1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

mounting a snow plow on a 54'

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting a snow plow on a 54'

a few of you here use your trucks plowing ,and I have just found a front mount style plow for my 54 M-H ..is there anything I should watch for when mounting it ?does the frame need to be reinforced ?..is any part designed to fail to protect the truck in a curb-hit or other impact ?I see newer plows hav foot on them to give clearance off the road ..should I add this to the set-up ??.I am not going out to make money ..i clear our street and my mom's driveway when we get snow ..so it's not a big unit ..any advice ?? suggestions ?? warning's ??thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Living out here in the desert I have no clue about snow plows. But I'd love tos ee pics of your truck when you get it all set up and working.
I think it will pretty cool

Good luck
Bobby

Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If a 2010 is strong enough anything built in 1954 should be just fine.
PS dont ram to hard.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 AM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most plows are hinged to fold down if you hit something like a curb. That's why they have those big coil springs on them. There are a few that are spring loaded so that just the cutting edge folds back in a hard hit. All plows come with shoes that hold them up from the road, most plow men remove them so that they get a good scrape to the pavement. That's why you'll see a lot of well used plows that have crooked cutting edges from all that use.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
for what its worth here is my advice. do NOT mount a plow on the front of your 54 F350 MH AWD. do you know anyone else that has this truck? sell me your truck and buy a pos chivy plow truck. i will trade you a pos plow truck for your MH if you want to push snow. no need to worry about the cost of a plow or how to mount it, whats the cost of your t-case or front axle? whats the price for a twisted frame? thats the question you should ask yourself. but thats my 2 cents.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Ken - I hauled an F-3 M-H home once that had been used to plow. The front frame had been bent, fractured, and ranch welded. And the transfer case had been grenaded and replaced with a Jeep or some other donor case. I've held on to the chassis thinking I can fix the frame abuse, and hopefully find a correct transfer case. Knowing what you went through to find your replacement front axle shafts, I wouldn't push my luck if I was you. Stu

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Junkman of Delaware
Junior User
Don't Do It!

Thundersnow is right. Why risk a classic truck when there's plenty of later-model 4x4s that are better set up for plowing? I grew up in Massachusetts and we all knew that plowing with a truck ruined it, no matter how "easy" you were on it. Save your sweetheart, kill a Chebby.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Well If you do mount it on there, id love to see you try to steer it!!! hahahaha I have actually toyed with the idea of putting a plow on my f600, but steering is keeping me from doing it!!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Tim's got a pretty kick @3S Plow truck if you ask me. but he gets lots of snow. I guess I didn't realize the Island got much in the way of snow?

Yes plow trucks get pretty beat up no matter, one thing I could never quite understand is people putting plows on front of the little Willey's and Ford army jeeps. I can't imagine they were all that great at pushing any snow being so short and really not very heavy. plus the salt has eaten them all up.

on a side note my Stepdad had a 56 F100 when I was a kid in the Black Hills, we lived about 10 miles or so past the last county snow removal/school bus turnaround up in a little cabin (part of an old snowmobile lodge.) and he mounted a huge V-nose plow on his 56 and would plow his way out in the morning and plow on the way home as needed. I was to young to remember how he lowered it or raised it but this was a working truck for sure! he would also plow off the little pond up there for ice skating on etc. Wish I had a picture.

yep 2 wheel drive truck- you don't need 4x4 if you can drive like a bat out of hell! just keep going-never slow down...

Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Up here I've seen snow plows mounted on almost every kind of vehicle.....including 2wd trucks. So it is possible.....
Would likely be hard to steer though, as said. Around here guys keep an old beater truck just for plowing, since they take a lot of abuse. I have an old Farmall tractor to plow with...

Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
This is what i do so the advise, an 8ft Fisher will do fine on an F5 for
your needs they are all around, of course you will have to face the
pulley & pump mounting problems. The fastest way is to go electo/hydraulic
providing you have 12Vt neg ground. Dont worry about power steering.
Only warning is, dont be an animal, thats the enemy. My route takes
5hrs usually has to be done twice. I soak underneaths with diesel fuel.
Years ago got rid of the heaters and I put 1973-79 heater boxes that
give wicked defrosters. My trucks are hired town trucks, so we have a
total of 12 and 3 pickups. What I do is before snow season I take a
ride of my route checking any changes > big threat, manholes new
curbings, etc. General highway plowing speed around 15-18MPH anything
more you get it right over the windshield and everybody knows that
1953 to 56 wipers totally s**k. No snow yet , our biggest problem is
no fuel nobodys open after midnight. look in my garage for the one
with the electric fisher plow works slick.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
OK .one more dumb idea in the fire ..I guess the snow plow can be yard art ..the way it has been raining here I won't get to play with it much anyhow ..but it would scare the crap out anyone seeing the old girl loaded with a blade out front !! it was a great Idea ..well at least I thought it was ..thank's for the warnings ...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Yes plow trucks get pretty beat up no matter, one thing I could never quite understand is people putting plows on front of the little Willey's and Ford army jeeps. I can't imagine they were all that great at pushing any snow being so short and really not very heavy. plus the salt has eaten them all up.
At one time around here you could legally use a short wheel base vehicle to plow side walks, full sized trucks were illegal. Also, the small little trucks like Jeeps, Broncos and Scouts were good for plowing small parking lots like gas stations. I think almost half the gas stations around had these types of trucks for plowing, parts chasing and roadside service calls.

When I was a kid my dad rigged up a plow on the truck the eventually became my F-2. I'm pretty sure the plow predated the truck, I think it must have come off a Model AA truck. It had a X cross frame and the plow blade had a semi circle braket that you used to change the angle of the blade. You set it at the angle you want and then inserted a pin to fix it. The back of the X frame had two doughnuts. There was a pipe welded to the bottom of the front bumper and you'd line the doughnuts on either side of the pipe, insert a smaller, longer pipe inside and used the pipe to pivot the plow up and down. At the front left corner of the X frame there was double piece of angle iron aobut 6-7 high with a loop at the top. There was a rope tied through the loop and strung through the driver's door, over the top hinge. You raised and lowered the plow by pulling the rope and slamming the door on it to keep the plow up. Open the door and the plow would drop. I remember him plowing his gas station parking lot and our home driveway with this rig.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
I was searching google this morning and ran across this. Thought it was fitting for this thread.

Maybe it should go in the oddball truck thread.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
wow ! that's neet ..bigger then my truck prettyer (?) too!..we get 3 inches of snow and the city shut's down right now the rain is so heavy you can't see the end of the street ...and that's only a few hundred feet ..I amazes me how much experiance is here ,practical and knowagable that you all share without your help i would have done a lot of damage to my truck or just ruined it I may not agree with everything you say or share ..but it does stick ,,I do listen ..an I do thank you all for all your help

Quick Reply: mounting a snow plow on a 54'