1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

turbo issues. 7.3 powerstroke

Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo issues. 7.3 powerstroke

anyone done a turbo rebuild? today i had no power, very little boost, and burned fuel something ugly. ive been thinking my turbo is gettin worn maybe? anyway, took off the pipes from the turbo to the heads, inside of turbo and pipes are covered in oil. normal? bad? then i start it, sure seems like a lot of air coming out, i put my hand over it for a little, got oily air, residue on my hand. is this normal? is there a seal out?
im going to remove turbo and check for exhaust leaks and such tomorrow, thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is normal for there to be oil in the intake (compressor) side of the turbo. Mostly it come from the CCV (crankcase vent) that vents the crancase fumes back into the intake. It would ne a good idea to check for boost leaks and to makr sure the EBPV isn't closing when it isn't supposed to be. Just inplug it and try it that way for a while if there is any question.

As far as the turbo goes, theck the shaft at the intake. A little up and down play is alright as long as the compressor wheel doesn't contact the housing. In and out play is not good. Also look carefully at the wheel itself. The fins should be sharp and square and it shouldn't look like it has been sand blasted. Rebuilding it is not a big deal but removing it is a pain.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Unplug the elec. connection for the map sensor and take it for a drive. It will set a cel, but see how it runs. Also check the hose to the map, make sure its not clogged or cracked.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
diy, EBPV?? whats that? and what is normal boost? its a 94 powerstroke, 5 speed. i run it to 2k rpm and shift, if that. its also proggramed, which would change boost right? it seems im not getting any boost unless i really put my foot in it, other wise reg driving gets 3-4 usualy. good?

Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 PM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
Originally Posted by rollinblackcloud
diy, EBPV?? whats that? and what is normal boost? its a 94 powerstroke, 5 speed. i run it to 2k rpm and shift, if that. its also proggramed, which would change boost right? it seems im not getting any boost unless i really put my foot in it, other wise reg driving gets 3-4 usualy. good?
Exaust back psi valve. Unplug it. Passenger side,front of head,looks like the icp.thers a lil tube connected to it. It runs to the head. Also,i do beleive thers a plug right upunder your intake. (cold side) of turbo. He is correct in sayn the map,it will kill power. Exaust all avenues before replacin turbo,unless u just want a new one

Old 12-24-2011, 07:55 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
Looked all around my turbo, no plug at all. There is the lever on the bottom for the waste gate i think. But thats it. Anyone have a pic of the ebpv? And looking around on here ive heard of the ebps? Sensor? I got a look in my turbo, fins look good, 2 fins have slight roughness, but not much. No up/down or in/out play at all.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
The lever under the bottom is the actuating arm of the EBPV. These things get stuck and give you no power. It was designed to produce back pressure on the engine to warm it up faster. I got rid of mine 12 years ago and the truck runs much better for it especially at -40*. Warms up slower but that is what a heated garage or block heater is for in my climate.

The plug for it comes off the wiring harness on the drivers side kind of below the turbo intake in the V (valley of death) of the motor. It is a two prong connection, follow it back from the actuating lever on the bottom of the turbo, disconnect it and tape it off. If you do work on the turbo or replace the exhaust system you may want to consider removing the EBPV entirely and un-restricting your exhaust.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
Ok, good instructions. It has 3.5" turbo back to 4" to 6" stacks. So theres not much piping its pretty open, its also dumping more black smoke then normal. I will check out all the wires

Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Dumping black smoke is indicative of less boost than usual or a rich running condition. If the turbo is nor spooling the increase on smoke would make sense. Try inplugging the EBPV and see if that helps. Also as was said unplug the electrical connector on the MAP sensor (it is on the firewall near rhe heater core and has a hose running to the intake plenum). Also checking for boost leaks would be a good idea. Look for soot on the up pipes or on the firewall. There is also a thread on here about how to build your own boost leak detector out of PVC and a tire valve stem. Then you can spray it down with soapy water and look for bubbles.

I haven't heard of unplugging the back prsssure sensor, but I am mot sure that sensor does much other than verify the function of the EBPV.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The EBPV lug is under the front driver side of the turbo.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:12 AM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
This is how i did mine 3 yrs ago when i had a 7.3. Ive been bittin by the 6.0 bug now.

Remove turbo and take the pedastal to your bench. Ta ke the snap ring off the pedastal and remove internals,rod and all. Thread a bolt were the rod use to be and use that grey oil pan gasket sealer on the bolt.ford sells it.great stuff btw. Take your turbo and take the hot side off and knock the butterfly valve out. One side off it has a feeze plug,the other,you will need to install one on the other side. That may fix your prob,but you need a scanner to read some values,hell, it could be anything.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Abelexcavating
Junior User
My truck is very weak, and doesnt blow any smoke at all. I also never hear the turbo. Did you ever find any solutions?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Abelexcavating
My truck is very weak, and doesnt blow any smoke at all. I also never hear the turbo. Did you ever find any solutions?
Have you tried the map sensor like I mentioned in post 3?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Abelexcavating
Junior User
I have andit didnt seem to make much of a difference, but I wil try again since I have done alot between then and now.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
I took the ebpv connector rod off, and wired strapped the lug, flap open. I shoulda hooked up a cable like mentioned in other posts for a jake brake. Anyway i sid find that all of my exhaust bolts, manifolds to turbo, were all semi loose. Probably leaking. I tightened them all. I originaly was attempting to remove the turbo, but wow. What a ROYAL pain! I opted out, i still think i have an issue somewhere, i have not done the map yet. I dont have a code reader to remove the light. My truck is edge programmed, so it is pretty quick, i have turned it to stock and been uderly wowed, on stock its depressing! Lol. On stock i have no smoke, no power and no turbo noise either. Its a stock turbo 185k miles. Its programmed, and very open exhaust. I know the truck is very rich, when i punch it, it dumps smoke. Not much but a good amount. Im thinking my turbo is just getting old, i have some bad exhaust to turbo gaskets. And its running to rich for the turbo to keep up. Thats my guess. I also found i had a decent fuel leak the day of attempting to remove the turbo, so that could have been a large part of the low power issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo issues. 7.3 powerstroke