Sponsored by:

7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
809taino
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
I do have a question for all you 7.3 guys. If you watch the videos, there's a noise when I first turn the key on and continues when it's running. I'm not sure what it is, but it's annoying. It seems to be coming from the lower dash area. It's both in the startup video and again in the walk-around when I stick the camera inside the front door.

Here's the kicker, whether in park, drive, or reverse (and I assume any other gear), whenever I step on the brake some (enough that like the brake lights come on, so a little bit of pressure), the noise goes away.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon

******** width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2435769582078" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2435769582078" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed>*********>
Wanted to refresh the post for you..

Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 809taino
I noticed that sound last night too. I was thinking you already knew what it was. It sounds from the video like the fan blade is hitting something... Hope is not major. Have you popped the hood and checked with a flash light?
lol, the hood is completely off now! I haven't checked closely, no, but nothing major stood out to me. I checked the belt over and didn't see anything around it hitting something.

I should have mentioned too, the fan/AC system was off during this. I did turn it on after it was started just to see if it worked, and it did, but the noise was no different.

The noise really isn't noticeable outside, just inside.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
809taino
Elder User
lol, the hood is completely off now! I haven't checked closely, no, but nothing major stood out to me. I checked the belt over and didn't see anything around it hitting something.

I should have mentioned too, the fan/AC system was off during this. I did turn it on after it was started just to see if it worked, and it did, but the noise was no different.

The noise really isn't noticeable outside, just inside.
God i don't wanna jinks it but it sounds like a rod. Sounds like it's coming from a piston also... I hope im wrong. You have a stethoscope?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM
809taino
Elder User
I do have a question for all you 7.3 guys. If you watch the videos, there's a noise when I first turn the key on and continues when it's running. I'm not sure what it is, but it's annoying. It seems to be coming from the lower dash area. It's both in the startup video and again in the walk-around when I stick the camera inside the front door.

Here's the kicker, whether in park, drive, or reverse (and I assume any other gear), whenever I step on the brake some (enough that like the brake lights come on, so a little bit of pressure), the noise goes away.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
******** width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2435769582078" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2435769582078" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed>*********>

Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by 809taino
God i don't wanna jinks it but it sounds like a rod. Sounds like it's coming from a piston also... I hope im wrong. You have a stethoscope?
My dad just got himself a scope thing for Christmas. I think it was from Costco. It records video too. So as soon as we're down that far, I'll take video of each cylinder and post it for y'all to enjoy.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like the vacuum pump to me.

Diesel engine operate without creating a vacuum, unlike gassers, so there is a vacuum pump and canister on the passenger side. The vacuum is used to operate the climate controls and 4x4 hubs.

Stewart

Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure what the sound is. Definitely not a "normal" 7.3 sound. I believe I read you dumped some 10W 40 oil in it. Was it diesel spec? Not sure if it matters just idling around but your injectors fire from oil pressure.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^ X2 vacuum pump.

This also serves as my subscribing post

Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Thanks guys! Is this a rebuildable part or just something to replace?

I've been toying with the idea of just replacing a lot of these components anyway, depending on how much I can sell of other parts and sell for scrap. You know, A/C compressor, power steering pump, vacuum pump, etc. Especially how noisy the power steering pump was and now this, it may be worth it. I wouldn't do the alternator though, because it literally looks new. Probably a month old or less. Pulley is still gold and shiny and the rest of the housing is a shiny silver and not corroded.

My grandpa dumped the A/C system last night, so I'll have to be careful when I do further testing to not have the A/C come on.

I'll give an update from tonight's work in a few.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Here's a bit of an update from today. I didn't get out there until 7:00 PM and left just after 11. Not much time, but I got a good amount of stuff done.

First, I started cleaning up the garage. Yesterday was so crazy, and since we were out in the driveway for most of it running back and forth for tools, the bench was a mess. So I started cleaning that up, which included finishing the car dollies. We've had them for a few years, but when we first got them, I installed the caster bolts with the head up so the threads didn't stick up and potentially hurt the tire. Well, with weight on them, the casters flex enough where it hits the bolts and you just can't turn it. My grandpa flipped two of them yesterday, so I did the rest tonight. If you noticed in yesterday's pics, we got the back ones under, but not the front.

