Sponsored by: Moser

Newbie 1978 F250 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
jtindale
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAOTIC
Yes, as long as you use the stock rim size and tire. Search the web or junk yards, they are easy to install.
Will do. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Buck0
Junior User
This looks like it's going to be a great build. Keep up the great work. I'm subscribing.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
jtindale
Senior User

Originally Posted by Buck0
This looks like it's going to be a great build. Keep up the great work. I'm subscribing.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Buck0!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
jtindale
Senior User

I've been a bit busy the last week so haven't done too much to the truck but I was able to get the brakes finished and shocks half way mounted. I'm guessing there isn't enough weight on the springs to get the shocks to fully reach through the top mounting brackets.

Trying to get the brake lines in now but having an issue with the ones that connect to the proportioning valve. I'm thinking I'm going to have to custom make a few of the lines but waiting to confirm with Inline Tubing now. After that I'll start on the fuel system.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 PM
CHAOTIC
Freshman User
One thing I'd recommend if you're not doing it already, use a tap and die to clean up all your bolts, studs and threads. Your wheel stud picture reminded me. Run a die over all the threads to clean off any overspray or rust. It'll make assembly a lot easier and assist with proper torque specs.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
jtindale
Senior User

Originally Posted by CHAOTIC
One thing I'd recommend if you're not doing it already, use a tap and die to clean up all your bolts, studs and threads. Your wheel stud picture reminded me. Run a die over all the threads to clean off any overspray or rust. It'll make assembly a lot easier and assist with proper torque specs.

Didn't know that CHAOTIC so thanks for the tip!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
CaperFord
Junior User
Great Build! ... If you don't have any prior experience doing this type of work, you could have fooled me!

I'm hoping to do a similar tear down and build with my truck. For a few reasons, but mainly to tighten everything up and to learn as much as I can. I'm subscribing to your thread for inspiration and tips!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
jtindale
Senior User

Originally Posted by CaperFord
Great Build! ... If you don't have any prior experience doing this type of work, you could have fooled me!

I'm hoping to do a similar tear down and build with my truck. For a few reasons, but mainly to tighten everything up and to learn as much as I can. I'm subscribing to your thread for inspiration and tips!

Thanks CaperFord. I don't have have much auto mechanic experience whatsoever. It's only by the help of this forum I have made it this far.

Good luck on your project. I started with the exact same reason in mind and this is the perfect place to learn from. Make sure you start a build thread of your own and many of the great folks on here will chime in to help out.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM
jtindale
Senior User

Thought I would post an update to my build thread since it has been a while. Although progress has been slow lately I'm finally starting to get somewhere within the last two weeks or so.

Since my last update I got the brake, fuel and vapor lines in. They are all SS from Inline. Some pre-bent and others bent by hand.

I clear coated the fuel tanks and mounted them:

I also had a chance to strip the cab down, sand it and shoot it with epoxy primer. I put a few coats of bed liner under the cab to hopefully offer some protection and deaden the sound a bit (picture is before the bed liner).

I had to do a bit of body work on the cab to get it in shape as the floor boards were rusted out and there was a rusted patch on the back I had to cut out and replace. I'll try and get photo's of that uploaded later this week.

Lastly I tore the engine down and took it to a machine shop (that was a few months ago). The machine tore down easily so I feel like the PO may have had it rebuilt not long ago. The cylinders were pretty clean, heads came off easily, etc.

My engine was at the machine shop for a few months. He was cleaning it up, doing a valve job, and the normal work. I got all new internals and he was going to try and get compression up over 9:1. Because he took so long to complete the job he also opened up the exhaust ports on the heads for me for free.

While my engine was at the machine shop I've been ordering new parts such as headers, intake manifold, valve covers, breather, water pump, etc.

I also rebuilt my carb was I was waiting:

I got the engine back this week so I can start my assembly soon.

I'll try and get some new pictures up this weekend of the cab and motor assembly.

Thanks to everyone on this forum that has helped me in my various threads. Couldn't do it without you guys.

Last edited by jtindale; 07-11-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixing broken links
Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM
jtindale
Senior User

Also, I'm looking for tips on painting. If anyone has any I'm all ears. I'd like to paint the interior and maybe rear of the cab this weekend and then hold off on the rest until I get the bed, doors and hood ready. I'm just not sure how to go about painting the rear of cab meaning what should I mask off? Do I mask off all but the rounded rear corners and paint the back, then once its on the chassis with the bed paint the rest? I'm not sure if that will leave an awkard line. I hope that question makes sense.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jtindale
Also, I'm looking for tips on painting. If anyone has any I'm all ears. I'd like to paint the interior and maybe rear of the cab this weekend and then hold off on the rest until I get the bed, doors and hood ready. I'm just not sure how to go about painting the rear of cab meaning what should I mask off? Do I mask off all but the rounded rear corners and paint the back, then once its on the chassis with the bed paint the rest? I'm not sure if that will leave an awkard line. I hope that question makes sense.

Here's a good read;
Perfect Paint Job

Also read pages 31 - 33 of this;
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/TechManual.pdf

and another one or four;
What every new painter must read!!

Some advice for newbie

Deviations from the perfect job

Masking

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM
jtindale
Senior User

Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Thanks again Grubbworm! All good reads and I'll be sure to go through them again before the weekend. I never knew the masking tape subject would be so in-depth.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
jtindale
Senior User

Posting some pictures of the work that went into getting the cab ready.

Here's what the original floorboards looked like. They were completely rusted through by the rocker panels.

and there was a nice rusty patch on the rear of the cab (bottom left). It was completely rusted through the exterior sheet metal.

Here's the repair on the rear

My father in law came over to show me how to do the passenger side floorboard.

This was my first attempt to weld sheet metal so don't laugh.

Here's the view from the bottom.

Here I'm putting my first coat of bedliner on.

Can't wait to get going on some more!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 PM
stickbow9
Freshman User
Hello, I am new to this site and just picked up a great '77 hi-boy 250. I AM going to do exactly what you are doing and am glad to see it can be done by someone who doesn't have that background. Thanks for the examples. I am going to do this after my son drives it through high school.
I look forward to seeing more.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 PM
jtindale
Senior User

<p>
Originally Posted by stickbow9
Hello, I am new to this site and just picked up a great '77 hi-boy 250. I AM going to do exactly what you are doing and am glad to see it can be done by someone who doesn't have that background. Thanks for the examples. I am going to do this after my son drives it through high school.</p>
<p>I look forward to seeing more.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Thanks stickbow9 and congrats on your purchase!

It can definitely be done thanks to the amount of resources out there- this forum, books, manuals, diagrams, charts, pictured, etc..

Good luck and tell your son to be nice to her.

Quick Reply: Newbie 1978 F250 Rebuild