Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior User

Rosson03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rosson03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question Coil On Plugs

Anyone has tried any aftermarket Coil On Plugs! any differences........ thanks
2000-XLT-EXCURSION-V10-6.8L-3.73Gears-12.3MPG UltraGauge WORKS AT FORD Louisville, Ky K&NFipkAirIntakeBBKDual65mmTB JetMAF&Spacer&180'Tstat DuralastPlatBatt InfinitySpeak RoyalPOil&Transm&Diff BMDrill&SlottF&R BlurWoodgrain PythonAlarm MichelinXRadialTire FlowMaster50SerieMuff XenonFrontAirDam ChromeFrontLedHalo&TailLight BluLedUnderXLight APCWht&BluCluster HawksSDF&R FitchFuelCat AutoliteXPIridiumSpark XT: 5StarSCTTune CowlInHood BanksYpipe&Head F650Dash ReverseCamera/GPS/DVD
Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM
New User

Bakerboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Funny I am getting ready to do the same thing. I was told to stay away from Accel. There are plenty on eBay. I think I am going with the ones on summit racing. Just not sure if I have a 2 valve or a 4 valve 5.4L.

Summit Racing SUM-850592 - Summit Racing® Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have a 2001 with the 5.4. I changed plugs about 9 months ago and should have change the COP’s also.
I have a horrible mis at about 45-50.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Posting Guru

ComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to behold
I bought the cheap ones off eBay. My guy hasn't put them on yet. The Ex is with my shade tree guy right now, I am having him do a whole bunch of stuff. I figured the cheap eBay COPs were worth a shot, I got a whole set of 10 for $94.

These are the ones I got... eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I figure that they will probably work, the question is will they last? I will let you know how it runs after my guy puts them on.
It can't run any worse than it does now, I just bought it and on the way home it developed the bucking misfire.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Why do you guys (you guys = gas powered Excursion owners) always talk about changing COP's when it isn't necessary?

There are a lot of high powered Lightnings that still run the OEM COP's because there isn't really a cost effective viable alternative, that improves upon the OEM COP.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Posting Guru

ComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to beholdComputerCowboy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Why do you guys (you guys = gas powered Excursion owners) always talk about changing COP's when it isn't necessary?

There are a lot of high powered Lightnings that still run the OEM COP's because there isn't really a cost effective viable alternative, that improves upon the OEM COP.

Stewart
I am doing it because I think at least one of my COPs is bad, it is way cheaper to have my shade tree guy do them all than it is to have the dealer figure out which is bad.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Senior User

Rosson03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rosson03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerboy View Post
Funny I am getting ready to do the same thing. I was told to stay away from Accel. There are plenty on eBay. I think I am going with the ones on summit racing. Just not sure if I have a 2 valve or a 4 valve 5.4L.

Summit Racing SUM-850592 - Summit Racing® Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have a 2001 with the 5.4. I changed plugs about 9 months ago and should have change the COP’s also.
I have a horrible mis at about 45-50.

do u honestly think it would help any improvment other than the bad one of cource. i need 10 baby yeah buddy rolen like a broke empty shot
2000-XLT-EXCURSION-V10-6.8L-3.73Gears-12.3MPG UltraGauge WORKS AT FORD Louisville, Ky K&NFipkAirIntakeBBKDual65mmTB JetMAF&Spacer&180'Tstat DuralastPlatBatt InfinitySpeak RoyalPOil&Transm&Diff BMDrill&SlottF&R BlurWoodgrain PythonAlarm MichelinXRadialTire FlowMaster50SerieMuff XenonFrontAirDam ChromeFrontLedHalo&TailLight BluLedUnderXLight APCWht&BluCluster HawksSDF&R FitchFuelCat AutoliteXPIridiumSpark XT: 5StarSCTTune CowlInHood BanksYpipe&Head F650Dash ReverseCamera/GPS/DVD
Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior User

i was just looking around..... and found this granatelli mpg coil around $285 15% better milage or your money back, or your money back and then on JCWhitney had some "better" granatelli coil that increace horses for over $600 whatttttttttttttttttt
\
what you think that is all about.....
and i think my excusion is a 2v. i heard someone talking about it but how do i know if there right!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 PM
New User

No, but much easier to just change them all then change and drive to figure which one is bad. It’s getting cold in the east and my ex is too tall (lifted) for my garage. Although I have a buddy that could bring it in and do them. I also saw the link from computercowboy and found several for under $100.

I know there are a lot of debates on OEM vs. after market on these, but the savings is so great and I have not seem a major argument on supporting paying 2-3 times more. I get concerned from the days of VCR’s when there were only 4 or 5 manufactures and there were over 20 brands in the market place. Someone is making most of these and putting different labels on them.

Plus some of the ones on eBay are lifetime warranty. Sorry wont be the first time I am wrong.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Virginia Chapter LDR

archtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputation
Unless you are making a forced induction change or running nitrous, I would save the money and run OEM ones. Now, if you want to change em because of the appearance then you wont be hurting anything. You just wont see any HP increases. I run OEM ones on my Challenger and make nearly 1100hp to the wheels.
-Tim - Official Slackmaster #27
Excursion 2008 conversion Build threadl
Click here to Join The VA Chapter!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosson03 View Post
i was just looking around..... and found this granatelli mpg coil around $285 15% better milage or your money back, or your money back and then on JCWhitney had some "better" granatelli coil that increace horses for over $600 whatttttttttttttttttt
\
what you think that is all about.....
and i think my excusion is a 2v. i heard someone talking about it but how do i know if there right!

well OEM vs After market... lol then who makes the best after market. its not like you can go up to granatelli let me see some results on black and white!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
The gas engines in the Excursion are 2 valve Tritons...

I'm going to agree with Stewart as well. If you can get those other COPS for less than Motorcraft COPS, go for it; just don't expect any crazy gains in HP or FE.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Posting Guru

aortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputationaortizexcursion has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosson03 View Post
well OEM vs After market... lol then who makes the best after market. its not like you can go up to granatelli let me see some results on black and white!
There really isn't a "best aftermarket" because the best is OEM.

2000 Excursion 5.4 4X2
Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Senior User

great thanks guys for your alls help!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
New User

Thanks also appreciate the input. Not looking for any great gains, just stopping the mis.
This is why these forums are so great. Always an educational experience.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Posting Guru

ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
You can figure out which COP is bad with a simple code scanner. It won't trigger the CEL, but usually has left a code.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2003, 2v, 30, 54, 54l, code, coil, coils, discount, ebay, f150, ford, plugs, pulsestar, racing, summit, weapon