6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 F-250 - 6.4 -Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
RetiredBadge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F-250 - 6.4 -Fuel Problem

Hey guys I need some help.

Have 2010 F-250 6.4 with roughly 24,000 miles.

Driving down the road and it just quits. It is towed to the Ford dealer ship and they say it is a fuel problem and it will cost $8,000.00.

I have the regular warranty and the extended warranty. Ford will not honor the problem. They say it is not covered - there is an however.

I have a writer on my insurance policy that covers "non collision" and they will cover it.

The problem is what causes this fuel problem?

Why is it not covered by warranty?

What do I do to keep it from happening again?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
sounds like you got some bad fuel and ended up with some water.

Water in the fuel is a service station problem. Did you just fill up? got the reciept. Get some of the fuel they drained off and test it.

So possible to turn in a claim with the service station.

Yes your auto insurance policy should cover it, most will as long as you have full coverage.

You are going to need more information from Ford though as to what is the exact issue and why they won't cover it.

Also did you change your fuel filters at 10K intervals and drain the fuel/water separator monthly? Provide that info to them?

How about getting some more detailed info and then we can go from there.

You could also try and call ford customer service and see if they can find out the info and if they will at least reduce the cost or help some.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 AM
RetiredBadge
New User
Thank you. I will try to ge more information?

Would this be true for a F-250 6.0 diesel?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredBadge
Thank you. I will try to ge more information?

Would this be true for a F-250 6.0 diesel?
I agree with Scott, it sounds like you got bad fuel. What did they say was the reason that Ford wouldn't cover the warranty?

And the 6.0L uses a completely different fuel system, and a large part of that uses high pressure oil instead of fuel. If you had an injector problem that wasn't stiction or another problem on the high pressure oil side it could be blamed on bad fuel.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
........or another problem on the high pressure oil side it could be blamed on bad fuel.
not sure I understand the last part?

To the original poster:
If your fuel filters have never been changed since truck was new then the technician will know as the filters are stamped FF for 'first fit' from the factory.

Check this link for better understanding of what the technician is looking at to determine if water has caused failure:
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/techni...el_Job_Aid.pdf

Sorry for your troubles, but thanks for sharing just the same. Awareness of concerns and troubles will surely help others avoid your situation in the future.

Bob

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retired Badge
Hey guys I need some help.

Have 2010 F-250 6.4 with roughly 24,000 miles.

Driving down the road and it just quits. It is towed to the Ford dealer ship and they say it is a fuel problem and it will cost $8,000.00.

I have the regular warranty and the extended warranty. Ford will not honor the problem. They say it is not covered - there is an however.

I have a writer on my insurance policy that covers "non collision" and they will cover it.

The problem is what causes this fuel problem?

Why is it not covered by warranty?

What do I do to keep it from happening again?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Did you ever see a WIF (water in fuel) light come on in the instrument panel?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
RetiredBadge
New User
The WIF never came on. Unfortunately I am dealing with a dealer ship away from home. It is LANGDALE FORD in Valdosta, GA.

Langdale Ford will only say that it is the "complete fuel" system! They are the last place I would ever want to be.

The auto policy is covering the damage with a $100.00 deductible thank the Lord!!! They are refusing to cover the rental car.

Ford will not even cover the rental car as a gesture. After a regular warranty and their Gold Warranty coverage they will do nothing. I think I am go to GM!

Edit:
All maintenance work as been performed and documented. The fuel filters, oil filter, tires rotated, etc. . . I am a stickler about maintenance.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
What about the fuel? Do you have receipt for recent fill up?
I think thats a load of horse**** they wont cover it, wtf is the point of warranty then?

Stories like these are all the more reason Im glad I deleted all my emissions crap and "voided" my "warranty".

Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 AM
RetiredBadge
New User
First diesel for me guys and I have never even thought about the gas receipts. To be honest I never thought if something like this happened I could go back on the fuel station.

Most of the diesel comes from Wal Mart because of the .10 off a gallon.

I have a 2006 6.0L with 80,000 miles. Same thing I am a stickler for the maintenance. I just hope the 2006 does not follow the 2010 record.

I guess I just do not know enough about diesels.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Honestly though, what the he** are we supposed to do? Get a sample from a station before we fill up cause we could get sh***y fuel and be out of pocket an easy 10g for repairs?! That is complete BS!

You do your maintenance, and strictly at that....what else can you do?
It shouldnt be on your shoulders...thats what warranty is for and thats why guys have them so they dont have to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for repairs on a god**** super sensitive fuel system.....

/rant.

Keep your receipts from now on! At least the last 2 or 3.
Good luck to you sir.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The entire fuel system has to be replaced as your hpfp has sent metal throughout.

BTW it could happen to any of us.

I save all my reciepts when traveling and I only fill up at two places at home.

I also have a extended policy thru my insurance that will cover this and much more with a rental.

there will be no denial.

62K and 1800 hours on the clock, so far so good.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
If you purchased fuel through Murphy (Walmart) call and file a claim. They have a pretty good process in handling bad fuel. I'm fortunate enough to be able to fill up at Murphy only and keep ALL receipts, use my Walmart CC as payment and document in a vehicle log book with mileage, engine hours, Etc. If I get WIF, there's no denying where it came from. I keep a copy of their claim form and send one in each time I drain my FWS and there's ANY amount of water in it.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RM2738
If you purchased fuel through Murphy (Walmart) call and file a claim. They have a pretty good process in handling bad fuel. I'm fortunate enough to be able to fill up at Murphy only and keep ALL receipts, use my Walmart CC as payment and document in a vehicle log book with mileage, engine hours, Etc. If I get WIF, there's no denying where it came from. I keep a copy of their claim form and send one in each time I drain my FWS and there's ANY amount of water in it.
just curious why you send in a report to them? do they reimburse you?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by slowmans
just curious why you send in a report to them? do they reimburse you?
Simply documenting that water was in the fuel they provided. They start a claim procedure and that stays open for 30 days. So if the fuel system goes down, they've already got all my info and should prevent delays.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RM2738
Simply documenting that water was in the fuel they provided. They start a claim procedure and that stays open for 30 days. So if the fuel system goes down, they've already got all my info and should prevent delays.

A fuel receipt is a start for possible reimbursement for water contamination, but it's no guaranteed as reported by posters who had this problem. You have to prove the station sold you fuel with water in it, was there other people who had problems from this station? There are many ways for water to find it's way into the fuel, maybe vandalism, a Titan aftermarket fuel tank not properly installed, use of fuel treatments with emulsifiers. There are at least 2 posters on the 6.7 forum who recently lost their complete fuel system and both had Titan fuel tanks. I am not implying that these tanks have a manufacturing defect, but they are known to allow water to enter the fuel IF NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED.

Quick Reply: 2010 F-250 - 6.4 -Fuel Problem