranch. It appeared to be driven hard over unimproved roads or no roads...day in ...day out....pulling stock trailers, etc.

Anyways it did well. The advert showed the truck being driven in rough conditions, then Toyota Techs disassembled the truck and checked all the parts for wear, breakdown, etc. Did fine.

They also interviewed the Ranch Foreman and the owner of the ranch separately.

The foreman was a man of few words but the type of guy who when he did speak, made a lot of sense and talked about reliability, durability and how well the truck stood up.

I have a feeling this might be Ford's approach to advertising too. I have to say when Ford, Chevy, VW or Buick to name a few, use some overly slick presentation from some Hollywood actor to promote their product...I immediately switch the channel. For me it's the credibility factor.

I know Ford, like other truck makers...do use a celebrity to purvey their goods. I don't care for these types of adverts.

Also a lot of celebrities are polarizing personalities..people either like them...or they don't.

I did like the Toyota advert though...listening to a ranch foreman, who has actually used the vehicle he's talking about.

Yes...I know that advertising can be very sophisticated, slick and manipulative...who knows the Foreman may be a famous actor with a disguise and movie makeup to make him look like an old cowhand...from the Rio Grande....but I don't think so.

Or at least, I find it easier to accept the advertising word...whether it has been pre-written for some working man, than some Hollywood actor who has probably never been near a truck, unless you count the lunch truck at the set of an adventure movie.

So if Ford uses the words of...and the actual person of the everyday working man... who actually uses a truck to earn his daily crust...then I'm all for this form of advertising.

What about you

Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I really asgree with ya less. I would rather hear and see stories from real guys like myself, that use the hell out of there trucks, not some famous person that just gets paid to say they like it.

Toyota ain't stupid when they do things the way they do. I probably will never buy a toyota pickup, but theres no denying that they provide great competition to everyone else out there, and their marketing division is no slouch either!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll just say that if ANY vehicle manufacturer wants to GIVE me a vehicle to abuse then provide them with my opinion of it, I'm game. However, Ford makes the only 1/2 ton truck that fits my needs and budget, not to mention in my experience is a very reliable and tough truck to own.

Thats a good marketing idea. Doesn't make me want to buy a Toy tho...

Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNtil Ford gives me a free truck ill keep my stories to myself