S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Date Set For Pismo GTG/W NorCal Chapter (Feb 4) Updated with pics!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Date Set For Pismo GTG/W NorCal Chapter (Feb 4) Updated with pics!

Hey all,

We here in the central valley of the Nor/Cal chapter have been trying to setup a GTG for months now, but schedules, and other commitments it seems always throws a monkey wrench in our plans. We have decided on a place, Pismo Beach, now only need to find a weekend that works with as many people as possible. It has been suggested by Wpnaes to invite So/Cal members to the GTG as well. So here is the invite. I am thinking the earliest we could do this would be January, as the holidays are fast approaching, and people already have plans. I do not plan on going anywhere on the New Years Eve weekend, so it would have to be after that. I have never been to Pismo, so I don't know how cold, or rainy, it can be in the winter months. Not being an experienced 4x4 driver, I would hate to get stuck my first time out. Any and all thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Jim

Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 AM
barthel
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Air down (WAY down), set it on 4Hi and you won't get stuck.

We would be up for it if it were later in the month, we're committed to trips at New Years and the weekend after (I think it's the 7th).

I've only been to Pismo in the spring/summer so I have no idea how cold it gets there in January. But the riding/wheeling there is awesome and it's great having the beach right there.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 AM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we got stuck our first time...aired down, but forgot to the lock the hubs, we were all good after that dumb mistake haha

Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I would be willing to come. Just let me know when and I'll request it off

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Awesome, sounds good. So, possibly the 14th, or 21st of January then? Does anyone have a portable air compressor to air back up with? I have a compressor, but it is AC and would do no good out there.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barthel
I've only been to Pismo in the spring/summer so I have no idea how cold it gets there in January.
Average Weather for Pismo Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

It can get pretty darned cold there in January...click on the "Record Lows" box...but that's what fires are for

Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Doh, that's shorts weather Steve. As long as the ocean doesn't freeze, it'll be fine...

I'm booked every weekend in January, so one vote for any weekend in February.

Onboard compressor to boot.

Originally Posted by wpnaes
Thus far we have February 4th for the Pismo beach get together. Meet around 11AM for a beach BBQ at Post 4! Lasts until we run out of burgers/hotdogs. Sign up below (with what you'll bring for a potluck and anything else in brackets).

Those planning on spending the night on the beach, check with: Oceano Dunes - California State Parks of the San Luis Obispo Coast

1. Sean and family (canopy shades, kids picnic table, burger patties & buns, air compressor, winch...).

2. Jim (chips, dip, sodas).

3. Dave, Dad (quad)

4. Rob

5. Chris (loosely)

6. Jr and wife

Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Okay, I guess we will shoot for February then. Give me more time to save up some gas money. maybe even find a portable compressor to take on the trip too. As for the temps, it does not look any different then here. So that should not be an issue.

Jim

Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
F4WineGuy
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh... pismo's not that cold. Won't be snowing at least. I'll make the time to come on down. Let me know and i'll tell the boss. I'll bring some beverages. The muse may inspire me to whip up a batch of homebrew... we'll see how it goes

Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive got a compressor i can bring along. pretty much any weekend works for me.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
barthel
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Does anyone have a portable air compressor to air back up with? I have a compressor, but it is AC and would do no good out there.
I have a portable that hooks up to the battery, plus I carry a CO2 tank.

If me and the fam went I'd probably take my trailer and stay the night, and if I do then I'd have A/C for your portable.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Ah, that is good to know. I can pack it with me then just in case.

Jim

Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The sooner there's an exact date the better so I can ask off. I don't have a 4x4 anymore, just a RWD with an open diff so I wouldn't be doing much offroading, but it would be cool to finally meet some people!

As for offroading tips, in sand and mud I've had good luck with keeping my momentum up and right foot firmly in the throttle. That was with my 2WD Expedition that had a LSD. 4x4 in my diesel wasn't nearly as fun as keeping it in 2WD and whipping the rear end out. I agree with airing down for sand too; it's a must. And if you have street tires, I've seen guys use snow chains in sand and mud. Looks funny, and it really isn't recommended, but it works!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Haven't received any feedback yet from the Nor/Cal folks, so it is still up in the air. Other than being in February, I don't know an exact date. Maybe throw the Saturday the 4th out there, and lets see if anyone can commit to that. If not, then the 18th? I don't know, I may have a job by then and not be so free, but for now, lets try and shoot for the 4th. Anyone know for sure if they can't do that day?

I can bring some food, (chips, dip, etc) and drinks, but no alcohol, sorry guys, I can't buy that on my food stamp card, so if you want that you will need to bring your own. I have owned a grand total of four 4x4's, and have never had the chance to ever go four wheeling in any of them with the exception of the S10 Blazer I owned which as it turned out was not capable of 4x4 because the PO had removed the front drive shaft! Thank God, I did not get stuck as it turns out, it did not even have a Limited slip diff either. Guess I better double check the Bronco to make sure it has a front drive shaft eh?

Jim

Last edited by Nighteyez; 12-20-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my experience that's the best way to do it, Jim...put a date out there and go for it. You'll rarely be able to find a date that fits for everyone, but giving a few weeks notice gives the best chance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Date Set For Pismo GTG/W NorCal Chapter (Feb 4) Updated with pics!