Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD not shifting after engine overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 AM
dieselaholic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD not shifting after engine overhaul

I just took my new old truck out for its maidin voyage after i overhauled the engine and the it ran like a top as far as the engine goes, but it wouldnt shift out of first gear unless you manually did it on the tree. However once it hits OD it stalls out and the motor revs up. Now the first few stop signs i came to and built up speed at it shifted like a dream even in OD but it started happening about 5 miles down the road later.

I did replace the tranny lines going to the cooler and also removed and later put back the cooler on the grill. Could it just have air in lines and throw up codes from that thus putting it in limp mode???

I have already pulled the battery terminal off of the relay of the fender of the truck for about min or two and that did not cure it.

Oh also the coolant level is still fine even though i lost some through this process. I would like to be able to drive it to town to my buddys shop so he can read the codes but untill then im stuck. Any Ideas??????

Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the first thing I would check would be the fuses. Next would be the big plug connector on the pass side of the trans, check that it is clean and tight and that the wires to it are not damaged.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
^ what he said, it seems like the connector got mangled when you re-installed the engine, check that out, retrieve codes also.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I had the same thing happen to mine but it was from some butthole who took the fuse out for me.Guess he thot I was fishin' in his secret spot or somethin' and would get back at me for it.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:31 PM
dieselaholic
Senior User
i just check fuses and all test ok. I never had the wire harnes unplugged from tranny but checked it and noticed all wires going into weatherpack had all the insulation cracked with wire exposed. I took every wire out of the plug and pulled all the hard insulation off and put liquid electrical tape on it, when it dries ill put it back together and see what happens

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
dieselaholic
Senior User
Ok all the wires fixed and put back together and no change.

Where do i go from here?

Fyi, speedo isnt working, brakes are a little soft kinda like vacuum pump isnt working right, other than that everything seems to be working fine.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Not to sounds stupid but, did you make sure the speedo cable is reconnected to the transmission? Either that or there's one the differential.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The E4OD won't shift if it doesn't get the signal from the VSS sensor in the rear Differential.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
we must be talking about the '90 idi truck in your sig.

Originally Posted by dieselaholic
Fyi, speedo isnt working
how is an Electronically controlled 4 speed OverDrive transmission, supposed to know which gear to select, if it's blind to the vehicles speed?
trick question of course,as it can't.as stated above.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 PM
dieselaholic
Senior User
Ummmm. No thats why i mentioned no speed. Yes it is the '90 in the sig. I never disconnected it in the first place either. On a 90 is it on the differential or the tail shaft?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM
dieselaholic
Senior User
Wait a minute why does a transmission need to know my speed to know when to shift? I thought it used pressure to know when to shift. I mean i would hope it wouldnt shift at the same speed if i have 15k behind me.

I may sound like a total idiot but it just doesnt sound right. Not to dobt any of you of course thats why im asking for all of your help!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it's controlled via shift solenoids/electrically. if the PCM doesn't receive the signal from the VSS then it can't know which gear to select.you certainly wouldn't want it to guess either,as it could then send your trans into 1st going 90 mph and blow herself apart.
it has a TPS for sensing the engines load,to adjust it's shift points and converter lockup state.
this is on the 7.3l's IP and should be inspected and or replaced every 50k miles (however it's not the issue at hand.)

Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
On a 90, the speedometer is mechanically driven from a cable.
For a 2wd truck the cable is on the back of the transmission tail shaft housing.
For a 4wd truck the cable comes from the transfer case.

The computer needs an electrical signal to sense the vehicle speed.
As the mechanical speedometer cable spins when the vehicle moves,
a sine wave signal is generated called the VSS signal. This electrical
signal is fed to the computer for transmission control and is also used
for cruise control if you have that.

Here's what the speedometer cable driven gear looks like.
The red arrow points to the out put of the Vehicle Speed Sensor
which should be two wires.

Since you say the speedometer isn't working, the teeth on the drive
or driven gear for the speedometer cable maybe bad or the cable
has snapped.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 AM
dieselaholic
Senior User
Yee Haw, im up and running again. I ended up replacing both the vss and the abs sensor. When i moved the trans i busted the vss by hitting it on the body and the abs sensor has been busted for a long time apparently.

Thanks for all the help. I thought i had a lot more difficult problems from the get go.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:26 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacement battery cables?

This would be for my 92 F150, 351W.

I am looking to replace my battery cables (both pos and neg) from the battery but I am having trouble finding a replacement.

I bought a negative, 42" battery cable. When I got it home the first thing I noticed was that the shorter lead that comes off the connector on the battery is a smaller diameter wire than the original one. I am not sure if using a replacement with the smaller lead will work.

Also, with the positive cable that is on the truck now I noticed the shorter lead coming off of it is the same gauge wire as the main lead but I can't find a replacement that looks like this.

Any advice on what I should do for replacing these? Just really want to make sure I am using the right sized wires so I get the proper current where it needs to go.

Thanks