Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Excursion Fleet Manager

Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
It is! I just thought that y'all would probably enjoy this pic. He's been a car guy all his life. When he got back from the war, he started a service station with his brother. It was in west Detroit. It was in operation from the late '40s through the late '50s, at which time his brother decided to move to Alaska. Here is a pic from 1951. That's him on the left:

Click the image to open in full size.

They did have gas and carried Gulf for most if not all of the time, but the primary thing they did was car service and sales. I've heard many stories about how he and my grandma never had a new car until the 1965 Mustang that she made him order brand new. He always bought wrecked cars from the junkyard and made one good car out of two wrecks. Sound familiar?

After they closed the service station, he drove a daycab truck for a few years making local deliveries and then went to work at Ford for 25 years.

When I first told him what I bought, he couldn't believe it (in a bad way). He couldn't imagine A) how I could buy the car sight unseen, B) why on earth I would buy a car with 150k), and C) why I would want to tear apart a perfectly good one to do this. He still thinks part C and gives hints about the other two, but he's slowly accepting it. He slept on it that night and the next day, my grandma said it's all he talked about all day. He's so excited to do this (even though he may not agree), it's hard to rein him in sometimes. Fortunately he's learned that we need to bag and tag all the parts, because there are so many, so everything has gone pretty smoothly so far.

Only hiccup was this morning when he called wondering where I was and was ready to drop the coolant and start taking the radiator off. He wasn't a happy camper when I told him I wanted to drive it a little more first.
Sold- 2002 Excursion Ltd 4x4 V10, UA/HF, 1/30/02, 132k
2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR travel trailer, 3/8/06
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
awesome thread and i'll be watching and waiting for updates every day! unlike me you seem to get ***** done LOL looking great so far!
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Dirty Old Man in training

BassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Not to that stage yet. In fact, I don't have a girlfriend right now either. As my dad says, as long as I don't, I may as well have something like trucks to focus on. Still trying to figure out which would be more expensive though!
Girlfriend. It's not even close.....

My wife, sweetheart that she is, would already be voicing her displeasure about "the mess in the garage". And all you've got apart so far is the seats and doors!

Last edited by BassFantasizer; 12-30-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling....
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Here's a short one. After doing all those runs in 4 low and 4 high, I shut it off and started it again right away, just to see how easy it would start after being warmed up. It took a little longer than I thought it would. Perhaps the old fuel?

******** width="400" height="224" >*********>
That's actually a pretty normal startup, sometimes it takes a few turns, but that's normal. You'll know when it's taking too long...
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Junior User

simplyrob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sunline Fan, that is such a cool story. Life was so different then, it was a daily struggle for lots of people. Your Grandpa has a vast amount of knowledge to share with you. You are so fortunate that both he and your Grandma are still around. Hanging with Gramps is priceless, enjoy the time because one day you will be telling the story of this event to your grandchildren.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
I'm definitely subscribing!

How does the driver side sunvisor with the homelink look? May be interested. Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion View Post
Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.

Lock N Load has dibs on the floor console deep cup holder, and I have dibs on the pull-out dash cup holder.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Senior User

broncorif is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

How does the driver side sunvisor with the homelink look? May be interested. Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.
Quick note:
I found the deep cup holder at the dealer for $15.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Senior User

nyaristo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Damn this is such a great thread not just because of the build but just having your grandfather in this build. That's just amazing
Good luck with the build I'll be watching this
Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM
PROFESSIONAL KNOW-IT-ALL

RACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to behold
whew. i'd love to do this swap when the v10 blows up. i always wanted a diesel X.
01 EXCURSION LIMITED, 4X4, V10, 6.5" LIFT WITH TRACTION BARS, 325/60/22 (37") BFG AT's ON BLACK/POLISHED WHEELS, 07 SUPER DUTY FRONT END, REAL BILLET TOW HOOKS, DOOR HANDLES, AND FUEL DOOR, 6 TV'S, CUSTOM STEREO, CUSTOM BUILT 500 AMP ALTERNATOR AND FIVE GEL CELL BATTERIES, CERVINI 3" COWL INDUCTION HOOD, CUSTOM MADE HID PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS AND 55 WATT HID FOG LIGHTS, CUSTOM TWO-TONE PAINTJOB
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERX7775 View Post
whew. i'd love to do this swap when the v10 blows up. i always wanted a diesel X.

That may be a while!
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 270 amp, Blue spring, much more...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
"I bought a 6.0 PSD and I'm not afraid"
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM
PROFESSIONAL KNOW-IT-ALL

RACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to beholdRACERX7775 is a splendid one to behold
yeah. I hope so. I have a disease and I always need more power.
01 EXCURSION LIMITED, 4X4, V10, 6.5" LIFT WITH TRACTION BARS, 325/60/22 (37") BFG AT's ON BLACK/POLISHED WHEELS, 07 SUPER DUTY FRONT END, REAL BILLET TOW HOOKS, DOOR HANDLES, AND FUEL DOOR, 6 TV'S, CUSTOM STEREO, CUSTOM BUILT 500 AMP ALTERNATOR AND FIVE GEL CELL BATTERIES, CERVINI 3" COWL INDUCTION HOOD, CUSTOM MADE HID PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS AND 55 WATT HID FOG LIGHTS, CUSTOM TWO-TONE PAINTJOB
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Lock N Load has dibs on the floor console deep cup holder, and I have dibs on the pull-out dash cup holder.

Stewart
Darn!

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorif View Post
Quick note:
I found the deep cup holder at the dealer for $15.
Thanks for the tip...I'll look into it.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Excursion Fleet Manager

Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
Quote:

It's here, but a little bent. Funny you ask because I just put it in the black one tonight. I was having a problem with that one, where I only got one garage door to program. So after going through all the trouble of swapping the visors, I tried to program the garage doors and still no go. So, the issue lies in my programming methods that obviously don't work. So I'll probably put the other one back on since I have the one door already programmed in there and try to figure out my programming.

Anyway, the main visor bracket cracked in the accident. Also, the rod that the secondary visor is on also bent from the roof crippling.

Contact me by PM for more info if you're interested.
Sold- 2002 Excursion Ltd 4x4 V10, UA/HF, 1/30/02, 132k
2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR travel trailer, 3/8/06
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 PM