Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What made you pick an Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Ford super duty trucks and have owned 3 of them. Since the X is built off of the super duty platform that was a big plus. I also like the vast among of space inside. Just the perfect vehicle for me.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
Well, before we print this edition of the history book, let's go for completeness. Have you posted Ninety Two THOUSAND times in the past 3+years, or were you active here while still coveting Ford ownership?
3 years, 4 months, 22 days, 16 hours = 92k+.......lol

Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
KMUL
Junior User
Only vehicle that has a diesel engine (we tow a toy hauler in Colorado), seats 8 comfortably and room to fit the dogs in the back, and it fits in my garage.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Joemz9
Junior User
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow
I would disagree with that. When the kids get to the point where each one wants his/her own row because the other one is "mean" or some such and then you are on a road trip with luggage or you've got the dog/dogs with you etc... I found out the hard way that even a full size SUV like an Expy runs out of room REALLY fast when you think you have plenty of space.

I actually been lucky they don't fight as much to want their own row, but if and when the time comes I'll have the extra room X ftw!!!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Sader
Senior User
Diesel capable, a lot of interior storage room. When traveling with my daughters softball team I was constantly moving gear into the cab of our F250 for security. I can pack it once in the Excursion and come and go as we please. Great highway cruiser.

Cheers

Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Towing ability and room to travel.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 AM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll never forget the first time I saw an Excursion. SUV's seemed to be all the rage, and seemed to be getting a bit bigger every year. So I was walking through the parking lot of the local grocery store and saw this enormous SUV parked in front of it. I remember turning to my wife and saying "Good Lord, now that's ridiculous!"

A few years later a local customer of mine named ***** came by driving his, and being that I was kind of 'truckless' at the time and had never seen one, other than in parking lots, I asked him if he'd show it to me. Being a practical person, I was completely taken by the fact that you could fold the seats down and fit 8 or more feet of lumber inside, or 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. I also loved the fact that it had a diesel engine in it which I had already decided was something I wanted in my 'ideal' vehicle, for towing and hauling capabilities amongst other reasons. I then started drooling over the leather seats that I'd always wanted, the four bucket seats, the heated front seats, 4 x 4, and the DVD player. With stars in my eyes, and probably visibly drooling a bit, I said "hey *****, I probably need this more than you do!" ***** said, "Well Mike, you probably do. I may decide to sell it in the next few months, do you want me to call you if I do?" I said absolutely, and about a year and a half later he called, ready to sell it. The rest is history...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:18 AM
GermanMike
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Excursion was the only logical solution.
I drove 2 Dodge Rams, but my wife didn't like them. So if it come to buy a new " used " one, she recommend a SUV.
Yes mistress, was everything I could answer.
Ok, I want a ladder styled frame, so the most SUV here in Germany fall apart.
Mitsubishi Pajero and Toyota Land Cruiser are way to small
Mercedes G Class to small and lightly over my budget.
Dodge don't make one
Chevrolet Suburban or Tahoe? No straight axle, no rear disk brakes
Ford? Excursion - the only choice thats useful and sane
The most parts are oversized, simple and cheap, with only some exceptions.
You can do the most repairs on your own, with a little help from friends and the www.
Best Truck I ever owned.
Merry Xmas to everyone.
Michael

Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Was driving a 98 Expedition that I loved. Went on a winter trip to Fairbanks, Alaska to visit relatives. Rental unit was an Excursion. After driving it for the week up there, as they say, the rest is history. Really needed the upgraded towing for my work trailer and TT. A trip we took the first year out to Yellowstone pulling our TT would have killed the old Expedition.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. It's the largest SUV known to man
2. a well maintained 7.3L can reach 450,000+ miles
3. will own it for at least 15 years - heck maybe 20
4. will easily go 550 miles between fill ups on road trips
5. The best road trip vehicle we've owned

Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 AM
MikeRizz
Senior User
Having previously owned two Expeditions, which I liked, but needed something that would tow better. At the time we had a travel trailer and a car trailer. I also knew I liked the SUV over a pick up. Being a Ford guy the Excursion was the only choice! Now on my third X, this one I want to keep for many years ( unless I find a deal on a 7.3 ).

Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 AM
dsquared
Elder User
In November 2007, I had 3 foster kids (teens) and my F-150 just wasn't cutting it to haul everyone around on court-ordered visits, family outings, etc.... Got the Excursion and LOVE it... No longer have the kids, but still have the Ex. It's a great road trip vehicle; and I don't think I could get the wife to go distances in anything less.... We just pulled our 26" TT to Phoenix area to visit my step-mom. Didn't have to stop for fuel on either leg. Filled it before I left Ontario; filled it in Phoenix. Got ~ 11.5 MPG.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsquared
In November 2007, I had 3 foster kids ............
Bless you and your family for helping those kids -

Merry Christmas to you!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,672 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Originally Posted by dsquared
In November 2007, I had 3 foster kids (teens) and my F-150 just wasn't cutting it to haul everyone around on court-ordered visits, family outings, etc.... Got the Excursion and LOVE it... No longer have the kids, but still have the Ex. It's a great road trip vehicle; and I don't think I could get the wife to go distances in anything less.... We just pulled our 26" TT to Phoenix area to visit my step-mom. Didn't have to stop for fuel on either leg. Filled it before I left Ontario; filled it in Phoenix. Got ~ 11.5 MPG.
Reps for the foster care. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Always drove Fords, then in 1997 ordered a 98 Suburban. I still think that they took our picture and put it up in the factory over a bin for rejected parts. First warranty visit was less than a week after pickup... We NEVER took a family vacation without an unplanned visit to a Chevy dealership for emergency service of some type. Worst vehicle I have ever owned!!!!! In 2001 with 70K miles it started to use antifreeze. Talked to the Chevy mechanic that I knew too well and he said we will have to tear into the engine to see what's wrong. On the way home from work I spotted a new Excursion, 2002 just off the transport truck. Stopped and looked at it, it had the second row bucket seats that I wanted and the 7.3. We test drove it, fell absolutley in love with it and worked out the deal and drove it home that day. Opened the garage door to find a 6" puddle of transmission fluid from the Suburban. My wife said great timing right?
The Excursion now has 170,000 miles on it, has saved my family from 2 drunk drivers and does everything I want it to do. It is now not my dailey driver, so it gets the weekdays off and will tow the new Artic Fox TT 30" we are ordering very well. It has the V/B code spring swap, MM hubs and 285 TA KOs on it. It has 3 dog crates in it for our Labs and a 5 day cooler fits between the rear bucket seats to keep the kids happy. Unlike the Suburban, this is the BEST vehicle I have every owned!!!!

Quick Reply: What made you pick an Excursion?