Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
How to adjust the steering gear box?

I know I will have to loosen the nut and then use a flathead driver and turn but my steering still feels a little loose even with my new steering shaft. How can I go along and make the steering tighter by adjusting the box? Do I turn the screw left or right or what?!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Post Fiend

devino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputationdevino246 has a superb reputation
After loosening the nut, you'll probably have to put a combo wrench on it so you can turn the bolt with a screwdriver without turning the nut. Hard to describe, you'll figure it out. Turning right will tighten everything up. Do a little at a time, and then turn the wheel lock to lock to make sure it doesn't bind.

Licensed Virginia Safety Inspector
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
I'm cheaper than Devin
Old 12-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Amatuer Restorer

gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.
Make sure it's full of grease. If you can't adjust the slack out easily, it's time to rebuild or replace the box. They don't last forever.

66 Bronco Half Cab, 203ci I6, CI aluminum head and intake, Isky 256/256 cam, Keith Black pistons, Clifford header, Holley 390cfm 4v, 9.7:1 comp, DSII ignition
Old 12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
The adjuster screw is setting the position of the sector shaft in the box, the sector shaft has tapered teeth on it so the backlash between the worm and the sector changes as the sector is adjusted, most of the wear occurs where the wheels are aimed straight forward, whenever you adjust the box, make sure you crank the steering to the stops in both directions, snug in the middle may be too tight at the ends, i like to put the front axle up on jack stands and do it with the engine off, the power steering boost makes it hard to feel it binding.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior User

fitzmotor is starting off with a positive reputation.
fitzmotor fitzmotor fitzmotor
If you get it too tight it will have memory steer, that is where when you turn the wheel slightly off center when driving straight it wont return to center.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Posting Guru

wyckedcombo17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not sure which box you have, but first you need to adjust the preload on the worm gear shaft. Once that is okay, then check your sector shaft backlash. I'm not sure of the specs cos I'm out of town right now, you'd have to look in your Haynes manual or something.

1978 F-250 412/NP435/NP205/D44 D60
Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
Well I turned it to the right some; seems a little better but still wondering some; I probably didn't turn it enough or done it right. Will carry it to a mechanic in the morning- IF they are open.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Elder User

Blue and White is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Adusting will get some slop out but won't fully compensate for wear. I've been able to get "a little better" by adjusting but never "just right". Too much adjustment will hurt the box and cause other problems. It may be time for a rebuilt box.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Postmaster

Well I got a new steering gear box but I just came back from the mechanics. They say the box is good. They pointed out that my worn out shocks would be a problem and there is like a center link (but it's connected to the axles instead of the steering components) that moves...looks like the bushings in it are worn out. Will that cause a problem?

I am also running 38s and they mention I have a small steering wheel which could cause it to feel weird.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Amatuer Restorer

gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.
Any bushing in the front end can cause problems. Each little bit of play compounds things. The fact you're running 38's is going to hard on everything and make any weakness show up more. Even with everything in good working order, properly aligned, type tire and air pressure can cause wandering.

66 Bronco Half Cab, 203ci I6, CI aluminum head and intake, Isky 256/256 cam, Keith Black pistons, Clifford header, Holley 390cfm 4v, 9.7:1 comp, DSII ignition
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Postmaster

Well; looks like I need to get some new front shocks and get them little bushings for that bar (don't know what that bar is called)
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1979, 4x4, adjust, adjusting, adjustment, box, courier, f100, ford, gear, gearbox, screw, sector, steering, truck, worn