Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is! I just thought that y'all would probably enjoy this pic. He's been a car guy all his life. When he got back from the war, he started a service station with his brother. It was in west Detroit. It was in operation from the late '40s through the late '50s, at which time his brother decided to move to Alaska. Here is a pic from 1951. That's him on the left:

They did have gas and carried Gulf for most if not all of the time, but the primary thing they did was car service and sales. I've heard many stories about how he and my grandma never had a new car until the 1965 Mustang that she made him order brand new. He always bought wrecked cars from the junkyard and made one good car out of two wrecks. Sound familiar?

After they closed the service station, he drove a daycab truck for a few years making local deliveries and then went to work at Ford for 25 years.

When I first told him what I bought, he couldn't believe it (in a bad way). He couldn't imagine A) how I could buy the car sight unseen, B) why on earth I would buy a car with 150k), and C) why I would want to tear apart a perfectly good one to do this. He still thinks part C and gives hints about the other two, but he's slowly accepting it. He slept on it that night and the next day, my grandma said it's all he talked about all day. He's so excited to do this (even though he may not agree), it's hard to rein him in sometimes. Fortunately he's learned that we need to bag and tag all the parts, because there are so many, so everything has gone pretty smoothly so far.

Only hiccup was this morning when he called wondering where I was and was ready to drop the coolant and start taking the radiator off. He wasn't a happy camper when I told him I wanted to drive it a little more first.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
awesome thread and i'll be watching and waiting for updates every day! unlike me you seem to get ***** done LOL looking great so far!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,675 Likes on 2,605 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Not to that stage yet. In fact, I don't have a girlfriend right now either. As my dad says, as long as I don't, I may as well have something like trucks to focus on. Still trying to figure out which would be more expensive though!
Girlfriend. It's not even close.....

My wife, sweetheart that she is, would already be voicing her displeasure about "the mess in the garage". And all you've got apart so far is the seats and doors!

Last edited by BassFantasizer; 12-30-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Spelling....
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Here's a short one. After doing all those runs in 4 low and 4 high, I shut it off and started it again right away, just to see how easy it would start after being warmed up. It took a little longer than I thought it would. Perhaps the old fuel?

******** width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2446104000432" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2446104000432" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed>*********>
That's actually a pretty normal startup, sometimes it takes a few turns, but that's normal. You'll know when it's taking too long...

Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 AM
simplyrob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunline Fan, that is such a cool story. Life was so different then, it was a daily struggle for lots of people. Your Grandpa has a vast amount of knowledge to share with you. You are so fortunate that both he and your Grandma are still around. Hanging with Gramps is priceless, enjoy the time because one day you will be telling the story of this event to your grandchildren.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I'm definitely subscribing!

How does the driver side sunvisor with the homelink look? May be interested. Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.

Lock N Load has dibs on the floor console deep cup holder, and I have dibs on the pull-out dash cup holder.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
broncorif
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How does the driver side sunvisor with the homelink look? May be interested. Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.
Quick note:
I found the deep cup holder at the dealer for $15.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM
nyaristo
Senior User
Damn this is such a great thread not just because of the build but just having your grandfather in this build. That's just amazing
Good luck with the build I'll be watching this

Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whew. i'd love to do this swap when the v10 blows up. i always wanted a diesel X.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RACERX7775
whew. i'd love to do this swap when the v10 blows up. i always wanted a diesel X.

That may be a while!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah. I hope so. I have a disease and I always need more power.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Lock N Load has dibs on the floor console deep cup holder, and I have dibs on the pull-out dash cup holder.

Stewart
Darn!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by broncorif
Quick note:
I found the deep cup holder at the dealer for $15.
Thanks for the tip...I'll look into it.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager

It's here, but a little bent. Funny you ask because I just put it in the black one tonight. I was having a problem with that one, where I only got one garage door to program. So after going through all the trouble of swapping the visors, I tried to program the garage doors and still no go. So, the issue lies in my programming methods that obviously don't work. So I'll probably put the other one back on since I have the one door already programmed in there and try to figure out my programming.

Anyway, the main visor bracket cracked in the accident. Also, the rod that the secondary visor is on also bent from the roof crippling.

Contact me by PM for more info if you're interested.

Quick Reply: 7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion