6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 6.0 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Topdawg360
I'll tell you right now from experience. Either pay the $30 -$40 for the carfax or get a diesel mechanic to look at it. It is worth the money so you dont get screwed by surprise.

This would be good to see or an oasis report

But again gauges would tell you if anythings getting ready to go out for the most part

Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry i didnt say that right. an egr delete isnt required to make it bulletproof, but i sure as hell would do it to mine if i had the money and the chance to. i dnt like the idea of possibly having that happen, even if it was a bulletproof cooler. also, it causes all kinds of backpressure and just seems inefficient to me. to bad it wasnt required. i think if ford couldve been able to, i think they shouldve had a straight up-pipe like with the deletes and ceramic coated the manifold, up-pipes, turbo(inside and out). the coating on the inside of the tuurbo makes it so much harder for soot to cause sticky vanes. then, they shouldve put heat wrap on the everything to the turbo and then the dp. that also helps with lowering the emissions, but they had gov regulations

Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
aah924
Freshman User
No info really on the Oasis report or any info on other work. I know someone at Ford, and they checked all of their info. So, I guess that this part is good news, but in talking with another mechanic at Ford dealership, he says to stay away from any 6.0 at all costs. He says that, yes you can change the head studs, gaskets, etc. but then you may still have to do them again, and he's seen some of them come back in 20-30K miles. Now, I'm really discouraged, because this mechanic has a good reputation in this area. I just dont whether to just forgot about the truck. If thats the case, from what Im hearing, none of the newer ford engines are reliable. So, am I stuck with my 1996 7.3 and cant get a newer F250, without major issues??? I just want tihs truck to drive around on weekends....... What to do??????????

Old 12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
bubba_78363
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My best advice is "go with your gut". Its a crap shoot when buying a vehicle whether it be new or used. If the oasis, carfax and visual inspection all look good to you then by all means pull the trigger. What has been suggested about the scan gauge is spot on, and they can be easily had from your local auto zone. If it's not on the shelf then they can get it the next day or so. I bought my truck about a year and a half ago, and then found this website, but either way I am glad I did it. Just got back from a 2400+ mile trip in it and couldn't have been happier. The respected tech in your area knows exactly what he is talking about, but he also works on them everyday, and see's nothing but the broken/crippled ones. There are a couple of techs that contribute on here that own these trucks, and I don't think their opinions are the same of his. Yes you can do headgaskets and within a few thousand miles need to do them again, but in my opinion it all depends on how you treat the truck, and the pedal under your right foot. I can also attest that these trucks don't like to sit for long. I am in the military and with deployments mine has a tendancy to sit for weeks at a time, and this causes turbo veins to stick. So if you are only using this vehicle on the weekends then by all means after it has warmed up on your Saturday drive then run it, and run it good. Good Luck

Matt

Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Topdawg360
New User
Originally Posted by bubba_78363
My best advice is "go with your gut". Its a crap shoot when buying a vehicle whether it be new or used. If the oasis, carfax and visual inspection all look good to you then by all means pull the trigger. What has been suggested about the scan gauge is spot on, and they can be easily had from your local auto zone. If it's not on the shelf then they can get it the next day or so. I bought my truck about a year and a half ago, and then found this website, but either way I am glad I did it. Just got back from a 2400+ mile trip in it and couldn't have been happier. The respected tech in your area knows exactly what he is talking about, but he also works on them everyday, and see's nothing but the broken/crippled ones. There are a couple of techs that contribute on here that own these trucks, and I don't think their opinions are the same of his. Yes you can do headgaskets and within a few thousand miles need to do them again, but in my opinion it all depends on how you treat the truck, and the pedal under your right foot. I can also attest that these trucks don't like to sit for long. I am in the military and with deployments mine has a tendancy to sit for weeks at a time, and this causes turbo veins to stick. So if you are only using this vehicle on the weekends then by all means after it has warmed up on your Saturday drive then run it, and run it good. Good Luck

Matt

I would second this quote. If its a weekend driver you need to at least drive it around the block at least once during the weekday. Let it sit to long and it gets sluggish until its ready.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Topdawg360
I would second this quote. If its a weekend driver you need to at least drive it around the block at least once during the weekday. Let it sit to long and it gets sluggish until its ready.
I think I disagree with this statement. IMO, the truck would be better off only driving it longer distances or really putting it to work, as opposed to firing it up to go around the block every other day or once a week.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Topdawg360
New User
Originally Posted by w_huisman
I think I disagree with this statement. IMO, the truck would be better off only driving it longer distances or really putting it to work, as opposed to firing it up to go around the block every other day or once a week.
When I said block, I meant "drive". It should be taken on a drive at least once during the weekday. These beasts need to be driven!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Even if u do only drive it once a week, u need to stomp it real good and let the veins get worked through the whole motion

Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Originally Posted by joe_r_dog
Even if u do only drive it once a week, u need to stomp it real good and let the veins get worked through the whole motion
Biting my tongue...... Cant.... Hold..... Back.....

Alright.... Here goes...

I agree to driving it spiritedly from time to time. However, i wouldnt recommend doing that until the oil temp stabilizes above the coolant temp, which usually doesnt happen for 15-20 miles, which is definitely longer than "around the 'block' or 'drive', or whatever you want to call it.

Sorry. I couldnt help myself. Forgive me? ;-)

Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Biting my tongue...... Cant.... Hold..... Back.....

Alright.... Here goes...

I agree to driving it spiritedly from time to time. However, i wouldnt recommend doing that until the oil temp stabilizes above the coolant temp, which usually doesnt happen for 15-20 miles, which is definitely longer than "around the 'block' or 'drive', or whatever you want to call it.

Sorry. I couldnt help myself. Forgive me? ;-)
Well ya, I didn't add that cause i just thought that most people know it's not good to romp onotors when they r cold

Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

The dogs are ganging up on me! Joe Dog and Top Dog.... My apologies. I can be a putz sometimes, but i think clarity is important on these message boards.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Topdawg360
New User
The dogs are ganging up on me! Joe Dog and Top Dog.... My apologies. I can be a putz sometimes, but i think clarity is important on these message boards.

Ok fine. In all actuality your right, we should be clear in our statements and yes 15 miles is a "drive" to me and you should know by the feel the right time to hit it and the wrong time to....... bottom line, we are here to help each other and I'm all for that so dont bite the tongue.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aah924
No info really on the Oasis report or any info on other work. I know someone at Ford, and they checked all of their info. So, I guess that this part is good news, but in talking with another mechanic at Ford dealership, he says to stay away from any 6.0 at all costs. He says that, yes you can change the head studs, gaskets, etc. but then you may still have to do them again, and he's seen some of them come back in 20-30K miles. Now, I'm really discouraged, because this mechanic has a good reputation in this area. I just dont whether to just forgot about the truck. If thats the case, from what Im hearing, none of the newer ford engines are reliable. So, am I stuck with my 1996 7.3 and cant get a newer F250, without major issues??? I just want tihs truck to drive around on weekends....... What to do??????????
Guess you should stick with your old 7.3. Right?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
In all honesty, you could get a 6.0 and flush out the gold coolant, get gauges, do blue spring, get coolant filter and do proper maintenance, at the right times, ur 6.0 should run for a long time and will be more powerful than the 7.3

Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Oh and make sure u fill it with some good elc. But if u turn the power up, there r more things that should be done

Quick Reply: 2005 6.0 Diesel