Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'78 and '79 Power steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
@ earthquake... Just wondering what pump your running?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
It would be interesting to see if Ford ever had a TSB out on this problem. For those not aware of what a TSB is...It stands for Technical Service Bulletin.
Ford actually had a recall on 78/79 steering gearboxes on the F-150 4x4's. My dad's steering had the same problem from just a few days after driving his off the lot (78 F-150 4x4, identical truck to earthquake's, motor, paint and all) back in November of 77.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy96863
@ earthquake... Just wondering what pump your running?
I tried the saginaw pump, but after I figured out what the problem was, I changed back to the stock pump and it's working just fine.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by earthquake68
I tried the saginaw pump, but after I figured out what the problem was, I changed back to the stock pump and it's working just fine.
Where did you get the Saginaw? Did they come stock on some dent sides? Thanks

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
I got it off of an '84 Chevy truck. I made the brackets to put it on my 300 six.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm bringin this back from the dead, but couldn't you just drill and tap the top of the box and use that as a bleeder? Or I guess, not as a bleeder, but to top off the fluid?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im worried now cause I was gonna change to power steering and I want my steering to work!! I have a manual steering box now but a new manual box is twice as much as a power steering box!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I put my 35x16" wide tires on and steering is impossible but my ps fluid is low and my box is groaning. so I'm gonna add fluid and try bleeding it. I know its not gonna be easy steering while stopped but its literally impossible right now!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
I have 33 x 12.50 X15's on my truck and steering with it stopped is barely different than steering with it moving. A good pump and no air in the box will be the cure.

As far as putting a bleeder in, with my luck, I'd drill into something important. It may be a pain to get going, but once it is, it stays working for a LONG time. I'm on 6 months with ZERO issues. (knock on wood) I didn't think it was worth the risk to modify the box. Once it's properly bled, you're done.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 PM
ROKRAWL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. So I read this post a few months ago and tried the method on post 20. Seemed to work fine, however when it cooled down to below freezing the steering pump would whine until it warmed up a bit. No problems steering but the whine would wake up the neighbors. It started warming up and the whine disappeared. A couple weeks ago after a highway trip, I lost power steering for about 15 minutes. Came back and worked fine for about 2 weeks. This past weekend, on another highway trip I lost power steering again. It didn't come back until randomly one afternoon I had power steering for like 5 minutes then lost it again. Tonight, I used both the method mentioned in the first post, followed by the method in post 20. Steering seemed to work fine during initial 5 minutes of test drive then started to act up. no sounds just started to feel hard to steer. I let it sit for about an hour, checked the fluid level and went out for another test drive. I noticed during this ride the power steering seems to do much better at higher rpms. When coasting through a turn it would start to tighten up so I would shift to neutral rev it up and the steering would get looser. Anyone know what might be the problem? I don't want to just start throwing parts at it but I have a feeling something is broken. What do you guys think?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ROKRAWL
Ok. So I read this post a few months ago and tried the method on post 20. Seemed to work fine, however when it cooled down to below freezing the steering pump would whine until it warmed up a bit. No problems steering but the whine would wake up the neighbors. It started warming up and the whine disappeared. A couple weeks ago after a highway trip, I lost power steering for about 15 minutes. Came back and worked fine for about 2 weeks. This past weekend, on another highway trip I lost power steering again. It didn't come back until randomly one afternoon I had power steering for like 5 minutes then lost it again. Tonight, I used both the method mentioned in the first post, followed by the method in post 20. Steering seemed to work fine during initial 5 minutes of test drive then started to act up. no sounds just started to feel hard to steer. I let it sit for about an hour, checked the fluid level and went out for another test drive. I noticed during this ride the power steering seems to do much better at higher rpms. When coasting through a turn it would start to tighten up so I would shift to neutral rev it up and the steering would get looser. Anyone know what might be the problem? I don't want to just start throwing parts at it but I have a feeling something is broken. What do you guys think?
Got a Ford pump? Then read this: http://www.stangerssite.com/HowItWorksFordPump.html

Regardless, it sounds like the pump is going south.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
ROKRAWL
Junior User
Awesome info. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine was the same way and I got fed up with it and installed a Saginaw pump. After I started it with the new pump I instantly had perfect power steering with zero bleeding. Best mod I've done so far!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Andyf150xlt
New User
Im having a problem with mine i have a 79 f150 4x4 and was wheeling and all my fluid blue out the pitman arm seal on the steering box just rebuilt it all new seals and while bleeding it, it blew the new seal could that have been because of air in the system im getting ready to replace the seal again and would like it to work this time. If you have any info please share it thanks.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading this thread, i think i will just keep adding ps fluid....

Quick Reply: '78 and '79 Power steering fix!