6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Passenger Side Coolant Leak - From Where?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It points to the EGR cooler hose that you replaced, according to your first post.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I were you I would get a torque wrench and retorque all your intake manifold bolts, including the egr cooler bolts they should be 8lb-ft no more, after that your removing the intake manifold to find it!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Javo
T-stat area is dry and shows no sign of leakage. Is the oil cooler housing located towards the front of the motor under everything? Isn't that where the EGR coolant hose connects or am I wrong?
the oil cooler is not in front of the engine. but u are getting there. the egr cooler hose connects to the oil cooler. it's a squarish boxy looking thing. since u got everything out, try looking in tat area (oil cooler) where it may possibly develop a leak thru the seals. it's rare, but possible. maybe u jus need a new oil cooler.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
i believe a new oil cooler would come wif all the o-rings and seals, but double-check first. i'm glad ur narrowing it down to tat area.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM
BobbyB
Senior User
Try to check the large o-ring seal under the front of the intake manifold.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Javo
Senior User
Thanks so much guys. I'm pretty discouraged and pissed off at this thing right now. I added some more water and it's definitely coming from the front, top area. This thing has kicked my butt today so I'm calling it a night. This is one of those times you stand back and look at the motor torn apart and think "Wow, I am in some deeeeeep doodoo this time." There's no turning back now huh? lol

My plan for tomorrow is to pull the intake manifold and see if I'm getting the leakage from around the oil cooler. If not then I would think it is very likely the o-ring that BobbyB mentioned - it pretty much HAS to be one of those two!

w_huisman, thanks for the thought but I was able to check that with the turbo and pedestal out - it's good.

Raptor, I'll check the bolts first and if that's all good I guess I get to remove the intake manifold. YEA!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
If you end up pulling the intake, make sure to pick up a new intake manifold gasket set, the victor reinz one comes with all the proper gaskets to seal her up again, there are a lot of videos on YouTube and in the tech folder to prep you for what is in store, just take your time.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Javo
Senior User
Funny, I'm watching some removal videos right now. Looks like about the same complexity as the turbo. I plan on replacing any exposed gaskets, seals or o-rings along the way. Everything will be new. I certainly do NOT want to go through this again because of a seal!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
I'm not so sure that once you do remove the intake that it is going to be 100% evident what is the culprit, just pay close attention to torque values, look in my gallery I have some pics from my oil cooler job I just finished, too bad your aren't close by, I have a nice topside creeper and topside tool tray that makes this job kinda fun

Old 12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Javo
Senior User
Well, I double checked the intake manifold bolts and all seemed good.

Went ahead and pulled the intake manifold and "believe" I have found the problem. The donut o-ring that is located on the front of the intake manifold towards the passenger side is toast! It's really deformed, falling apart and missing a large chunk. I understand the large chunk is very likely from removing the intake manifold, but it's certainly in very bad shape. My intake manifold and down the intake ports show no signs of coolant and are dry besides carbon build up. With that in mind I don't think I'm going to pull the oil cooler.

I know it's a big risk, but everything points to this o-ring:
1. I had coolant dripping from the front and rear on the passenger side of the motor.
2. It was leaking really bad even with the motor off and cold, which leads me to believe that large o-ring was bad.
3. The day before I started this project when I drove my truck home I could hear "bubbling" coming from under the intake manifold on the front of the engine.

I'm going to go power wash my intake manifold and pick up all new gaskets, seals and o-rings for everything that has been removed. Naturally I'm going with factory parts. Hopefully this works and then it starts!

Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
it will, just have faith in the torque values, every part of my being was telling me to go tighter, there was no way 8lb-ft was going to hold the front cover gasket tight, but it held. cover your intake manifold openings too, don't want anything falling in there. Were your deltas on the oil cooler good prior to this? now is a great time to replace that oil cooler if you need you are as deep as you need to be to fix that too. as well as egr delete. also don't forget to place the grounds on the drivers side back onto the intake before you put everything back together, it is a pita to reach if you forget

Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Javo
Senior User
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just gonna take my time and make sure it all goes back together right. Made a huge mental note on the ground. Actually I had to cut it right at the nut because I could not get those two stupid things apart, figured I could do that once it's out. So I just need to replace that little piece on the end and I'm good to go.

Got my intake manifold and turbo pedestal cleaned at the car wash and picked up some brake cleaner for the valley on the motor - it was a mess. Looks good now though.

When the kids go to bed I will try to post some pics as well as part #'s for those who made need it. Ford has some parts kits that have some weird grouping but I finally got everything I needed.

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna start putting 'er back together. Hopefully all will go well. One question though... did you install the egr cooler before installing the manifold or did you just do it in one piece? It seems like it may be easier and have more room to work if you do it in to pieces.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
i deleted mine, but the best method is to assemble it to the intake manifold before installing manifold, also don't forget the gasket that goes on the end of the egr cooler to up pipe, mine fell off behind the intake before i took it out and i might have forgotten it if i was reinstalling it. just make sure you clean that valley real good with the brake cleaner and vacuum up any debris, even the smallest of particles can trash you ipr, and that ipr is all the way in the back on top of the hpop cover under the turbo. good luck, the key for me was just taking my time and double checking even triple checking some things

Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Javo
Senior User
Intake manifold is back in with bolts finger tight. Man, lining up those gaskets is a major pain! In retrospect it may be easier to run the bolts through the manifold and then the gaskets to hold them in place. Down side would be you may damage threads though.

Went down last night and bought a nice new Craftsman torque wrench to use today only to discover it starts at 10ftlbs. So against my better judgement I rented one from Advance thats the needle type and began to install the egr cooler to the intake manifold only to hear "Snap!" Their torque wrench is appearantly inacurate (surprise) and I ended up with a broken egr coolant bolt. God was smiling on me today because it actually backed out of the hole! Went to Ford and was told NO dealership in Denver had my bolt, great.

Ended up going to ACE and got a "temp" so I can try to get as much done today as possible. Ended up having to buy a Harbor Frieght torque wrench becuase nobody either rents or sells a torque wrench that goes down to 8#'s. I'm still amazed at that, I even called some tool stores.

So I'm having a quick bite of lunch and my next thought is I'm going to tighten the manifold bolts and then add water to my system to make sure the original leak is now resolved. If all is good, then I'll drain the water and begin putting it all back together.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Javo
Senior User
Got the bolts tightened and then added water to the system. No leaks! So I got the turbo in place and have my y pipe connected but the other one is giving me fits! I've been messing with it for about an hour and a half and it will not line up! I can get the bottom lined up but then the top is about 1/2" off. I tried lifting it from underneath, prying, it will not go into place. I've sprayed my u bolts with wd-40 underneath where the pipe connects to the cat. My thought is the only way this is going to work is to disconnect the pipe there, attach it to the turbo and then fight with it underneath.

Well, hopefully I can get this wrapped up tomorrow and get my truck running again.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Coolant Leak - From Where?!?!