Sponsored by: Moser

My sad story (Repairing my truck)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 PM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sad story (Repairing my truck)

Welp, this all began Friday, I was heading out to my friends house, and before I went I stopped to get gas. After I had went inside and payed, I went to pump my gas and then I hear a "Bang!" I look up and I see a trailblazer being pushed and then it turned. I'm thinking "That sucks, someone missed the brake pedal" Then from behind it here comes this junky 90's GMC truck idling straight towards my truck. Next thing ya know "Bang!" At first I thought the guy was drunk or high ad I was furious. Then I hear "He's having a seisure!!!" Fortunatley the guy was okay, but unfortunatley I can't say the same for my truck...And even worse I only have PL and PD so I have no damage coverage...

I'll post up more picturesof the damage later, all she really needed was a grille shell, a front bumper, and a right fender. The right headlight is a little crooked but I think that's just because the grille shell got pushed back, I'll get to that when we put the new one on. lol

Here's the new grille shell we picked up at Parts Galore in Flat Rock, MI. $27.80 ain't a bad price is it? It's actually in better shape than the old grille shell...

Here's the fenders we picked up for $70, we're only gonna use the right one for now, but they're from a Lariat truck so they're gonna need some holes filled and bumps ground down. How do you go about this? I was thinking for the holes, just weld some pennies behind there and bondo over them and grind the bumps down... Gonna leave them blue or primer gray for now, the trucks going to be repainted this Summer so I could careless if I have a mismatched fender, as long as it's straight...

And here's the bumper we picked up for $40, not as nice as the original, but for $40, why not? It's got the bumps from rust beneath the chrome, but it still shines, we might not use it if we can straighten the old bumper out...

Any questions, tips, comments, concerns? Anything's welcome...

I plan on updating this once we make some progress...

Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch! Sry to hear that. better than my little accident. I left my '79 Bronco in Drive with the parking break on and it decided it was going to move anyways and ran into a wall in my front yard So i too have a bent bumper, grill frame, and side panel.... Not fun at all

Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Did the other guy not have liability? Why do you have to pay for it all out of pocket?

Also, did you file a police report? The guy should not be driving.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
They hit your truck while it was parked, therefore their insurance should be paying for the damage. If they don't have insurance, then the driver is responsible for the bill.
Siezure while driving, hopefully they lost their license. I'd hate to think anyone would be stupid enough to allow someone to continue operating a vehicle after having a seizure that resulted in a crash......

As for filling the holes in the fenders, either weld a small piece of sheetmetal to the backside, thru the holes, or just weld the holes themselves. Placing something on the backside and filling with bondo will work, for a few days......

Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts
Ouch, the 2nd worse place to be hit, your core could be shifted back and over. At least you have access to great priced parts, and are the back side of the fender gaps way off now or get into the door?

Use the good fender to get the cowl back in line (front to back wise) and straight edge the cab/door to l/r the core support with the fenders.

Old bumpers never want to straighten out once the metal has been stretched, good luck. Once again sorry to hear about your rig.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Ouch, the 2nd worse place to be hit, your core could be shifted back and over. At least you have access to great priced parts, and are the back side of the fender gaps way off now or get into the door?

Use the good fender to get the cowl back in line (front to back wise) and straight edge the cab/door to l/r the core support with the fenders.

Old bumpers never want to straighten out once the metal has been stretched, good luck. Once again sorry to hear about your rig.
The right side fender did get pushed back a little so it is closer to the door, but it doesn't rub or anything, the core doesn't look like it got affected much...

Here are a few pics of the damage...

Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 AM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
They hit your truck while it was parked, therefore their insurance should be paying for the damage. If they don't have insurance, then the driver is responsible for the bill.
Siezure while driving, hopefully they lost their license. I'd hate to think anyone would be stupid enough to allow someone to continue operating a vehicle after having a seizure that resulted in a crash......

