Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lost all faith in my 99 SD 7.3 for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonch
Keep the faith! You got experience for next time!
Yes, keep the faith. Everthing wears out eventually.
I regularly pull a 13k 5'r all over the country with my e99, and for the most part I have zero worries (I just cursed myself...) Mostly because of what I have learned here, and like Jason said, It's experiance for next time.
The more I learn here about my 7.3 and the more hands on time I get modding / doing perventative maintenance the less stressfull a breakdown becomes. Not to mention less likely...
We're here for you , keep truckin.

EDIT: Listen to Barney ^^^^^ both him and I have encountered a low fuel pressure situation on the road. Get a guage on it to rule it out. Gauges are much cheaper than a tow.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
been there done that. Some of it on that same road. What fuel pressure are you seeing under load? Last spring on my trip west I fought a running/not running issue that progressively worsened til I was finally down outside of Casper Wy. Don't assume pressure is OK. just cause there's flow out of the filter.

Barney
Now that (the pressure under load) I don't know. It would be something to look at though. The first time it happened (on this trip) was on the last, steepest part of Sierra Blanca hill, but the second time was just as I was going downhill into the valley the highway goes into just west of Junction. Cleaning the connectors fixed that eppisode. Back when I had the problems leading to replacing the intank screen and then the fuel pump, it always acted up under load, although when the fuel pump went south, that happened on a rough stretch of (potholed) paved road, the jarring finished it off then. What's the normal pressure ? Can't be a whole lot as the fuel simply fills the bowl then runs over the top into the return line, unless there's a check valve inside the port on the bowl (Haven't looked at that to see)

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Franko72
Yes, keep the faith. Everthing wears out eventually.YEA, YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT, NO WAY TO GET AROUND THAT, UNLESS YOU REPLACE EVERERYTHING AT ONCE, EVEN THEN THE QUALITY OF THE PARTS YOU REPLACE THE FACTORY STUFF WITH BECOMES AN ISSUE
I regularly pull a 13k 5'r all over the country with my e99, and for the most part I have zero worries (I just cursed myself...) YEP, YOU JUST DID. I HOPE YOU HAD A LARGE 12X12 PIECE OF WOOD HANDY WHEN YOU TYPED THIS Mostly because of what I have learned here, and like Jason said, It's experiance for next time.
The more I learn here about my 7.3 and the more hands on time I get modding / doing perventative maintenance the less stressfull a breakdown becomes. Not to mention less likely...
We're here for you , keep truckin.

EDIT: Listen to Barney ^^^^^ both him and I have encountered a low fuel pressure situation on the road. Get a guage on it to rule it out. Gauges are much cheaper than a tow.
I'm all into preventative maintenence, but somehow the things that break out on the road are the things you didn't prepare for. I'm gonna put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what's happening. But the one thing about this truck so far is no matter how bad it's acted up, the last thing I needed was a tow truck. It's always managed to limp it's way home or to a safer place to do a fix at. it's just a big pain in the *** when this **** happens, doesn't make the wife any happier either.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel pressure at idle 55-65PSI. wide open under load, 55-65PSI, shouldn't see much drop.
I, like you, have fixed most everything on the side of the road or in a truck stop parking lot.
one thing you can't fix on the side of the road is a blown HPOP line, ain't no savin that one. If you haven't changed yours, do it now.
good luck with your diagnosis
Barney

Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQTNx...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

Old 12-26-2011, 11:15 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
After!
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHnI...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 PM
CAPTAIN DIESEL
Senior User
Maybe yer ol girl lost faith in you, keep up on maintenace as well as preventive maintenance with known trouble spots ie, hpop, cps, hp earl sensor, hp earl regulator, hp earl hoses, turbo o rings, injector o rings, rocker torque, 50 cent mod,in tank fuel filters, gpr, and ur 7.3 will last 1 million miles