After cleaning up, I started on the interior but quickly stopped. I decided, dealing with the doors on in limited space would be difficult, so I should prepare to take them off. I disassembled both passenger doors in that I took the panels off, took all the seals off, took the side mirror off, took the gray plastic wrap off, took the speakers out, etc. I had lots of vacuuming to do still to get all the glass out. The bottoms of the doors are just full, as was the adhesive to the gray stuff where it wasn't stuck to metal. I still have to get the door handles off, window and lock motors out, the rest of the bumpers and stops, and hopefully the cladding too. All cladding is fine. It's really a shame this thing rolled because the doors are very nice- almost rust free. I haven't looked real close yet, but so far the only rust I found was on the front edge of the back door on the outer lower window seal. And it wasn't bad, the paint was just flaking off and it was just starting to get rusty there. If someone wanted to piece in a new lower door skin, this would be the one to do it with, if it's even possible. The passenger side doors are basically perfect from the bottom of the window down. No door dings, dents, nothing. The driver's door took the direct blow from the mailbox, so it isn't so nice now.

After getting the doors do that point, I started to unbolt them. Turns out the bolts are a 13mm, and 1/2" won't work. Only found one 13mm socket, of course it happens to be 1/4" drive, so it really didn't work. I found a 3/8 to 1/4" reducer, so I used that and got three of the four broken loose. I couldn't break that fourth one loose, so I need to take out a bigger 13mm one. I reluctantly attempted to stick the 1/4" drive one and reducer on the battery impact, and it even wouldn't break it loose. Have to put it on the breaker bar when I get the bigger socket.

After that, I started cleaning the seats. I forgot the brush I have at home that cleans the seats really well, so I used what I had there. It isn't as good, but definitely better than it was. Since we put quite a few parts in the back seat yesterday, I only got the right section cleaned.

Once that was done, I started taking off interior trim. I pulled off all the grab handles, hooks, and the front passenger pillar trim. In fact, the pillar trim was fine even though the pillar was bent. It stayed straight for the most part and just bent on the ends, so it didn't hurt the trim. I put a crack in the darn thing trying to get it out though . It isn't broken through all the way, so it certainly could be glued if someone were to have a need for it. After bagging and tagging all the parts, I decided to clean it up a little. The truck sat outside for so long and got so dirty (or it came in dirty too), I figured we'd just get ourselves dirty brushing up against it. I mean, it would be below my standards to leave this thing dirty for very long... Of course it was too wet with the snow and rain yesterday to try to wash it all off with water, so I had to forget that. I just used a little glass cleaner and wiped it all down. Looks much better now, except for the adhesive everywhere from the plastic wrap (which my jacket sticks to when I lean up against it) and the LR wheel. That wheel had an excess amount of dirt in it and it really needed to be brushed off first. All the wheels are in really good shape. One had no corrosion and the other I cleaned just had a tiny tiny bit where a weight was. They don't look 150k. The dirty one looks very very good too, from what I could see.

Tires, on the other hand, are a different story. They are all (well, except the spare) Michelin LTX M/S 285's. They were made in the 7th week of '07 and are really bald. Close to what my Bridgestones were, but worse still. Might explain why it hit the mailbox and went off the road... Based on what I know from Autocheck, they probably have between 60 and 70k on them assuming they were actually bought in 2007.

In cleaning it, I discovered there must have been a mild impact to the right rear at some point recently that wasn't reported on the Autocheck. I found the rear window had some aftermarket part number markings in the glass on the bottom left, there appears to be some paint and/or clearcoat overspray on the tops of the barn doors, there's very little wear on the top of the barn doors from the window, and the RR taillight looks brand new (seal around is dark black vs. faded a little like left).

Well, I think that's about all I did. As a little present to myself for my hard work tonight, I pulled the rear seat lift bar cover out of it. I'll put it in the black one for a little while since I'll actually see it there more in the next few months. It needs a little mild cleaning first though, so it may not go on tomorrow.

Jon

Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Pictures from today:

Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Regarding that noise you keep hearing that changes when you step on the brakes, I think I know exactly what it is: a pinched power steering line.

Here's why I know: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-weekend.html

Check near the steering box and make sure none of the lines are pinched or bent in such a way that it restricts the flow of fluid or is chafing on something.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Don't know how to send a PM but I would love to buy one of your rims (not the spare)

Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a cool project. I will be following your progress.

If you live in a county that requires emissions testing I don't think the diesel will fly in your 2005. Also, If you later decide to move some place that does require it that would be a problem. Not trying to discourage you from doing this just something to think about.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Thanks Tor! I'm getting ready to head out there right now, and I would like to get it started again today to look into it further. I'd personally rather get it fixed in this truck before pulling it all out and scratching our heads wondering if a part was bad or if we did something.

However, my grandpa called this morning to find out why I wasn't up yet and out there, and he wants to pull the engine today . It bothered him that I told him to put it all back together so I could drive it again...

I'm not planning to sell the rims at the moment. I have been thinking about getting either a cheap set of tires for them or let someone pick out tires for the black one when they buy it. I'm planning to keep the new Michelins on the black one to put on the '05.

OK, gotta go...

Quick Reply: 7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion