1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New mirrors (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
New mirrors (pics)

The mirrors that came with my truck weren't original, and they where also off a semi-truck (and they didn't match, one said MACH on it the other was curved, lol), so for Christmas I got a new set.

Though the big ones did have a sorta neat look, they also made a huge, huge blind spot as they where the same height as the window and 6" wide. As they where on the truck I had trimmed them down, they originally went out to the point of being ridiculous.

And by that I mean:

After they where trimmed:

(It's hard to see the blind spot because the whole thing is a mirror, but look through the cab at the other mirror)

So I put some stock ones on and also got a little custom nut for them as well which I think really improves the look:

(yes I know my truck is wicked dirty and in need of a paint job, :P The bolts you see are from the old mirrors, I put them back on till I can weld up the holes, they are not straight, not even a little bit, I'm not sure who put them on but they might have been without their glasses at the time lol)

I quite like the look myself. Like the bed, the mirrors are just one of those things that's very unique and very 50s. I felt like I lost part of that with semi-truck mirrors.

Am I right in thinking that the Mirror Base Grommet just goes on over the whole thing or do I need to wedge it down in there?

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, I don't know about you guys but 2012 is sure going to be exciting!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
I like them!

It looks like you could rotate them around a little bit to ge a bit wider view if necessary.
They definatley clean up the look of the truck some.

I agree, 2012 is going to be a good year.
Bobby

Old 12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I like the mirrors you changed to too! Much better look and doesn't look out of place like the old ones did... Enjoy! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks

I don't know if they can be turned around, I did try because I thought that's how they where supposed to go, but they didn't want to turn that far so I stopped trying once I realized I might break something, lol.

Man I love that 50s style though!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
No, I didn't mean to turn them around. If you look at the pivot on the mirror its a little off center. You can rotate the mirror head so that the majority of the mirror is towards the outside.

My little 65 Falcon has some small round mirrors that are similar, they are mounted on top of the door and are fairly tight to the car. Since the pivots are offcenter I was able to rotate the mirror head a bit and was able to get better site lines behind the car

Bobby

Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Well I had thought they could do that, but I haven't been able to get mine too. (Thats what I had meant about turning them around). It goes about 1-2" then gets really really tight, no matter which way I try. Tight enough I seriously wonder if I'm going to crack the mirror from the amount of torque I'm using. It's what my mirror question was on earlier, but after looking at a lot of pictures it seems thats the way they where supposed to go, unless I'm just way off base with this.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks like there is a small set screw in the shaft that the mirror head is attached to. Maybe you can loosen it and turn the mirror head?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Hmm

My Falcon ones spin around without any problems, in fact they are a little loose and if you close the door to hard you have to reset the mirrors.

Either way, I like the way they look on your truck

Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
I like the look of those mirrors, they suit your truck.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah...Abby's looking really good. She's even smiling in one of the pics you posted . Nice!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Those are definitely an improvement from those full length mirrors,may not be able to see as much but they sure look better. I have the same set-up on my truck,I really think they pop.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:12 PM
seanmconroy
Senior User

those are really nice. Whare did you source those from and were they hard to install

Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Thanks I figure I won't be able to see as much behind me, but I will be able to see a lot more to the sides of me. Those big ones made giant blind spots and where confusing to look at sometimes because they ran the whole length of the window, so you would see the nothing behind you in them and think you where seeing nothing to the sides of you as well because you couldn't see where the mirror ended up top.

I got them from Mid-fifty, they have 2 bolts holding them on, real easy to install. Took more time to get the old ones off and to clear out the body filler someone had put in the passenger side opening. Maybe a 10 minute job.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Very cool mirrors! They have that space age jet look that you see in alot of the 50's styling.

Rob

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Looks great

Quick Reply: New mirrors (pics)