As for filling the holes in the fenders, either weld a small piece of sheetmetal to the backside, thru the holes, or just weld the holes themselves. Placing something on the backside and filling with bondo will work, for a few days......
That's the thing, my dad doesn't wanna file anything about it, because I'm 16...and our insurance would probably go up...The guy is probably on a probation thing where he'll have to go so long without having another one before driving. And the best idea for the fenders would be welding a piece of sheetmetal in the holes themselves and then do the necessary bodywork, instead of welding something on the backside and bondo'ing over it?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:34 AM
FordMaverickFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by SuperDuty93
Ouch! Sry to hear that. better than my little accident. I left my '79 Bronco in Drive with the parking break on and it decided it was going to move anyways and ran into a wall in my front yard So i too have a bent bumper, grill frame, and side panel.... Not fun at all
Ouch man, sorry to hear that, did you ever get her fixed?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
How the hell does that guy even have a license if he has seisures ? I don't know about your state but in Pa. he would not have a license. Doctors are required to notify the DMV and they take your license till a doctor says you are ok to drive. Hopefully the poliece will now take his license before someone does get hurt.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about that, you have a nice truck, luckily no one was hurt, your truck "took one for the team" lol. I have a similar story. 4 or 5 years ago, I was unloading my stuff into a buddys big rig as I was going over the road with him. He kept the rig parked on a dead end service road behind a new store. I was in the passenger side door when I heard him holler from the rig, I looked up in time to see a late model F-150 coming across the parking lot at 2-3 mph, driving over a landscape island with a 6'' curb, run over a freshly planted sapling and hit the front fender on my 2004 ranger. By this time I had ran around to the F-150 but the door was locked. A dog was in the front passenger seat, lol.

Walked in the store, asked whose white F-150 was out their, owner saw it gone took off running thinking it was stolen, we said, no bud, its out their where it came to rest against my fender. He was thunderstruck. He apparently had left it in drive, it climbed the small incline in front of the store and traveled about 100 ft before it hit me. Luckily his insurance took care of it.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMaverickFan
That's the thing, my dad doesn't wanna file anything about it, because I'm 16...and our insurance would probably go up...The guy is probably on a probation thing where he'll have to go so long without having another one before driving.

I think I would tell my dad if he didn't want to report it and have the other guy's insurance pay for the repairs, that he could come out of pocket and fix it, fix it himself, or take it to a body shop to fix and he could pay. If the other guy hit your vehicle and you were not in it, it does not go on your insurance record, his insurance will have to pay. Good luck, and that's a nice truck.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMaverickFan
That's the thing, my dad doesn't wanna file anything about it, because I'm 16...and our insurance would probably go up...
That doesn't make any sense. Filing a claim with his insurance (if he even has it) has nothing to do with your insurance. Your insurance wouldn't get involved unless you had comprehensive coverage and filed a claim with them too, which you stated is not the case. Not to mention, this guy should already be calling you offering to help in any way he can (giving you his insurance information, etc). If he hasn't done that, then he probably doesn't have insurance. Driving a crappy 90's GMC in primer would go along with that assumption.

And even if you did get your insurance involved (again, no reason to), then your truck got hit while it was parked, by someone who should not be behind the wheel to boot. If your insurance rates go up for that, you should switch insurance companies.

Probably too late now, but you should always file a police report for this kind of stuff because then there is a record behind it. Depending on different factors, people who are prone to seizures aren't supposed to drive. Getting him off the road would save the next guy from getting hit - everyone was lucky that this time it happened while coasting at a gas station. Some people have seizures on the highway and kill several people.

Not trying to sling you out in this - I know it sucks enough already. Just advice for the future. Sorry to hear about your situation, I know how it feels. My truck got plowed by an illegal immigrant without a license or insurance. Fortunately it worked out because I carry uninsured coverage. You'd be foolish not to have that in Texas, as almost 1/3 of the population does NOT have insurance. People who drive without insurance are one step from the very bottom, the very bottom being car thieves IMO.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I concur, reporting to insurance should not effect your rate at all. You weren't at fault.
In the trucking industry, they don't care about fault. They rule accidents as "Preventable" and "Non-Preventable". Around 95% are preventable, because there was something the driver could have done to prevent it from happening, even if the trucker was not at fault.
This one, would have been in the rare Non-Preventable class. Kinda hard to prevent someone else from doing something stupid and hitting your vehicle, when you aren't even in it......... Especially when you factor in a medical condition, that there was not way you could have known about.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Agreed. Go after his insurance! HE hit YOUR truck while YOU WERE PARKED. How does that reflect badly on you??!! I wouldn't be so nice about it.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The old Ford took the hit like a champ.

Sorry for what happened to your truck....it still looks great anyway. Won't take ya long to straighten it back out.

I had the entire bedside on my 73 F100 crushed awhile back...had to put a new panel on...good as new now.

Glad everybody is ok.

Quick Reply: My sad story (Repairing my truck)