Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1996 Ford Explorer Fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
aw2walker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Ford Explorer Fuel problem

Hello, everyone, I'm new here and having a unique problem with my truck.

A couple of weeks ago I left an eatery and drove home only to find out the next morning my truck would not start.

Here what I checked so far:
fuel pump - working fine
Shut-off switch - not depressed
Relays and fuses - all good
Fuel rail under hood - gas coming out at good pressure
Start vehicle with Starter fluid from throttle body - cranks up and runs
Used pressure pump with gas in it and started vehicle while pressing gas peddle - injectors kicking in

I have been using third party remote starter to start the truck, and if the truck did not start the first time it would cycle two more times to get the truck start. Could this had cause the problem.

Truck also ran rough with service engine light on and service engine light went out a day an a half before truck would not start.

P.S.
Got one trouble code from auto part store before the truck stopped but there was three or four total. The auto parts store computers went down so the only code problem that printed was "misfire in cylinder 2".

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated. I need to try and fix this myself. I have very little money for repairs; I'm in school.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM
alans77crew
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you actually check the fuel pump with a pressure gauge Just went through this with my wife explorer pump ran but didnt pump

Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
aw2walker
New User
Third fuel pump

Thank you for your reply to my problem, but as the title implies this is my third fuel pump in the truck. This fuel pump is giving off good sound and my post said that there is gas getting to the fuel rail even after the switch is turned off. With the switch on and the pressure release valve push in, gas sprays is very strong.

edit:

your idea does make more sense though, but I don't have the tool you are talking about. Nor, do I understand at this point on how to use it. I have a book and it talks about removing the fuel tank and dissembling the fuel sending unit and using an ohmmeter to check for the proper resistance.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter since replacing the fuel pump? A restricted fuel filter could cause the fuel pump to overheat and burn out prematurely. Just because you get spray at the fuel rail does not mean the pressure is sufficient, hence the question about actually measuring the fuel pressure. Your local auto parts store may have a loan-a-tool program where they would let you borrow the fuel pressure tester at no charge. They will want a credit card from you reserve a "deposit" on the tool that is the value of the tool (around $50) but they will not charge the credit card unless you fail to return the tool in some amount of time.

Given the cylinder #2 misfire code (and more currently unknown codes) it sounds like your truck may be overdue for a tune up. A tune up is considered preventive maintenance. Yeah, it will cost a couple hundred dollars now, but it could save you 2 or 3 times that amount in the long term, especially if you factor in a tow bill or two.

-Rod

Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
aw2walker
New User
Thanks shorod

I have did some more digging and Shorod you maybe on to something here.
I have call someone who said the exact same-thing as you just mentioned. And as I recall when talking with the dealer he said he has never had a problem of this type without it fuel pump related on my model Ford.

I have someone coming with a fuel pressure tester; I will post back later.
Also while talking on the phone with this person he said he remembers someone saying one side of the relay or fuse could be bad.

Have any one else heard this?

I have recheck my fuses and moved the relays around and it started but shut right back off after a few seconds. This is at lease some success for getting close to the problem.

Thank you again for all the help on this and I will keep you updated with ever step in the troubleshooting process.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM
aw2walker
New User
Fuel Regulator

Ok, here's the update. I had my truck towed into a shop and it turns out it is the Fuel Pressure Regulator it was stuck open and metering gas @80 - 90 psi. The engine was over flooded with gas.

Still does not make sense to me because I drove it home the day before it would not start, and during my trouble shoot I use starter fluid to crank the motor and it ran as long as I sprayed.

But this is what the shop is telling me it the fuel pressure regulator $200 fix.

Would have been cheaper if I could have figure it out myself.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
For that price you could have purchased the fuel pressure tester to diagnose it yourself...and the part to have fixed it.

-Rod