Last edited by CAPTAIN DIESEL; 12-26-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN DIESEL
Maybe yer ol girl lost faith in you, keep up on maintenace as well as preventive maintenance with known trouble spots ie, hpop, cps, hp earl sensor, hp earl regulator, hp earl hoses, turbo o rings, injector o rings, rocker torque, 50 cent mod,in tank fuel filters, gpr, and ur 7.3 will last 1 million miles
Well since I bought it, I've replaced the electric fuel pump, the intank screen, new waterpump, fresh reman turbo, fresh reman HPOP (and last night I found an O ring kit for the leaking HPOP online for $13, luckily I kept the leaker and paid the $150 core to fix the leak later) What's the "50 cent" mod ? And GPR ? And I wondered about "running the overhead" on the rockers and injectors, that's something that used to be done on the big diesels years ago. I do oil changes about every three thousand miles, luckily I get my oil free. But the cost of replacement parts for these engines leads me to wonder if it's worth it in the long run.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baddad457
Don't I know it. Memphis Texas...............know it well. been thru there every trip to the mountains. US 287 is like the "mother road" to me. Been runnin it for 40 years now
Shoot me a PM the next time you run through town, Id love to meet another FTE'er

Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by maverick1701
Shoot me a PM the next time you run through town, Id love to meet another FTE'er
I would, but the way things are looking here, it's going to be at least nearly anther year before we'll get to go back up 287. Wish it weren't so though. Love those sleepy little Texas towns. You can take the boy outta Texas, but never get the Texas outta him (born in Texas City, Texas 53 years ago today)

Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I would, but the way things are looking here, it's going to be at least nearly anther year before we'll get to go back up 287. Wish it weren't so though. Love those sleepy little Texas towns. You can take the boy outta Texas, but never get the Texas outta him (born in Texas City, Texas 53 years ago today)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

...Replaced it with a short piece of fuel hose and a brass Tee located about a half inch above the tank bottom.
Not that this is the source of your woes, but that's pretty far from the bottom of the tank. Standard distance is about 1/8" IIRC.

I had a no-start/crappy power issue last winter. Turned out that the big pre-pump fuel filter I have on the frame rail was catching the precipitate (gel) that drops out of the fuel when it gets cold enough. Since you were running B5, you're more susceptible to gelling issues. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Get some replacement filters and keep 2 in your truck.
2. Replace that pre-pump filter with a fresh one and cut it open and see how clogged it is.
3. Install a regulated return. It will also give you a port to put in a fuel pressure gauge.
4. Find someone with AE (Auto Enginuity) and get some logging done on your truck.

I have a small oil leak at the moment, but other than needing to carry some extra oil, I'd drive to the North Pole via the South Pole route and only worry about who was paying the fuel bill.

With the added electronics of the newer diesels, you won't have much choice but to sit by the side of the road.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I had an extra spin on filter handy for the first eppisode. Made no difference when I put it on. The fuel gellling crossed my mind then as well. When I dumped the fuel out of the one I took off, nothing but fuel came out. No water, no trash. Wasn't until I limped the 50 miles into Van Horn and changed the primary on the engine that it cleared up. But again, that I suspect only fixed it due to my wiggling the sensor connections, based on the fix I performed the second time it happened. And the cost of these filters comes into play here too. The two primary's I bought set me back $90, the spin on's are $20-$30. Needless to say, I'm going to hang onto the ones I replaced as they obviously are still good. What's this AE and logging ? I know it's not the kind of logging I did for ten years back in the 80's.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
There are a few members in La with AE that may be able to give you a hand depending on your location.
I shared a couple meals and couple too many drinks with a few of em,... and they are down right good peoples
Here is AE : Riffraff Diesel: AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
I wouldn't travel without it.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
baddad457
but still had extreme trouble starting the truck in the mornings there (20's and 30's temps)
Well since I bought it, I've replaced the electric fuel pump, the intank screen, new waterpump, fresh reman turbo, fresh reman HPOP (and last night I found an O ring kit for the leaking HPOP online for $13, luckily I kept the leaker and paid the $150 core to fix the leak later) What's the "50 cent" mod ? And GPR ? And I wondered about "running the overhead" on the rockers and injectors, that's something that used to be done on the big diesels years ago. I do oil changes about every three thousand miles, luckily I get my oil free. But the cost of replacement parts for these engines leads me to wonder if it's worth it in the long run.

I am suprised that no one has answered these questions of the GPR and the 50. mod?

Your Glow Plug Relay comes on for about a minute or so to engage your Glow Plugs to heat up the cylinder walls to make it easy to start your truck in 20-30 dregree temps. This needs to work or you will have trouble every time.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...pr-system.html

the 50. mod is used as a retaining piece to keep your underder the valve cover electrical harness from coming unplugged. If it comes loose one or more injectors will not fire. Read this thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...lve-cover.html

Quick Reply: Lost all faith in my 99 SD 7.3 for long trips