Here's a complete detail about what was done today, Day #1.
Since I can't do the swap at home, I have some space in my grandparents' garage to get it done. I got out there at 9:05 AM this morning to prepare for the Excursion to arrive between 10 and 10:30. I had to put a trailer outside that had been stored inside, and also unload all the tools I brought out. Here's the '05 ready and waiting...
The driver called when he was about a half hour out, which was at 10:20. Since I have a somewhat challenging location, I told the driver I'd meet him up at the highway and lead him in. Here was the drive out to the highway, in the snow:
Backing into the neighbor's driveway. Mine is too narrow to have room to unload this, but we're all connected, so I was able to go right through.
I have help from my grandpa. While the driver pulled the straps off, my grandpa cut the tape/plastic to open the driver's door. Being only like 5'4", he fit in quite easily. One of the many things I brought in the back of the Excursion was a freshly charged air compressor. Since the bead on the back tire wasn't broken, I was able to re-inflate it enough to pick the rim up. We tried to start it, but the batteries were so dead, we didn't even have the slightest lights. So, we cleared out of the way and he put it in neutral:
Well, due to the flat tire, he couldn't steer it enough and it went crooked. Fortunately the brakes worked enough to stop it before it went off, but it did knock the ramps off their mounts.
The driver put the ramps back on and we hooked up to a chain to help persuade it. We got it down safely with no other issues:
The towing company got to go on their way, and according to camera times, they were here for just under 20 minutes. Not bad at all:
Now, we had to change the flat out with the spare. I took the hubcap off and got the spare unwrapped and out of the back while my grandpa went to get the jack:
New batteries in June 2011, but they are DEAD:
Got some other pictures while waiting:
Got the spare put on, ready to roll:
Towed it to the house. Fortunately we never hit, though there was one close call. I was watching closely though, so I hit the gas and got out of the way:
Had a Dept. of Defense sticker for Ford Campbell on the windshield...
Next, I dropped a couple extra batteries in it. Got the one from the '05 and the battery from my trailer:
Got the mud cleaned out from the front. The front valance just fell off once the mud was brushed out
Got the entire windshield cut out and in the trash. Then onto vacuuming up all those little pieces:
Next, I decided to try to start it. I checked all the fluids (except I now see the power steering), and all was good except engine oil. Apparently some leaked out in the rollover, as it wasn't even showing on the dipstick. I added 6 quarts of some 10W-40 we had sitting around the garage and it brought it up to the range. We'll be changing it later anyway. Then, I got myself in there and glow plugged it twice. Cranked but it didn't turn over right away. I got out and went to the other side to check the fuel cutoff switch, which I forgot to do before. It wasn't tripped, so I went and got back in to give it another shot. Two more glow plug cycles and it finally turned over. Didn't stay running long, so I had to crank it again. It stayed running that time. I don't think that was bad considering it has been sitting since the accident on 11/6/2011 and it's ~32 degrees out. Hopefully this works:
******** width="400" height="224" >*********>
This meant I was able to get it in the garage under its own power:
Unlike what I said earlier, we later found the power steering cap partially off and very low. Topped it off with some fluid and started it again. Power steering is much easier now, but there's a lot of air in the system and it's very noisy.
Now I took some more pictures to document it. I've got more, but here's a few. Quite a few were a little blurry too, so I'll have to re-do some of them.
Awesome build! Although I like the Cummins swap idea others have, this one is quite unique. Finding a donor for the price you did made it that much sweeter and easier. Good luck! I'll be watching this one.
BTW, this IS the time to adress upgrades such as uppipes, glowplugs, etc.
91 Mustang GT 5.0L 302, 5 speed, 4.56's, .616 solid roller, Pro Topline heads, etc. 8.09 in the 1/8th 3100lbs
14 Explorer Sport
2014 Race Red FX4 with Eco and Appearance Package
__________________ 2002 Excursion XLT w/ V-10 <---Build thread: It's Big, It's Bad, It's Green! 2012 Challenger R/T - 1st Gear = Tire Smoke, 2nd Gear = Slip 'n Slide! 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe - New Ford QUALITY is such that I bought a Chevy
One thing I forgot to mention is even though it was originally brought in with a clear title (which allowed me to bid on it to start with), when I was given the title today, it was branded as a salvage title with the seller/owner being Farm Bureau Insurance. I might call them about that tomorrow. Not that it really matters to me one way or the other since I won't be rebuilding it, but I'm hoping it won't be a problem to get it in my name.
I suspected something was up when the Autocheck report no longer ran. Good thing I saved a PDF of it early on. I wondered if it had something to do with it being reported at an insurance auction, but now I really know why.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.