Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

JANUARY early thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tcbofade
I get to go to work for a few hours this afternoon. Woot.

Kinda...
I think this is kinda of good news for you...isn't it?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Ches, ....looks a lot like AIT and Sapper school. We did that for four and a half months. (minus the beer and music and with drill sergeants throwing tear gas at us every other hour.)

............good times. If you're serious. Concentrate A LOT on cardio. You'll need all the wind you can get to make it through 12 and 1/2 miles of that. I hope you get to do it. You'll definitely have a life experience you'll talk about for the rest of your life. If I thought I could do it without losing my legs permanently, I'd be right there with you.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Originally Posted by earthquake68
Ches, ....looks a lot like AIT and Sapper school. We did that for four and a half months. (minus the beer and music and with drill sergeants throwing tear gas at us every other hour.)

............good times. If you're serious. Concentrate A LOT on cardio. You'll need all the wind you can get to make it through 12 and 1/2 miles of that. I hope you get to do it. You'll definitely have a life experience you'll talk about for the rest of your life. If I thought I could do it without losing my legs permanently, I'd be right there with you.
Im going to start with just running for now but as it gets closer I could use some of your help for training!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Oh yea that looks like real fun........beer, smoke inhalation, mud, electric wires, team work. I'm game for it, that could be a good local event to do at SMORR?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
How fit do you need to be? Basically, you should be in good physical condition – complete slackers need not apply. At a minimum we recommend that you are running regularly (2+ times a week, working up to 5 miles per run), able to do 15-25 push-ups in a row, able to bang out 6 pull-ups in a row (especially the dudes), and able to swim 50 yards without stopping (although you can skip the water obstacles).
It certainly helps to be a strong runner, and like we said you should be running regularly as part of your TM training, but a large share of our participants have never run 10 miles straight before. It’s not necessary to be a marathoner or half-marathoner (bor-ing) as your lungs will get a break when you do each obstacle. We mix up the drudgery with belly-crawling, wall-climbing, mud-slogging, ice-water dunking, monkey-bar traversing, huge slip n’ slides, etc.
As we like to say, Tough Mudder is about completing a fearsome challenge and discovering a new sense of accomplishment, not about running your knees into the ground or testing your maximum lung capacity. So while some Mudders are ultra-marathoners and others are super-jacked Rambo clones, most are regular people who take care of themselves and are looking for a true all around challenge, a super fun day with friends, and a goal on the calendar that will force them to step up their workouts.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Ok Ches for real, are you interested in attending the TM at Bricks in Sept 15/16? A FTE team would be bad ***, but Alan (for his physical well being) could volunteer and be a side liner and still be with us? I am only looking out for YOU or we will carry you thru this if need be. Its not a race it a group challenge.

Hell if I made it thru the Ft Campbell 101st Airborne Air Assault 10 day course. 4/6/12 mile run with 40lb ruck and rappelling off a 40 ft tower and a 90 ft hovering helicopter, I can do this.

I would have to lock in my back in the USA schedule as far as work goes, I think I can manage it. 8 months to get with it training wise, while I am over there?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Rat77
Senior User
Tough mudder looks like a blast. The dangling live wires is crazy. I'll have to step up my work out. I've lost about 100lbs in 2011. Still would like to drop another 35lbs. One of my fitness goals is to do century (100miles on bicycle) and at least a 10k run.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 AM
pintoches
Postmaster
I have 4 facebook friends on board too! I think it will be fun! I don't plain to win just hope to finish!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,149 Likes on 1,686 Posts
Good Tuesday Morning Enthusiasts.....-10*F up here now, G

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
pintoches
Postmaster
17* here! just went and started the car! 1st time I've let it warm up this year! going to load the coffee cup then I'm off too work! only got 4 hour shift today! Might head over to the gym after work!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Originally Posted by zhilton
I think this is kinda of good news for you...isn't it?
Eh. split.

I'm still working the same part time job that I was when I got laid off from my full time job.

Gorgeous weather KILLS my weekends tho. I worked TWO extra shifts this weekend, and STILL didn't make what I normally do.

...I'm getting a bit frustrated...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
45 up here this morning...

Good morning boys and girls!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Good morning all. Happy New Year too. I was off work for five days and all I got done was body work and primer a 95 Sentra. I was too sick to accomplish much more. At least I pretty much beat the cold and flu in time to get back to work at my day job.

Ches, sorry to read about you and her but that opens up plenty other options and training time.

Alan, yer a rawkstahr? Don't you love the challenge of finding and fixing others well intentioned, poorly executed attempts at repairs?

Pat, glad to see you made it safe and sound.

Rich, We looking at March as when you're home again?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I think my back could take it if I was careful. If I can get my arm fixed and healed by then, I'm all over it. Ches, now that I read what they suggest you do, work on your forearms and grip as well. I have a simple exorcise that will kill your fore arms, but improve grip strength like crazy. Army PT test says you have to do a bare minimum of 42 push ups and 56 sit ups in two minutes. Shoot for that as a base line to check your progress. Also run two miles in less than 15 minutes. If you can do that, when you slow your pace down to an 8 minute mile, you should be able to run forever like that.

For the forearm exorcise, take an 8 pound weight and tie a 1/4" clothes line through the center of it. Leave about 4 feet of rope and tie the other end to a broom handle about one foot (12") long. You'll have a broom handle tied to a weight with four feet of rope between them.

Now, ....stand up straight and hold the broom handle straight out in front of you with your elbows locked. Now hand over hand, turn the broom handle so the rope wraps around the broom handle and keep going until the weight touches the broom handle. Don't take either hand off the broom handle the whole way up or down. When going down, control it and go slowly, don't just let it unravel. Sound easy? Give it try. Just don't do it before you go to work or drive because you won't be able to use your hands for a while the first few times you do it.

Start upping your protein intake after you work out. You build muscle as you rest, not as you're working out. As you work out, you're ripping and tearing muscles. You need lots of protein to "fill in the gaps" as your muscles heal. This is how muscles grow.

The best shape I was ever in was when I was in Iraq in '07 I did 250-300 push ups every night and about 250-300 sit ups. I ran at least 3 miles every day. You don't need to be like that, but I'd say Army's bare minimum standards are a good base line to shoot for.

Quick Reply: JANUARY early thread!