Bad Batch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



Bad Batch

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Tom D Tom D is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 490
Tom D is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Bad Batch

After approx 1800 gal under my belt, I was surprised when I saw what the BD looked like after I let it settle. I used the same formula and the oil is from the same source. Temp same, etc.
I took a sample and titrated it using the additional 8 gallons as the amount (methanol added plus the original 40) I was surprised to see that it titrated the same as the usual raw oil I start with. It was as if I didn't process it at all. I will take Fab's advice and process a small amount to see what happened. I am puzzled. The BD demons were watching me. Or maybe it was Beachkid.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my biodiesel friends. (You too Beachkid)
Tom D
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
freesoul freesoul is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE Pennsyltucky
Posts: 236
freesoul has a good reputation on FTE.freesoul has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
I took a sample and titrated it using the additional 8 gallons as the amount (methanol added plus the original 40)
I don't know what this means. Titration has nothing to do with volume of your batch except when it comes to how much caustic and methanol to use.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Rushmore X's Avatar
Rushmore X Rushmore X is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rapid City SD
Posts: 3,601
Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Once I had a batch that didn't seperate right and I got away with heating it up again with the pump running and letting it settle out again. Just a thought?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
freesoul freesoul is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE Pennsyltucky
Posts: 236
freesoul has a good reputation on FTE.freesoul has a good reputation on FTE.
he had to be missing something- either heat,time, mixing, proper amount of methanol or caustic.

I put a batch together yesterday and it wasn't even up to full temp so we just let it mix a little longer and it turned out fine. It was around 135F when I started mixing in the methoxide- couldn't wait any longer for it to heat up. Titrated at 3.2 with 21% MBV.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Beechkid Beechkid is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,804
Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
After approx 1800 gal under my belt, I was surprised when I saw what the BD looked like after I let it settle. I used the same formula and the oil is from the same source. Temp same, etc.
I took a sample and titrated it using the additional 8 gallons as the amount (methanol added plus the original 40) I was surprised to see that it titrated the same as the usual raw oil I start with. It was as if I didn't process it at all. I will take Fab's advice and process a small amount to see what happened. I am puzzled. The BD demons were watching me. Or maybe it was Beachkid.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my biodiesel friends. (You too Beachkid)
Tom D
well Merry X-max to you too. It is not just bringing the product to temperature, but the rate of rise affects the final product as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Rushmore X's Avatar
Rushmore X Rushmore X is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rapid City SD
Posts: 3,601
Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
135 is plenty warm. I usually turn of the heat at 125. Reaction is exothermic, so it self sustains...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Rushmore X's Avatar
Rushmore X Rushmore X is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rapid City SD
Posts: 3,601
Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
well Merry X-max to you too. It is not just bringing the product to temperature, but the rate of rise affects the final product as well.
Merry Christmas to all as well. Hope everyone has a happy new year in 2012.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
bd, company, models, powered, vbulletin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.